Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not eating after new kitten

Vito

Site Supporter
Really hope Felix pulls through and picks up with meds given. Is there a possibility of getting an ultrasound? , though ultrasound sometimes doesn't always pick up on a blockage, especially if it is a linear object. Could possibly be enteritis? There are so many possibilities and that's what's frustrating. Please keep us updated on Felix, we're all rooting for him.

LEM91

Savannah Adult
Well after the fluids and meds this am he didn’t eat or drink anything all day and didn’t use the litter box once. I made the decision to take him back and get him hospitalized for IVF as he obviously wasn’t hydrated enough since he wasn’t peeing.

Dropped him off at the emergency vet we’d seen earlier today, with plan for fluids overnight and another x ray and labs in the am. They called me a few hours later and said they’d made a mistake and aren’t allowed to care for Savannah’s because it’s a liability. They are the only vet in town open on the weekends. They won’t even do another x ray now. I did get them to at least given another dose of subcutaneous fluids.

I can’t believe this is happening, at least he got more fluids, here’s to hoping I can get him eating...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Oh no! How awful! How far is the next town/city... I can't believe that they've treated him and NOW they decide not anymore?

LEM91

Savannah Adult
Oh no! How awful! How far is the next town/city... I can't believe that they've treated him and NOW they decide not anymore?
Agree, it’s crazy. They had a change of vets working and the one on now apparently knew rules the other one didn’t so I had to go pick him up. They said they called around and none of the other emergency vets in nearby towns would take him. There is an exotic vet 1.5 hrs away that was willing to see him.

They got him to eat 1 shrimp that I’d left with him, the only thing he’s eaten in now 4 days. I think with the extra fluids I’ll watch him at home tonight and make the drive in the am if I have too. I’m hoping he’ll start eating and drinking some and can hold out until his regular vet is back open Monday. We decided to bring him back home instead of back to my parents but moved our kitten and dog to my parents house. Trying to give him the most comfortable and low stress environment we can.

I feel bad for the kitten having to move with just getting familiar here, I took her bed, toys, and bowls there and set her up in a quarantine bathroom and will go see her in the am. Just trying to everything I can to keep everyone healthy.

LEM91

Savannah Adult
Good news, two big pee clumps in the litter box today so that second dose of fluids must have helped, and I’ve gotten him to eat 8 shrimp throughout the day!

I know he needs to eat more but something is better than nothing and our normal vet will be back open in the am.

He’s acting a little more like himself and being loving and purring which was nice to hear!

I’ll have to reintroduce the kitten once he’s eating well, she’s doing great at my parents and I’m just driving back and forth spending time with both of them. If anyone has recommendations on how best to do that let me know!

Vito

Site Supporter
Good news, two big pee clumps in the litter box today so that second dose of fluids must have helped, and I’ve gotten him to eat 8 shrimp throughout the day!

I know he needs to eat more but something is better than nothing and our normal vet will be back open in the am.

He’s acting a little more like himself and being loving and purring which was nice to hear!

I’ll have to reintroduce the kitten once he’s eating well, she’s doing great at my parents and I’m just driving back and forth spending time with both of them. If anyone has recommendations on how best to do that let me know!
That's excellent news, so pleased. It must come as quite a relief for you. Hopefully Felix will continue to do well, sounds as though he desperately needed the fluids.
As Bridgett says, concentrate on getting the big guy on an even keel first before slow. And careful introductions.

LEM91

Savannah Adult
Yes definitely going to get him back to normal before bringing her back, thankfully my parents live in town and are able to keep her. I go there twice a day to drop off and pick up our son so I get to socialize with her still.

He’s not eating his regular food yet but eating shrimp and treats throughout the day. Behavior is getting more normal- back to his favorite activity of getting on the counter and knocking things off, I think he’s knows I’m not gonna yell at him today!

Thank you guys for responding, I was pretty worried about him this weekend and am very glad things are getting better.