Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

possible allergy?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
We live in Wales UK. So its about 2degrees outside at the minute so yes the heating is on a fair bit.
We recently bought our first house and its a 3 story house with carpet throughout. Its all in good condition but the house was stood unused for around 12 months before we bought it.
He's always had a sneeze, but he did have runny eyes and nose at first which we thought was a cold. He did seem to get better with drops and mouth spray. (he was very down and not as energetic when he had the suspected cold)
We took him to the vets this week and they weren't sure so they gave him steroids and antibiotics.
he seems to have been sneezing and coughing less since having them.
But at £60 a time that could be pretty expensive treatment :(
he's as active as ever now. running around with his brother terrorizing the house :)

I would suspect dust from the heating system... as I said, an air filter might make the world of difference.

Hard to know what drops and mouth spray are in terms of the actual medications used. And what antibiotics he's taken this time. And hard to know if it is infection or allergy (or both) if he's had the combination of steroids and antibiotics and it seems to work. If it is allergies/asthma he may need to have an inhaler to help him when he's having issues breathing...it's going to be better for him than taking steroids all the time...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It is possible that your cat came to you with a viral infection, which is generally chronic. This can cause occasional coughing or sneezing, and if the secretions get bad a secondary bacterial infection can set in, which is why antibiotics can seem to work but then the symptoms return. I would recommend running an upper respiratory PCR on him which will test for several different bacterial and viral infections - it isn't cheap but at least it might give you better insight on how to effectively treat him.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I prefer HEPA air filters to electrostatic and ionizing air purifiers. Being an asthma sufferer those kind of air purifiers can actually trigger asthma attacks due to the ozone produced by them in the purification process.

We have a HEPA filter attached to our furnace that is great, but we also run two HEPA air filters in the house as we don't use the furnace too often here in CA. Internet research lead me to purchasing the Austin air filter unit, and then the more economical Whirlpool Whispure also as we have a two story house...

admin

Paige
Staff member
I was wondering about the ionizer...I also have an iq air hospital grade filtering portable system and hepa based furnace...I think I am going to shut off the ionizer

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I did some looking at these when we replaced our furnace system a couple years back with our house renovations. They were really pushing the ionizing purification system. The guy had NO idea how ionizing works to purify air and that they generate ozone. We just have the hospital grade HEPA filter on our furnace system instead.

I think the ionizing systems are great for households wanting to remove odors, especially if someone there is a smoker as it really pulls that kind of thing out of the air... but for anyone with sensitive lungs, it's not good.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I did some looking at these when we replaced our furnace system a couple years back with our house renovations. They were really pushing the ionizing purification system. The guy had NO idea how ionizing works to purify air and that they generate ozone. We just have the hospital grade HEPA filter on our furnace system instead.

I think the ionizing systems are great for households wanting to remove odors, especially if someone there is a smoker as it really pulls that kind of thing out of the air... but for anyone with sensitive lungs, it's not good.

I wish I had known that when I replaced the furnace a few years ago...but I do have the hepa filtering system on it as well as a really great hospital grade portable system by IQAir...