Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Raw Ground Pork?

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Does anyone feed it to their cats? I do raw on my dogs and feed ground pork ,just don't know about cats.
Thanks,
Angie

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
It' actually very high in taurine and very good for them. Most love it too! Like chicken or any raw meat though you need to be very careful about handling, and ensure you are worming regularly.

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
I can only speak from a human perspective, but raw pork is one of the worse risks as far as food borne illness is concerned. Trichinosis is really bad news.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
I'm not sure that trichinosis is really much of a problem anymore. From what I have heard and read, it has mostly been eradicated. I feed my cats raw pork every once in a while with no side effects. I don't feed them ground pork though. I buy chops or some other cut and cut it into chunks.

John Popp

Site Supporter
I don't believe the issues with pork are that abundant anymore either. That's why the USDA dropped the recommended minimum cooked temperature to 145 degrees a few years back. I certainly wouldn't feed pork that was ground outside my home, and actually I tend to stay away from any meats that couldn't conceivably be the prey of our cats. On the positive side pork is very high in b vitamins although very high in phosphorous. So I would definitely stay away from feeding it to cats over 10 years of age.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
What I buy is from the grocery store and I freeze it or it was previously frozen. Since most of my meat is ground duck, chicken, turkey, I find with my dogs I am giving them too much bone and needed a cheap ground meat source, I can get the pork bulk for $1/lb. mix it with the bird and it has a bit more meat. I wanted to just have one mass mixture and then separate a bit to add the taurine for the cats. I was hoping that the pork was ok.

To kill Trichinosis:
http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_Trichinosis.htm
* Trichinella is killed when pork is frozen at minus 5 degrees F for 25 days OR
to minus 22 degrees F for 25 hours.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/gen_info/faqs.html

As for Trichinosis, it is virtually gone, but not
entirely. Half the cases came from wildlife meat. Others, I'd hazard, are from
a backyard operation.