Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah Outside

Kerry

Savannah Kitten
I just a 18 month old silver black spotted female . She is spayed and very sweet . Will I be able to let her outside loose like the other cats . We live on 5 acres surrounded by woods. Will she stick around or take off. I take her out and put her in a very large crate so she can get use to it. She stares out the window watching the birds all day. She really wants out but I dont want her run off Will she stay arund like the other cats. I dont want to lose her. Any advice would be great Thanks

P

Patrycja

I'm sure someone here will have a good answer for you. The only outside cats I've ever had were cats I adopted as strays. They were used to being outside already so you couldn't really keep them strictly indoors. Best of luck <3

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hi Kerry,

I know I would not recommend you let you Savannah run loose and I don't know many who would. You can take her out with a harness and leash and let her explore as much as she wants or you can build her an enclosure perhaps?

But letting her just run loose? I know it is tempting on five acres, but I wouldn't do it.

admin

Paige
Staff member
We have lots of links with enclosures already built as well as people building there own...I just ordered an enclosure to put on my deck, so the cats can get some fresh air for a few hours daily. I also walk them though...

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I just a 18 month old silver black spotted female . She is spayed and very sweet . Will I be able to let her outside loose like the other cats . We live on 5 acres surrounded by woods. Will she stick around or take off. I take her out and put her in a very large crate so she can get use to it. She stares out the window watching the birds all day. She really wants out but I dont want her run off Will she stay arund like the other cats. I dont want to lose her. Any advice would be great Thanks

Please, please, do NOT consider letting your precious girl outside to roam free! There are so many dangers: diseases, ticks, fleas, dogs, coyotes, eagles, hawks, cars, theft.....need I go on?

Savannahs don't tend to stick around like most cats do. Often, when they get outside, they run; I've had a few escape the door and that's exactly what they did. I was able to catch them but not without losing several years off my life...;)

DO consider an outdoor habitat for her, or walks with a well-fitting walking jacket and leash. As Paige noted, there are many threads about this on this forum.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It really depends on the individual cat, but Savannahs are a very high energy curious cat...hence they will be VERY interested in exploring. They will wander far, intently chasing first one thing and then another. Easily could be miles from home before they think to look around and notice where they are. So it isn't a matter of them wanting to get lost just their nature is so curious and intent on what it is chasing that they could easily be lost. I wouldn't risk it unless you are prepared to lose your cat.

Trish Allearz

One of the worse Easters I've had was spent as a vet tech helping a vet pick maggots out of the leg of a cat that was let outdoors from time to time... The cat had wandered- a few blocks down, was hit by a car and laid in the bushes until its owner finally found it... Thank goodness, they brought the cat to the vet and had it treated, but I could not believe it when I found out they continued to let their cats outdoors to wander!

Plus- let's be honest, what you might consider adorable- your neighbors may not. A lot of neighbors are disgusted by a cat in their garden or chasing the songbirds. Even if your neighbors are a few acres away- like Brigitte said- never discount a curious Savannah! They could easily roam a bit too far!

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
Along with things everyone has said I would be nervous if she did venture
Assed your property and someone scooped her up. With such a striking cat you may not have someone find her who would be honest..