Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Problem Pee'r back at it

John Popp

Site Supporter
Thanks Paige! I'll give that a go and found it online. The collar name is NurtureCalm and I assume it's one in the same.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes, that is it John! Also, I know this is going to sound stupid, but an old time cat exhibitor told me about this and it works in the show hall to calm down the cats...dabbing vanilla extract on the nose...it takes a lot of the smells in the show hall away...

admin

Paige
Staff member
At The Vet's

Arriving with your cat to the vet, you want to keep your cat as calm as possible and try to minimize any traumatic effect. Here are a few tips -

- Before you get out of the car to go in the office, place a small dab of vanilla extract under the cat's nose. (Do this through the wire; don't take the cat out of the carrier to do this) Or, put the vanilla extract under her chin before placing her in the carrier.

or

Pure Vanilla Extract is used when cats return from the vet. Generally, they bring with them alien scents, and stress pheromones. Applying the vanilla extract to three areas of all the cats in the house stops the hissing and growling. The three areas are: under the chin, between the shoulders, and the base of the tail.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
If it moves, Chongo is sneak attacking it. Actually, I haven't seen any litter box attacks, and if Chongo notices him in a litter box, he'll just make sure the Big Bubbus covered his business to his satisfaction. The two of them generally get along pretty well although in 5 minute chunks. From there the big guy definitely lets Chongo know he's had enough.
You have me wondering if there is an evolving issue with this cat and Chongo.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Well, the Vanilla is definitely on Kebu and I'm not sure that Chongo could ever lay as much wood on him as Jester did. I really do think the two of them are OK, not that they don't spar a bit but there seems to be a line that Chongo doesn't cross. When Kebu thinks fun and games are over Chongo seems to back off.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well, the Vanilla is definitely on Kebu and I'm not sure that Chongo could ever lay as much wood on him as Jester did. I really do think the two of them are OK, not that they don't spar a bit but there seems to be a line that Chongo doesn't cross. When Kebu thinks fun and games are over Chongo seems to back off.

But the vanilla may keep him from smelling anything outside...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rascal! He has been checked out by the vet and appears to be in good health. The vet really wanted to stay away from medicating him and saw that as a last resort. When we made that attempt years ago it was of little help and finally when upping his meds we nearly lost him. Don't want to travel that route again and hoping that we can come to another solution.

Also, I don't believe this is a case of UTI as his elimination is very targeted. We have placed a litter box in front of the door to the basement, and upon moving it when going downstairs, upon return you'll be greeted with a healthy dose of cat wiz on the door. Definitely some sort of territorial thing, as he needs to hurdle the litter box to get to the location.

Anyway, just extremely frustrated as the problem has been in remission for a number of years and nothing that I have learned seems to be working this time through. Perhaps it's just the smells of spring with the windows open more often, and along with it the smells of some neighboring pets.
I'm not sure what medications you've used in the past but antidepressants have been known to help alleviate inappropriate peeing, and in my book a better option than turning him outside. I assume that he is neutered? Any chance there is a stray male or female wandering around outside getting him all worked up?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I totally feel your pain.

When my 15 year old senior cat started problem peeing, it turned out that she had kidney problems (diagnosed days before death) that several vets missed :( I was so mad at her the last year of her life, and after she passed I was so mad at myself. She destroyed my hardwood floor in multiple, big black spots, but I'd gladly give up the floor to not have hated her that last year.

Dante, who isn't 3 yet, is back to peeing on my pillow after several months of remission. He's been to 4 different vets and had every test under the earth and nothing. I try hard not to get mad at him but it's really hard, especially when it seems so spiteful. I mean, right ON my feather pillow!

If only I could speak cat.
I think your problem is right in front of you - cats consider feather pillows akin to a litter box. I am not kidding, they can't seem to resist a down blanket or pillow.