Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Questions for Marilyn, the Cat Coach, on Savannah Cat Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cat Coach

Marilyn and Maulee Krieger
Marilyn, I will remind everyone that tomorrow is your last day...thanks you again - your interaction with the forum has been invaluable!!! Will put links to your website and book for people to either schedule appts and/or buy your book.
Thank you! It's been a pleasure to answer questions.

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the advice, He is due for his one year check up so i will look into more about what has caused his deafness with the vet. We didn't realize he was deaf until a little while after we had him, we always noticed he was a little off and it took us awhile to figure it out. His breeder didn't want to sell any from his litter since they had been all very sick as kittens. Im thinking that that is what caused him being deaf. The vet never actually noticed him being deaf either when we had him checked a few days after being home. Im thinking maybe its time to find another vet. ( we have had other issues that have always come down to lack of concern through our vet)

Im also think you could be right about other cognitive issues. At this point we will maybe find another vet and have them look into his issue while he gets his year check up.

As for vibrations though, he doesn't respond to them either unless its obnoxious. When we realized he was deaf we read up on certain training tips and advice for working with him and we gave that a try, i never thought of using a light though so thats good advice! ill try that with him!

as for his eye sight he seems to be just fine, although he looks at you sometimes so wide eyed it makes you wonder. He has no problem following things like his toys or bugs or even fruit flies. He also doesnt exhibit any other visions issues. Thats another thing that i will make sure the vet checks as well.

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Marylin,
Thank you for giving us your time to ask questions! My F2 just turned one year old. We have a genuine love affair going between us!!! However, very often when I pet her she is so happy I think she doesn't know what to do and she nips and bites me. I know for sure she is not being mean, it is really an affectionite type of thing as she is purring and wants more of me. If I gently push her head aside as to not bite, she still wants more and bumps up against my hand. When I begin again petting her, she again begins bitting my hand. The bites are not hard, but they are bites. I have dubbed them her 'love bites'. Should I be stopping this? I kind of wish she would just let me pet her, but I attribute it to her being an F2???? She does it ALOT.

The Cat Coach

Hi Marylin,
Thank you for giving us your time to ask questions! My F2 just turned one year old. We have a genuine love affair going between us!!! However, very often when I pet her she is so happy I think she doesn't know what to do and she nips and bites me. I know for sure she is not being mean, it is really an affectionite type of thing as she is purring and wants more of me. If I gently push her head aside as to not bite, she still wants more and bumps up against my hand. When I begin again petting her, she again begins bitting my hand. The bites are not hard, but they are bites. I have dubbed them her 'love bites'. Should I be stopping this? I kind of wish she would just let me pet her, but I attribute it to her being an F2???? She does it ALOT.
This behavior is not limited to hybrids or EGs... is seen in moggies as well as all breeds of cat. Anyway, the way to address it is to stop all interaction with her and give her a time out. Let me explain... you are her favorite person, she loves and wants to be with you and interact with her. When she starts to bite stop everything, turn around and leave the room. Do not talk to her... nothing. She will soon figure out that her action of biting you results in her fave person disappearing. BTW, time outs for this are very short... 15-30 seconds. It may take a few of these, but she'll get it...

The Cat Coach

Thanks for the advice, He is due for his one year check up so i will look into more about what has caused his deafness with the vet. We didn't realize he was deaf until a little while after we had him, we always noticed he was a little off and it took us awhile to figure it out. His breeder didn't want to sell any from his litter since they had been all very sick as kittens. Im thinking that that is what caused him being deaf. The vet never actually noticed him being deaf either when we had him checked a few days after being home. Im thinking maybe its time to find another vet. ( we have had other issues that have always come down to lack of concern through our vet)

Im also think you could be right about other cognitive issues. At this point we will maybe find another vet and have them look into his issue while he gets his year check up.

As for vibrations though, he doesn't respond to them either unless its obnoxious. When we realized he was deaf we read up on certain training tips and advice for working with him and we gave that a try, i never thought of using a light though so thats good advice! ill try that with him!

as for his eye sight he seems to be just fine, although he looks at you sometimes so wide eyed it makes you wonder. He has no problem following things like his toys or bugs or even fruit flies. He also doesnt exhibit any other visions issues. Thats another thing that i will make sure the vet checks as well.
The trick is to pair the secondary reinforcer (light, or vibration) with something the cat loves. The secondary reinforcer has to always do the same thing whenever it's activated. BTW, the light is flashed on the floor in front of the cat, but again... it must be paired with something the cat adores.

Status
Not open for further replies.