Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

question about taking my cat outdoors

melissam87

Savannah Super Cat
So spring is around the corner and I've been contemplating whether or not to take my cat outside, on a leash of course. Part of me thinks that it would be nice for her to get out and get some fresh air and experience something she has never done. The other part says I could be creating a monster and before you know it she'll want to go out all of the time. Not to mention putting her at risk of ticks, etc. Living in Massachusetts there are only certain times of the year that I would be interested in taking her out anyway. I guess I'm concerned that what starts out as a treat will become a battle of wills. LOL :rolleyes:

Any thoughts?

KMcgown

Site Supporter
We take 3 of our cats out on a leash. 2 are great. They get excited when you put the vest on, etc. The third one is obsessed with going outside once she starts going out. She literally barks at the door to go out! This continues on unitl say Oct/Nov when it gets too cool. We also live in Mass!

admin

Paige
Staff member
taj has been walking outside since he was a kitten and we are in NJ, so spring/summer/fall he goes out...and yes, he does cry by the door, which is what he is doing today...and yes, I will take him out later when it is much warmer...he also knows where his leash and harness are kept and brings them to me ;)

Once it is cold, he does not want to go out...it is an individual thing, I guess, but I say, go for it!

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
I am so glad this question was posed because we aren't sure if we should take our kitty out or not. Do you guys find that your cats try to escape at all? I'm just concerned that once Jengo gets outside he might try to jet out everytime we leave. He's also really shy and skittish so I am not sure if being outside would totally freak him out or not.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I think it depends Charley...Taj used to try to escape and does not do that anymore but...he howls endlessly until I walk him when it is a nice warm day like today...I felt terrible because Zuri was crying at the window when she saw us outside :( But she will go out later...

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
Do you guys have screen doors? We don't have ANY screens and he's fast...we're debating on what to do.

KMcgown

Site Supporter
I have a door in the kitchen that leads to a set of stairs and then outsids...so if the cats get by me, they cannot get out and i can grab them and bring them back in. this used to be Sophies favorite game!

KMcgown

Site Supporter
It was in the 70's here in mass today, so I broke down!

484945_339306532773909_204433359594561_800280_231437455_n.jpg