Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

She calls herself a rescue?!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
You know, I think there might be a way of challenging this tactic. $1000 is far and away from normal and customary adoption fees. Perhaps somebody should contact the state department of revenue and ask if they are evading the sales tax regulations. This appears to be a sale as opposed to an adoption fee.

A

Alice

I have been musing myself over this.... I'm sure something can be done, I'm going to also look into the fact that she is a not for profit organization..... Though theoretically if she really did pay $5000 in Vet bills and stuff would she be able to charge $1000 per cat? Would that be considered reasonable??
Thought it would be worth a shot to maybe talk to the manager of Petsmart as well.

Sonnenblume

Site Supporter
Could this not be a different angle for a backyard breeder? Has purchased Savannahs as pets (and may even be outcrossing) and breeding from them, then puts the 'rescue' spin on her sales tactics, pulling at peoples heart-strings and charging more than a registered would, for a registered cat.

She doe not have to worry about health of the kittens, reputation etc, because it wold be done under the 'guise' of rescue. Very sad this is being allowed to happen.

It may be genuine, but it just doesn't sit right with me !!!

NikkiA

Site Supporter
If you wanted to you could submit a tip to the IRS.
They are registered as a public charity, the EIN is 91-1901368 and the full legal name is Purrrsons United for the Rescue Rehab and Relation of Animals.
They are supposed to report unrelated business income. You could make the argument (although it might lose) that the adoption fees are unrelated business income.

Treywi

April
Wow, that is the type of "rescue" that I seriously can not stand. You don't pay a breeder to rescue an animal, if it's being mistreated you report to the authorities. If you are a legit rescue you work with the authorities to place the animals in good homes after they have been seized. Yes vet bills can be expensive. It's a given in rescue. It would be a totally different thing if they charged the same price for a mixed breed of cat/dog. No matter pure or mixed, vet is going to charge the same amount unless it's a size difference thing for basic stuff (spay/neuters, shots). They show dogs that have these huge vet bills on their site, would love to know how much they are planning on asking for adoption fee. I mean by their standards they did put thousands of dollars in so shouldn't they get thousands back? Oh wait they aren't a breed that gets thousands regularly so I'm guessing it'll be a cheaper adoption fee.

Sorry these types of people just get under my skin.

A

Alice

Wow, that is the type of "rescue" that I seriously can not stand. You don't pay a breeder to rescue an animal, if it's being mistreated you report to the authorities. If you are a legit rescue you work with the authorities to place the animals in good homes after they have been seized. Yes vet bills can be expensive. It's a given in rescue. It would be a totally different thing if they charged the same price for a mixed breed of cat/dog. No matter pure or mixed, vet is going to charge the same amount unless it's a size difference thing for basic stuff (spay/neuters, shots). They show dogs that have these huge vet bills on their site, would love to know how much they are planning on asking for adoption fee. I mean by their standards they did put thousands of dollars in so shouldn't they get thousands back? Oh wait they aren't a breed that gets thousands regularly so I'm guessing it'll be a cheaper adoption fee.

Sorry these types of people just get under my skin.
That is exactly my feelings about it. I was just SO so mad, it's total BS! Haven't gotten the Petsmart manager yet, but some worker there told me that very thing, she is asking allot because it's "a rare breed". Really?? Wow guess she hit the jackpot with them then huh...
I suppose I need to learn to relax but my blood pressure was dangerously high yesterday arrgggg!!!!!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
When you talk to the Petsmart employees again and they say "it's a rare breed" tell them that no, it is currently the 4th most registered breed in TICA! And has been for two years running. It's a relatively new breed but it is not rare by anyone's standards anymore.

I think Petsmart should be very very concerned about someone charging $1,000 for an adoption fee.

Want to give us the Branch name that this has gone down at...? I'd like to write my own letter to them...