Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Question re blood test results

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
My 11 year old Russian Blue has lost a lot of weight. She is down to just over 6pounds. I took her to vet Thursday. Vet has ruled out diabetes, CRF, hepatic , thyroid. Vet could not palpitate any abnormality in the abdomen, lymph nodes were normal size. The superchem test showed high calcium 13.3 ( normal is 8.2-10.8), WBC was high 17.3 ( normal 3.5-16.0). Platelet count was low 153 (normal 200-500). Platelet count reflects the minimum number due to platelet clumping. The Neutrophils were high 12,629 ( normal 2,500-8,500). The Eosinophils were high 1211 (normal 0-1000). She is still eating, drinking, seems ok except for the weight loss. Vet is suggesting an ultrasound versus X-ray. I said I would get back to them as to what I wanted to do next. She was a shelter kitty. She is an indoor and screened in patio cat only. I have noticed that one of the cats does throw up a clear foamy bile and some undigested food, but I don't know which cat and it has only been a few times during the last 2 weeks. Any help or suggestions as to what my next step should be are greatly appreciated. Thanks. Sue

admin

Paige
Staff member
Get the ultrasound...Cisco was vomiting clear, brothy fluid as well...many lymph nodes are not palpable....how much weight has she lost? Is she eating? Could be a myriad of things, so best to ultrasound...I'm sorry your baby is so sick :(

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
She has lost 4 pounds in the last year. She is still eating, begging for treats, she and Tink were chasing and batting at each other yesterday. Sue

Trish Allearz

I couldn't say, Sue- I think in my experience, both xrays and ultrasounds have pros and cons and often, we have done both :S

admin

Paige
Staff member
She has lost 4 pounds in the last year. She is still eating, begging for treats, she and Tink were chasing and batting at each other yesterday. Sue

But that is a lot of weight to lose...something is wrong...I have found that usually X-Rays show nothing in something like this, but it doesn't hurt to get both.

Trish Allearz

But that is a lot of weight to lose...something is wrong...I have found that usually X-Rays show nothing in something like this, but it doesn't hurt to get both.
Yeah, in a cat- definitely. And she's not even a senior-senior- like 16-18 (when they tend to get real skinny).

Odd question- but how are her teeth? Could it be something as simple as needing a dental?

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
I think her teeth are ok, vet did not say anything and she crunches the hard treats every night.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
She has lost almost 50% of her weight in a year, that is really concerning. It sounds like she might have a chronic subacute infection of some sort. What kind of ultrasound does the vet want to get?