Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Please Don't Buy a Savannah Cat if...

Ssparrow

Savannah Teenager
Savannanhs are a full time job. It's never boring. I tell my friends that living with my savannah is like , we are college roommates, I'm there to study and my cat just wants to party. ( ha ha)

Sharra13

Savannah Kitten
I think most of the list goes for ANY pet owner! People who can't be bothered to keep an animal for life should never own one to begin with. One of our older cats has an issue with peeing, and though it has been a real struggle (and seriously took years of trial and error before finding a solution!), we never contemplated "just getting rid of her." She is family for life.

We just entered the Savannah club and I was definitely expecting an energetic and playful kitten. What I did NOT expect was how cuddly he would be. I thought I had problems with lap and bed space before--this guy takes the cake. My legs have been cramping and falling asleep from all the naps he has been taking on me while I work, lol. I am going to have to get a bigger chair when he grows up...

Ishani Birch

Savannah Super Cat
A person I know got an F2, it developed a tumor on it's neck so they tried to give it to the SPCA because they didn't want to pay the vet bills. They asked me to take it because they knew I had Sterling. I at the time, definitely couldn't take on another cat. They ended up giving the cat back to the breeder they bought it from. Which meant shipping it from Vancouver to Montreal.. Thankfully the breeder took it back, got it the medical attention it needed, (the tumor was benign) and rehomed it, and from what I know, the cat is in a new home and well loved.

I will never understand abandoning an animal simply because it's no longer convenient.. But unfortunately some people seem to get Savannahs (and other animals) as some kind of thing to show off.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I think a lot of people get overwhelmed with the idea of spending a ton of money on vet visits, but then they should have gotten insurance. It is pretty much a given that an animal is going to need medical attention at some time in their life. I mean, we don't go all our lives without a dr visit right? It is important to prepare for that, but a lot of people just consider how much it is to purchase the cat. I know a lot of people don't even consider the cost of food!

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
A person I know got an F2, it developed a tumor on it's neck so they tried to give it to the SPCA because they didn't want to pay the vet bills. They asked me to take it because they knew I had Sterling. I at the time, definitely couldn't take on another cat. They ended up giving the cat back to the breeder they bought it from. Which meant shipping it from Vancouver to Montreal.. Thankfully the breeder took it back, got it the medical attention it needed, (the tumor was benign) and rehomed it, and from what I know, the cat is in a new home and well loved.

I will never understand abandoning an animal simply because it's no longer convenient.. But unfortunately some people seem to get Savannahs (and other animals) as some kind of thing to show off.

In my opinion, if they really loved the cat in the first place they would have taken care of it and not worried about the funding.... When Elsa had her problems early on, money was not an object.... Something else may have gotten push back, but not her health..... I can't imagine someone doing that to a cat.... Jake and Elsa is my Family, I cannot imagine putting money between me and them... If I go on Vacation and they can't go..... Then I don't go... Just my feelings... It really hurts when I hear of people doing this kind of thing and they they say... "Well it is only a cat" or "he is only a dog"... BS, they have feelings as well, and they show it more than most humans.

Ishani Birch

Savannah Super Cat
You have a point Kris
I think a lot of people get overwhelmed with the idea of spending a ton of money on vet visits, but then they should have gotten insurance. It is pretty much a given that an animal is going to need medical attention at some time in their life. I mean, we don't go all our lives without a dr visit right? It is important to prepare for that, but a lot of people just consider how much it is to purchase the cat. I know a lot of people don't even consider the cost of food!

Very true. I honestly didn't take it into account at first. Food + insurance + litter can add up. But like John said, the kitties come first.

dice

Site Supporter

hmmm, really??? Haven't found the vet bills any more spendy than any other animal I would own. Sure, high quality food can be a bit more expensive than say meow mix, But come on, I just laid down maybe $11k for some kids, and I'm not willing to spend one large to maybe 1/2k for vet bills???

K, this whole pet insurance thing is a bit confusing, are you saying pet insurance is cheaper than regular planed check ups and inoculations & alterations???? Find that hard to believe. Course now that I have 5 felines, it may bare some investigation.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Pet insurance does not cover the basics such as inoculations. It is for the major unexpected things. We have gone back and forth on whether or not to buy insurance. But, like John C said, when it comes to my babies' well being, finances don't play much into the equation. That was part of the torture of being at the emergency vet on Thursday.....they kept wanting to give us a detailed estimate for everything we discussed and my husband and I really only wanted to talk about what was best for her. Waiting for them to type up the estimate and return to our waiting room seemed to take forever!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Pet insurance is a lifesaver for many... I have had it since I got my first Savannah... I encourage all my kitten buyers to get it just in case and most of them have it.

Paige
Owner, Savannah Cat Chat
Agato Savannahs
TICA Legislative Committee
SV Breed Section Committee
SV Rescue Coordinator

dice

Site Supporter
hmm, there is that, so what are we talking about on cost per kitty???

Frak, my thinking is me credit rating will always cover cost's of any emergency pet bill. When one computes the likely cost of huge set backs, compared to total funds output, likelihood is that no insurance will prove out to be more economical in the long run.

My thinking is, providing a healthy and viable kitten, from a reputable breeder, with diligent child care & regular vet visits, that's the best insurance investment one can provide.