Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Ringworm?

M

MK Anderson

It was the worst thing I've ever gone through(really depressed me)and it really should not of gotten so bad(horrible vet advise)! But I did learn a lot about it and how to keep it out!!!! My husband is a Painter he got it for me was the best thing ever. I also bought a Vacuum just for there area and disposed of it after.

admin

Paige
Staff member
So for everyone else's sake, what kind of advice did the vet give you that was so terrible?

M

MK Anderson

too do nothing! she'll fight it off! UGGGGGGGGGGGGG I should of known better, I felt so guilty when they all got it and it got so bad. Then I took them all back and she gave me something(dip stuff) and I told her they need their revolution for the month. So I asked her well is it okay to put that on them after I do that, oh yay sure, NOT!!! there skin broke wide open!! I mean bleeding OMG I hate to even think or talk about it..... Pergies looked like DEATH Blood stained his fur for a year!!! Keeba was the only one that did not get it that bad and recovered fairly quickly. I felt like a bad mom!!! The new vet was in shock when she seen them I was in tears. But I followed all her advise to a T!!! and in a few weeks it was better. I wanted to take picture but I'm glad I didnt I hating seeing them(mostly Pergie) like that.

M

MK Anderson

Oh she also said I only needed to do the dip once on them and they'll be fine! not to quarantine them either!!!

D

DocMac

Well, the only place I've been since Thursday is Columbus. And the cat who has it on her nose slept curled in my arms last night. Hers doesn't quite look like mine, but I'm not even sure if it is ringworm. Since it's Labor Day, nothing is open, so we'll wait til tomorrow to vet and MD for us both. How long is the "incubation" period from exposure to visibility? At least I didn't hold anyone's Savannah in Columbus! But I did hold a Persian and a Sphynx. I use Tea Tree oil on my dreadlocks, do I have it already. Thanks, all.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Yes, I used the Sani-Guard bombs as well just to make sure... even when you think it's gone the little sneak will sooo often rear it's ugly head again, be it a week or months later... :-(

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think the incubation period varies depending on the type of ringworm, from a few days to a couple of weeks... but again, the spores can live for up to 18 months just waiting for its next victim to come along. It will look different on cats than on humans - in my experience usually on cats it looks like a gray patch without any hair, usually on people it looks like a pink or red scaly or raised patch, and often but not always is shaped like a ring.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
That's terrible MK! A lot of vets don't really take it seriously because it is 'just' a skin infection, but it is horribly contagious and can be a nightmare to get rid of. I know one breeder who scrubbed from floor to ceiling over and over, even used the bombs and 'misted' the house with Health Guard via a humidifier, but still, every litter for almost two years came down with it without fail... she finally beat it, but what a horrible thing to have to go through!!

Trish Allearz

Well, let's be honest too- if you have kids, it can be walked into the house. If you have dogs, it can be walked into the house. If you live your life- it can be walked into the house.

DON'T freak out. DO QUARANTINE and treat, treat, treat. I think not quarantining gives you a higher incidence of seeing it occur again IMHO.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
I don't think Ring Worm is itchy. If you have access to a black light, shine it on the spot in dark place, if it glows green, then it is likely. RW- don't panic until you know what it is!