Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

savannah cat adult size??

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
I would be very surprised to see any stud cat weigh over 20 lbs. Most don't eat real well and tend to be smaller and thin- an intact male thing. Some are very muscular from the testosterone tho' and are heavier than they look. Testosterone closes the growth plate early so a stud cat will be smaller than his neutered brother on average. Size genetics are all over the place with Savannahs. Some can be large from small parents and some small from large parents! Males are usually twice the size of females. The best judge of size is repeat breedings- comparing siblings from previous litters. Outside of that, there is no guarantee. A large kitten can be average and a small kitten can just keep growing! My Fiji F3 boys are all a good size but I won't ever give anyone a specific weight even if I am pretty confident about their size. F1s are generally large, or look large but be only 13 to 15 lbs. My Siberian is the biggest cat I have by weigh in my household, but he is not the biggest cat.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Hello I was wondering if there was some kind of chart or formula to predicting the adult size of savannah cats. I currently Have one f4 silver male that is around 10.5 weeks old and weighs about 4.25 lbs. His dad is an f5 i believe and he weighs around 33 lbs and his mom is a f3 that weights around 18 lbs. I was just wondering How big he can get?? 4.25 lbs seems a little big for a 10 week old kitten But I don't know.

Thanks

Jesse

Hi Jesse, and welcome to you and your new baby!

Did you actually see your kitten's parents? I find the claim of 33 pounds for an intact Savannah to be a little hard to believe.....my F6C stud boy is quite tall, very lean and actually weighs 15 pounds, although most people guess him to be around 25 lbs, lol. I should take bets...I'd win ;) Most stud cats don't get heavy and chunky like a neutered male will. Your kitten sounds like a good size for his age, but I have sometimes found the heaviest (in weight) babies don't always grow up to be the largest from that litter, although a kitten that was born here as a singleton came from an 11 pound mother (non-SV) and a 10 pound Savannah father. He was 2 pounds at 1 month old, probably because he had the milk bar all to himself, and honestly looked more like a big fat hamster than a kitten :) As a neutered adult, he weighs I believe well over 20 pounds....and recent pics I received show him not looking like a Savannah at all....he is quite overweight and not what I think is healthy....and we want our Savannahs to be long and lean :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Hello I have seen a pics of the father he looks big!!! But could be a little over weight. now i 'm questioning if he is 33 lbs though Maybe a typo from the breeder I will have to ask.

Thanks

Jesse
Sometimes a breeder guesstimates weights of their cats, he might look really big. Generally Savannahs look like they'd weigh more than they actually ARE, that height and length is deceptive. A good Savannah should be tall and long and LEAN so not weigh so much.

Trouble the world's tallest Savannah I think is 22lbs now or something. he was 20lbs for some time and it was funny as we got to do a TV spot where they asked people to guess which cat weighed more; Trouble the world's tallest cat or my Georgie, a British Shorthair who is chubby and round but nowhere near the height of Trouble. They weighed the same at that time and it was funny to see the shock of people when they learned this.

I think your kitten is a good weight... I worry myself if my kittens weigh less than a pound for each month of life. I do think maybe the later generation cats may grow more of their eventual adult weight in their first year of life than the earlier generations. To me that makes sense as the domestic cat tends to be pretty well full-grown at a year old. It is the Serval that tends to continue to grow for some years. So although my F5 SBT kittens were 8lb at 5 months of age, I am not thinking they will be humongous but probably maybe 15lbs at adulthood?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Brigitte, Taj was 9 pounds at 5 mos and 12.5 pounds at 9 mos...I kept track because he was sick some of the time and I was asked to monitor his weight...he is now 2.5 years and almost 16 pounds...he could lose a pound or two though...so I think your guesstimate is right on.

Kristine

Hello I was wondering if there was some kind of chart or formula to predicting the adult size of savannah cats. I currently Have one f4 silver male that is around 10.5 weeks old and weighs about 4.25 lbs. His dad is an f5 i believe and he weighs around 33 lbs and his mom is a f3 that weights around 18 lbs. I was just wondering How big he can get?? 4.25 lbs seems a little big for a 10 week old kitten But I don't know.

Thanks

Jesse
It is hard to tell adult weight from kitten weight. In my experience, Savannah females top out between 7-13 lbs and males between 10-20 lbs at healthy weights. Even my largest F2 male is not over 20 lbs., although as he gets older I suspect he will be as he seems to be getting a bit chubby with age )-: Generally speaking Savannahs are not a heavy cat, they appear heavier than they are, due to them being a tall cat.

B

Breheart

Keljin though he is an F8, was hardly 1 lb at 12 weeks old (he was the runt of the litter). Now at 8 months old he is 10lbs, and I expect him to keep going at least a few more pounds through his first year. His litter mates used to be double his weight back then, but now he has surpassed them all and the tables have turned! I guess my point is its just too hard to judge the size they will grow up to be, and I think that's why no charts really exist for this. Most of the time its just going to have to be a pleasant surprise to see what you end up with. As long as he is healthy and happy! Welcome Jesse! Can't wait to see pics of your baby boy and to watch him grow up :)

Here's a picture of Xumi, my F2, I took last week. She's only 5 1/2 months old, and she weighs about 11 pounds. The floorboards are 2" wide, to give you a sense of scale.

I've seen pictures of her parents, and I suspect she'll be bigger than either of them, maybe even combined!

xumi out of gas 4-30-12.JPG

Trish Allearz

Here's a picture of Xumi, my F2, I took last week. She's only 5 1/2 months old, and she weighs about 11 pounds. The floorboards are 2" wide, to give you a sense of scale.

I've seen pictures of her parents, and I suspect she'll be bigger than either of them, maybe even combined!

View attachment 2087
It's funny, but it seems some of the F2s just run large. I mean- look at Trouble, the World's Largest Cat. He isn't an F1- he's an F2!