Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Request for Exact Recipe

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
Leo has basically been tearing through the food I have made him. He has already eaten through what I thought was an entire week of supply. I am happy he loves the raw formula I made, but should I be concerned about over feeding? If I am correct, you can't really over feed a kitten.

SlugMaster

Site Supporter
Leo has basically been tearing through the food I have made him. He has already eaten through what I thought was an entire week of supply. I am happy he loves the raw formula I made, but should I be concerned about over feeding? If I am correct, you can't really over feed a kitten.
Matt,

I would not worry about overfeeding Leo as a kitten. If he eats too much he will hurf it back up. I am amazed how much these guys can eat when they go into a growth spurt. My four month old Max has been growing at a rate of a 1/2 lb per week for the last month. Only slowing down this last week on his intake. I also try to make sure he gets time away from the other cats. To let him sleep and to give the other cats a rest from his constant playing.

Enjoy,
Bruce

John Popp

Site Supporter
Mine always turns out really sloppy and wet. But hey figure more water the better. lol
If you are adding the water as most recipes suggest I wouldn't do it. Not that I don't add water, but I do so when serving their raw, that way I can use warm water to get their food to a temperature more to their liking, and also don't need to deal with as much of a mess in the storage bags. I also believe it keeps the meat a little firmer and in the end have far more added water.

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
If you are adding the water as most recipes suggest I wouldn't do it. Not that I don't add water, but I do so when serving their raw, that way I can use warm water to get their food to a temperature more to their liking, and also don't need to deal with as much of a mess in the storage bags. I also believe it keeps the meat a little firmer and in the end have far more added water.
The recipe I modified uses 12 oz of water for the 5 pounds of food, and I am really happy with how the consistency turned out. It cleans up very well, and doesn't leave a mess in the bag. Leaving out the water and adding it in later will probably keep the microbial level down. That's pretty smart, I might have to try that.

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
Matt,

I would not worry about overfeeding Leo as a kitten. If he eats too much he will hurf it back up. I am amazed how much these guys can eat when they go into a growth spurt. My four month old Max has been growing at a rate of a 1/2 lb per week for the last month. Only slowing down this last week on his intake. I also try to make sure he gets time away from the other cats. To let him sleep and to give the other cats a rest from his constant playing.

Enjoy,
Bruce
Thanks Bruce!

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
I know the livers need to come from a good source, but do the meats in the raw food diet have to be organic? The price is pretty significant.

Ezequiel

Savannah Adult
It's a chicken and turkey combo. My cat's favorite things to eat are turkey, beef, duck, and chicken hearts. He dislikes liver.

Turkey Breast (2.0 lb)
Whole Chicken Thighs (2.5 lb)
Chicken Hearts 14 oz
Chicken Livers 7 oz
Cooked Salmon ( 1/2 lb)
Cooked Egg Whites (4)
4 Raw Egg Yolks
Mazuri Slab Meat Supplement (31.85 grams)
1 1/2 TSP Iodized Salt
Some small tenderloin chunks.
2 TSP Psyllium Husk Powder
12oz Purified Water
6 Strips of Nitrate Free Bacon Fat Grease. I read you could use the grease to add flavor. Also the turkey breasts will be low in fat so this is a way to make up for it. Oh...and I ate the bacon after draining it...hehe

So basically I learned that calcium for kittens in the growth stage is recommended around 1.5 to 1.8 percent of dry weight food intake. Mazuri slab supplement contains about 1.3 - 1.4 by my own calculations. I called them and they told me it varies, but I was in the right ball park. Their dry kibble contains 1.4% dw. Mazuri recommends 9.1 grams of supplement per 1 pound of slab meat. By using a combination of turkey slab meat and chicken thighs I should be pretty safe around that percentage area while still getting some benefit that bones have to offer. The recommended psyllium husk powder is actually 4 tsp for this recipe, but he doesn't actually have a problem yet so I figured half of that would give him a place to start. There are a lot of resources that recommend psyllium husk powder. The negative implications is that it makes stool size a little larger. All of this was purchased from whole foods market.

We will see how it works.

Hi all,
I will be giving MattM’s chicken and turkey combo raw recipe a try shortly, and was wondering whether the calcium requirements are strictly provided by either the Mazuri supplement or by the whole chicken thighs? In other words, are the turkey and chicken thighs deboned?
Thank you,
Ezequiel

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hi all,
I will be giving MattM’s chicken and turkey combo raw recipe a try shortly, and was wondering whether the calcium requirements are strictly provided by either the Mazuri supplement or by the whole chicken thighs? In other words, are the turkey and chicken thighs deboned?
Thank you,
Ezequiel
The chicken thighs are not deboned...

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
Hi all,
Thank you,
Ezequiel
I should probably explain myself a little more about why I chose to do the supplements the way I did. I got the STX megaforce 3000, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's probably the most you can get for your money without spending more than 200$ (thank you Paige). In my opinion and from my experience, bones are not the easiest things to work with, however they offer a large benefit to your cat as a *digestible* source of calcium, minerals, and aid in cleaning teeth. For this reason I decided to go half meat with bones in it such as chicken thighs or drumsticks, and half with breast meat without bones. I also did this because I initially ordered the supplement for slab meat (with calcium), and Mazuri wouldn't let me exchange it. I have since ordered the whole prey supplement as well.

From their website: Mazuri recommends 9.1 grams of supplement per 1 pound of slab meat. I typically go a little bit over this (9.5 - 10 grams) since a lot of what I have read has supplements and really cat food sources in general underestimate calcium requirements of kittens and cats. This was evident to me when reading through dry weight (DW) values of whole prey organisms (thank you John Popp). If I remember correctly, a ground mouse or rabbit can contain up to 2.0 - 2.5 dw% of calcium. That went my concern about overdosing my cat with too much calcium. Normal cat food is around 0.8%, but the mazuri slab supplement has about 1.4%. Keep in mind DW% vary depending on how much you supplement, and how much slab meat you use. It's a ratio percentage not a set amount.

So basically what I do now is supplement about 9.5-10 grams (with calcium) per pound of slab meat and 9.1 grams (without calcium) per pound of meat with bones I use in the 5 pound mix to be frozen. A typical cat will eat about 6 oz of food. I freeze around 21 oz in 1 bag to last about half the week at a time (3.5 days). When I am getting low I take another bag out of the freezer to thaw out.

Honestly, you probably do not need to add supplement (without calcium) to the meat with bones in it because it's already covered by the chicken hearts, livers, salmon, and of course bones. Also, a lot of people chose to not freeze the supplement because of nutrient loss. I find it very inconvenient to sprinkle the correct amount of supplement into each bag after I unfreeze it. It also might not be distributed throughout the food as well when you sprinkle over the top. I figure I am already giving excess nutrients to my cat that is probably just peeing them out (with exception to fat soluble A D E K), so nutrient loss from freezing won't be a a big factor especially since I'm doing batches every month to two months. Your cats stools will be a good indicator of how your batch went.

Lastly, I wanted to compare the cost of the raw food vs what I was initially feeding my cat which was blue wilderness wet food. If I ordered a large package of blue wilderness wet food online (which is a big discount vs local store front) the price per pound was about 6$. The recipe I used is about $6.20-6.30 from a whole foods 100% organic source. The marginal price difference justified everything I have been doing, and now my fiancee doesn't think I am insane.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the only source of organic things you actually need are the livers and maybe eggs. If you didn't go organic for the meats it would significantly decrease the price.

Hope this helps.