Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Ringworm?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
My vet has told me that RW doesn't always glow- she also said that sometimes, it won't culture right. It is a nasty pain in the butt little bugger! BUT it isn't life threatening- just a danger to one's sanity!
Yup, my vet told me the exact same thing :(

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I did the same, Kelly, I was determined to make sure it was completely gone. Black light only detects certain species of the fungus, so if it glows it is a positive, but if it doesn't that doesn't mean it is a negative for ringworm.

When I experienced it here I used oral anti-fungals, Malaseb baths and Malaseb sprays on the lesions as well. I used Healthguard to wash everything and then swiffer cloths for all the surfaces and vacuumed all the time too. It's worth the labor to make sure you get every spore and make sure it has gone!

When vets say it will go on its own it is somewhat correct...it IS a self-limiting infection. But the spores can hang around and infect other animals and people etc...so it will keep cropping up again and again...plus spread to the other critters and humans. So much better off treating the first one and try to make sure nobody else gets it! Good luck!

D

DocMac

Also, the swifer clothes help pick up spores too. I use a steam cleaner all the time on my hard woods love it!
I use the steamer constantly anyway. Neither of us glowed last night,and my itching has stopped since the tea tree oil. I'll update after the medical evals.

D

DocMac

LOL! you NOT kidding about being a danger to one's Sanity!! But correct its not life threatening and that's what I kept saying to get me through it!! Pergie was the only one that glowed on the light, Keeba and Chloe did not, but came back positive in culture test.
my sanity is a little shaky anyway. LOL

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
Oh no - it's not itchy on the cats, but it is on humans.

Yep, I inherited a case from a cat we acquired. Ran through most of the cattery and I got it too. It was horrible. Took months to get rid of it using the health guard on me and the cats and diluted bleach cleaning in the kennels. Such a PITA.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Kristine had a small bite on her leg last Sunday that we decided was a flea bite but maybe it was a bedbug after all... we just all decided we preferred to think it a flea! yikes!