Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Safety Concerns Cus Our Cats Are $$$

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I usually reply that some Savannahs can be very pricey but in general they cost much the same as any other well-bred pedigreed cat. When people ask about the $30K upwards pricetags I usually laugh, and say that maybe there are those foolish enough to pay that kind of money...but that the price of a Savannah has been exaggerated in media.

As everyone else has said, I don't tend to discuss specifics of how much my cats cost, usually just say "they weren't cheap" and leave it at that.

D

Dantes

i guess one thing i forgot to mention was specifically, do you worry about saying how much your cat cost when meeting strangers on the street because of fear that someone might then try to steal your cat?

I usually say something along the lines of "about how much you'd pay for a purebred dog." That leaves it to their imagination, cause some dogs are more expensive than others. Most people just assume Duma was expensive, though, and this kinda gets their minds off that ridiculous notion.

Then again, I still haven't even told my parents, they think it's ridiculous to pay money for a cat (even though they always buy purebred dogs). Heck, even the SPCA here charges a $200 adoption fee, not sure where they'd think ya can get a free cat of any sort.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It is interesting how people are so much more prepared to pay good money for a pedigreed dog but balk at the same for a cat!

My parents were fine about what we spent on our Savannahs, we raised horses when I was younger and they thought it equivalent pricing but you get to have them in the house with you instead of out in the stables :)

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I tend to not answer the question.
When people ask how much our kitties were, if they are someone who is interested in getting a SV, then I will give them the prices for Mickey and D. Then I explain that we spent more than $2,000 on our foster kitten (she was a sick baby) in less than 6 months if they remark that that they were expensive.
I don't tend to disclose to anyone how much we paid for Jarvis, our F3 boy. He is a nice looking F3 from a breeder I trust, he and Michael love each other very much, and I don't care what they think about how much he cost, so I don't answer. My cat, my money, my business.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
yes, a "good" vet bill and you've bought yourself a nice Savannah with the equivalent amount :-(

Our beagle has cost us more than a breeding F1 female in vet bills... possibly two by now...

M

MK Anderson

I wouldn't tell people for a long time! I would tell them it's on a need to know bases and you don't need to know.....Now I just don't care, what I pay for anything is up to me and if other want to judge, I just don't care anymore. I will tell people that are interest in getting a Savannah, but I have to be honest I didn't pay a lot for Keeba...

Dandylions

Savannah Super Cat
My answer is "enough" ..... If pushed by friends ... "about the same as a pedigree dog" ....
Tbh I never think about their monetary value they are just my fur babies :)

feedtheflame

Savannah Super Cat
i actually dont understand the sensitiveness im seeing here on the cost of your cat. I dont see it any different than discussing how much u paid to customize your car, or that guitar hanging on your wall, or the jordans you bought two months ago....

D

Dantes

Most people say something along the lines of "Wow, that's an EXPENSIVE cat! You must have $$$$" I have a problem with that sort of judgmental attitude, suddenly I'm rich because I have a nice cat? So yeah, it's an issue, even though I agree with you, if that person drives a Mercedes and I drive a Honda, who are they to judge....