Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Rafiki

Rafiki

Site Supporter
We brought the cats in for their annual physical about 6 weeks ago. At that time, we had blood work done to check for liver values. Jammu's bloodwork was normal but Rafiki had slightly elevated liver values. ALT was 164 (normal is 158) and AST was 73 (normal is 67). We opted to simply monitor. She also had build up in her ears again. Cytology revealed nothing so we agreed to bring her in weekly for cleaning and to add meds. At the same time, she had scratched around her mouth and we were giving an antiseptic spray to use.

This has been the routine for the last 6 weeks.....schedule at a completely different day and time each week, try to catch her unaware, shove her into the carrier, quick visit with either the vet or a tech to clean and medicate her ears. Last Friday was the final visit. She had just started scratching her mouth again 2 days prior so the vet gave her the antibiotic shot of Covenia. I informed the vet that my bringing her back any time in the near future was not an option as SHE KNOWS......SHE ALWAYS KNOWS!

As a result, we did follow up bloodwork instead of waiting for 2 months. Her liver enzymes are climbing. ALT is now 248 and AST is 156. The vet wants to continue to just monitor for another 2 months. The combo of Covenia + prednisone is what has dropped her liver values in the past but prednisone can sometimes make her sick. Since she had a shot of Covenia, I am OK with not resuming the Denamarin at this time. I also have Liquid Hepato that was prescribed last year for Jammu. It tastes like cooked chicken so he wouldn't touch it. I spoke to the vet about using it and he gave me the green light. So far I have only added a couple of drops to her food but she does not seem opposed to the flavor.

And my baby girl now weighs in at 16 lbs even.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Ugh, it never seems to end for Rafiki. Fingers crossed that the LFTs stabilize and she remains asymptomatic!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
And here we go again...... :( Rafiki has been acting odd for a few days now.

On Saturday, we went out to dinner and were gone for about 5 hours. When we got home, she was very twitchy and had scratched her left ear resulting in a small raw spot. Previous ear infections were in her right ear but both ears were treated. The ear itself was clean. I applied a topical to it and rubbed her little butt until she calmed down.

She was constipated for a few days (gave her probiotics and some psyllium powder for 3 days) but this resolved itself yesterday. She was given antibiotics 2 weeks or so ago so that could have affected her digestion.

She is very twitchy and bolts out of the room for no reason. She seems convinced that she is about to be dragged off to the vet and runs under the bed every time I put shoes on. Her appetite is OK but she generally runs off halfway thru and I have to wait until she calms down to bring it to her to finish. And yes, I sometimes find myself sitting next to her, rubbing her butt, until she finishes her food.

I have to go to Florida for 12 days and I leave on Monday. I hate to even think about what my hubby is in for with me gone. With her liver issues, many calming drugs are a no-go. I have not had the chance to try the Nutricalm as I have been having so many issues feeding her and catching her. I never like going to Florida and I am really dreading this trip.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm so sorry you are having more issues with Rafiki, I hope by Monday she will have settled down again!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I am now halfway thru my stay in Florida. The good is that she is eating well. I have to be very thankful for that because I am not sure that the hubby could deal with feeding her mini meals 4 times a day off the fingers as I have had to do in the past.

The bad is that she is very twitchy and unapproachable. She sleeps on my side of the bed on the Tshirt I wore before leaving. If he tries to pet her, she often bolts. When he gets up, she does her normal morning ritual with him of being worshipped and adored before he is allowed to take a shower but then he says that she starts twitching, gets a crazed look in her eyes and bolts down the hallway and under the bed in the spare bedroom.

He is able to call her to the kitchen for treats but if he tries to approach her she runs away. He has given up trying to feed her in her crate and has been feeding her under the bed.

It looks like I will have my hands full when I return. In many ways having a bonded kitty is great. But, when you must be away it totally sucks! I believe the most of her issues stem from the 6 months of biweekly vet visits from when she was sick. She seems constantly terrified that we will snatch her, stuff her in her carrier and bring her to the vet. As much as I like my current vet, we may need to seek out another home vet.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Hubby told me last night that Rafik is still sleeping in my spot but now bolts when he gets up. She has not done the morning shower routine in 2 days. He is crushed that she is acting afraid of him. I don't know if there is anything physical that is causing this. I have to take comfort in knowing that she is eating well. I return on Saturday and it cannot come soon enough for me.

admin

Paige
Staff member
It could just be a change in her routine, meaning you are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk