Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Orion Goes Home

admin

Paige
Staff member
Just one simple question... These little balls of joy that we call Savannahs have the act of reaching in side of you and won't let go.... How do you let them go once you get so attached?

It is not easy, John, but you do what is best for the kitten...as Trish, I have multiple cats and while I love them all and give them as much attention as possible, my attention is divided...I want the best possible life for my kittens...while they are spoiled an loved here, they are much more spoiled and loved in their new homes...and to see the joy that is brought to new owners makes it all worthwhile!!!

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I have multiple owners on this board although most aren't overly active. You let them go with the knowledge that they're going to be loved to pieces and spoiled to bits. As a breeder, you've multiple cats usually and kittens to raise. So I think Rocco, the f2 Danny picked up from me, would get the same love and attention from me, with multiple cats, versus him? No. Rocco was loved and spoiled here, but my attention is divided due to numbers (and I have much lower numbers than most, although more than Paige).

Wouldn't it be inherently selfish for me to keep all of these fantastic little personalities to myself, knowing eventually we'd get to hoarder status, versus finding amazing homes that then become a part of my extended family?

I don't lie when I say Danny is now forever a part of my family. So is Teresa on here with monkey. So is Rob with Abu and my other owners.

I consider it a blessing to be a part of these babies lives as well as their families.

Sent from my so called smartphone so all typos and bad advice can be blamed on said "smart" phone ;)

That makes since... In view of me not wanting to let go... Keeping a low number is probably smart... I just can't let them go... I hate to be away from them when just going to work, and now that I am between employment, that it has really helped my bond with Elsa...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
View attachment 11881 View attachment 11881 View attachment 11876 View attachment 11877 View attachment 11878 View attachment 11879 View attachment 11880 Hahaha, here is a photo Update. I think I broke the cardinal rule of acclimating your cat and let Orion out with Rocco right away (they had met before at the vet) but it looks like it worked out :) here are a few photos, I'll post more maybe later today or tomorrow :)

I'm VERY glad it went so well! In so many other cases, this would spell disaster and I am sure Paige and Trish are frustrated that their words of caution about quarantine were not heeded.

Alls well that ends well and they do look to already be friends and will be highly bonded in no time :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Just one simple question... These little balls of joy that we call Savannahs have the act of reaching in side of you and won't let go.... How do you let them go once you get so attached?

It's one of the challenges of being a breeder. If you cannot let them go, you run the risk of being an animal hoarder though! And really, I love my cats too much to not be able to give them the appropriate care and individual attention they need. So that usually pushes me to allow the kittens to leave home...

Trish Allearz

I'm VERY glad it went so well! In so many other cases, this would spell disaster and I am sure Paige and Trish are frustrated that their words of caution about quarantine were not heeded.

Alls well that ends well and they do look to already be friends and will be highly bonded in no time :)
Since Rocco and Orion have met repeatedly at the vet's office, I think quarantine in this case is probably better for Danny to get the chance to bond with Orion versus for Rocco's sake.

This was definitely a different situation than normal with Danny, Rocco, Orion and Paige for sure.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND breaking quarantine btw-- the pros are far more than the cons. Bonding, health issues, letting the new kitten settle in, etc.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Since Rocco and Orion have met repeatedly at the vet's office, I think quarantine in this case is probably better for Danny to get the chance to bond with Orion versus for Rocco's sake.

This was definitely a different situation than normal with Danny, Rocco, Orion and Paige for sure.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND breaking quarantine btw-- the pros are far more than the cons. Bonding, health issues, letting the new kitten settle in, etc.

I agree with Trish...I would really like Danny to bond with Orion, which is why I wanted him quarantined...I was not worried about Rocco at all..and yes, this was not the typical situation and I also DO NOT recommend breaking quarantine...

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I have multiple owners on this board although most aren't overly active. You let them go with the knowledge that they're going to be loved to pieces and spoiled to bits. As a breeder, you've multiple cats usually and kittens to raise. So I think Rocco, the f2 Danny picked up from me, would get the same love and attention from me, with multiple cats, versus him? No. Rocco was loved and spoiled here, but my attention is divided due to numbers (and I have much lower numbers than most, although more than Paige).

Wouldn't it be inherently selfish for me to keep all of these fantastic little personalities to myself, knowing eventually we'd get to hoarder status, versus finding amazing homes that then become a part of my extended family?

I don't lie when I say Danny is now forever a part of my family. So is Teresa on here with monkey. So is Rob with Abu and my other owners.

I consider it a blessing to be a part of these babies lives as well as their families.

Sent from my so called smartphone so all typos and bad advice can be blamed on said "smart" phone ;)
And you are just dying to adopt me with the creation of a Jack II, right?!? :lol:
(The emoticon Trish would like to send in response: :-o )

Trish Allearz

And you are just dying to adopt me with the creation of a Jack II, right?!? :lol:
(The emoticon Trish would like to send in response: :-o )
It cracks me up because at this point, I have about a dozen orders for a Jack clone. Only thing is-- it doesn't work that way!!! ROFLMAO! :)