Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Pet Insurance

K

Kronos

Do you have a plan? Who is it through? Are you satisfied with the premium? Have you ever had to make a claim?

I have petplan for my dog. They offer $0 - $200 deductible plans, with 80% - 100% coverage. I am on the $200 deductible with 90% coverage and am happy with that. My premium for my dog is about $29 a month (dogs are more expensive than cats). I chose pet plan because the premium doesn't increase with age, and they cover hereditary conditions.

I have made two claims and they both got paid out, after several faxes because the vets kept faxing incorrectly!

Customer service is very friendly every time I call.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have Trupanion and am reimbursed 90% of actual veterinary costs, not based on a fee schedule for usual and customary costs like many other pet insurance plans. I have the 0 deductible, so pay a bit more than Alicia but not much.

Taj was very sick at one point and my vet bill was $6000...Trupanion paid 90% of that bill. In addition, Taj is on meds and has been for almost 2 years...Trupanion pays 90% of the cost for his meds.

Friendly, efficient customer service. I actually met the rep in my vets office one day and he is a great guy!!!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Trupanion pet insurance policies offer no limits per claim, per incident, or per year, and no lifetime payout limit. If you have an unlucky cat that has a lifetime of serious health issues, you will never see a cap on how much you will be reimbursed.

K

Kronos

The one thing I hate is the "per incident" part of the deductible! That is a good reason to have a $0 deductible... but then monthly rates skyrocket :(

I think I ended up going with pet plan because they had the best premium that I could find. The same plan with trupanion would cost me $45 a month! But then again, there is no limit to the funds... so that is a huge factor. I have to bet that on my plan I never go above needing more than $8k in a year.

D

Dantes

I don't have pet insurance. Insurance, in general, scares me. Especially those with no caps. It's just financially unsustainable. At some point the insurance company will either have to raise rates extremely high or go bankrupt. That said, if you're early in on the pyramid, you're in a good position to be fairly certain your expenses aren't denied.

On the other hand, I wish I had had insurance for my best buddy who had brain cancer. Although I don't know how much of those expenses would've been covered.

The other cats I've had didn't have enough vet expenses to warrant insurance.