Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah bit me giving her Metronidazole dose...uuggg

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
So I have 3 cats. Savannah is the Savannah. My Bengal tested positive for Giardia. Had to bring all cats so she could prescribe meds. Pretty sure Cooper the Bengal is the only one that has it as he is the only one showing signs. Got it from a dog we had months ago pretty sure as he was positive. So the other cats I could get the pill down but Savannah just bit me pretty good. Bleeding. Ok but it hurt. This is the first day. 6 more days. Ugggg.. Any suggestions. She is super picky about any cat treats. She is super smart. lol Don't think she meant to bite me just didn't like me trying to get the pill down. I hear it is bitter. This sucks. Thanks all!!!!!
Sorry about Giardia, it can be a pain to get rid of. The strains of Giardia that cats and dogs carry are different, so they can't cross contaminate. The cat probably came with it or got it from another cat. I've had kittens come to me with no symptoms and still test positive for Giardia. I would recommend buying the safeguard and dosing at 1cc/5lb for 5 days. 10 days later you can dose again for 5 days and then retest using a pcr test. You should wait another 2 weeks to restest as if you do it too soon after the Giardia might be too low for detection. During treatment the animals should also be bathed or at least back ends cleaned as the Protozoa can attach to their fur and cause reinfestation. Unfortunately Giardia can live in litter boxes etc. I would even consider locking everyone up separately during txt to reduce the incidence of re infecting each other.

Savannah

Savannah Super Cat
Sorry about Giardia, it can be a pain to get rid of. The strains of Giardia that cats and dogs carry are different, so they can't cross contaminate. The cat probably came with it or got it from another cat. I've had kittens come to me with no symptoms and still test positive for Giardia. I would recommend buying the safeguard and dosing at 1cc/5lb for 5 days. 10 days later you can dose again for 5 days and then retest using a pcr test. You should wait another 2 weeks to restest as if you do it too soon after the Giardia might be too low for detection. During treatment the animals should also be bathed or at least back ends cleaned as the Protozoa can attach to their fur and cause reinfestation. Unfortunately Giardia can live in litter boxes etc. I would even consider locking everyone up separately during txt to reduce the incidence of re infecting each other.
Thanks. I don't think you are correct on the dog to cat strain. Humans can also get from animals. My cats are all indoors. Appreciate your help. I will for sure be keeping the liter boxes clean and bedding ect... Can't separate them though. If I can't get a negative after 2 weeks after meds I may see about boarding at the vet or something.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
www.capcvet.org/
Check out this site for up to date info. on parasites, it's really good. I work with a Dr. at a University that studies Giardia. There is only anecdotal evidence of cross contamination with dogs and people, the strains of Giardia are different enough.