Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Smitten with a kitten

admin

Paige
Staff member
Glad to hear you found another kitten! he will never take Moggie's place, but there is always plenty of love to go around. They definitely help heal your heart! I love the video - he is adorable!

As for Ocelli - it is definitely hard to get with later gens...not something I worry about :)

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for sharing a bit of my joy Paige. I wasn't really worried about oceli, just I loved Moggie's ears, and looking at kittens realized he somehow got lucky ...

But HB is beautiful, playful, super smart, considerate, affectionate but also independent, and pretty much perfect just as he is... And I think Moggie would be glad to see another kitten here. He always seemed like he wanted company.

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the good wishes, and for admiring my new baby/ teenager Patti.

Ninja-n-Bear, before Moggie, I had not had a cat for 10 years, and when that previous cat died at 15, for about 5 years I couldn't even look at a grey cat like him without starting to cry. Loosing a kitten is different than loosing an older cat. In some ways it feels a lot more wrong, and hurt worse, but for me it feels like kittens are still largely a part of the eternal universal kitten, and without all the history it is easier to see them looking at you through the eyes of another kitten. And I like to think Moggie's way too short life had a purpose in maybe setting things in motion for HB to end up here and have a better life here than he may have otherwise. Or so I hope....

Last edited:

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
As I have continued to participate here, and someone asked if HB and WC were short for something, I suppose I should do a better introduction and a brief explanation. Much as I appreciate social media and being able to share common interests with people, I have also gotten increasingly uncomfortable with some aspects of this. Anyways...thinking it through, my SVs don’t really need screen names for privacy reasons. And at this point I can’t really think of any good reason for this, except HB and WC are easy to type....

So... I now I live with 2 TICA registered Savannahs... and I have mentioned both WC and HB’s personalities and puzzling interpersonal relationship, at length (like really long at length) in another thread.

https://www.savannahcatchat.com/thr...nance-submissiveness-and-what-is-normal.7253/

HB is short for Honey Bug, one of the many things I call him. He came to me named Hank, not something I would name a cat, but I figured if he was used to this, it would do. And he knows his name. But I call him a lot of nicknames, and his delicate graceful build would fit better with a more elegant name. Sweety seems to be his most well used nickname these days. He is now almost 3 years old, an F7 SBT who seems to have picked up enough Serval genes to have some quirks. He is really beautiful, long, tall, slim, and graceful. He managed to inherit some substantial Serval looks, though he is small, only 11.5 lbs. He is extremely intelligent, considerate, well behaved, restless, seems to easily feel claustrophobic, and is totally paranoid, but in his own way he is also affectionate, let’s me know he trusts me, and loves hanging out with me, as long as he doesn’t feel constrained. He is also great on a leash, but I can’t figure out how to take him for walks anymore and leave WC behind, as I feel awful if either when one of them is left out.

WC is short for Willie Coyote. Because it totally suits him and he howls like he is dying of a broken heart if he feels left out. He is an F6 with some outcrossing, and he is almost 2 years old. WC is more like a regular domestic cat, he is also small, 11.5 lbs, with a chunky body, short legs, a weirdly out of proportion small head, short tail and lots of smaller spots, but what he lacks in grace he makes up for in personality. He is very sweet, super cuddly, goofy with an obvious sense of humour and mischief and is happy wherever, as long as he isn’t being left out. He can get lost on the back porch, and doesn’t seem to know his name or come when called. Though he is friendly enough I can always lure him in. However, he loves clicker training and learned tricks just as fast as HB. He is kind of off in his own world and a law unto himself. Sometimes when I look in his eyes I see an alien from another planet looking back at me.

Falling in love with Moggie, and now these two has kind of upended my life. Getting Savannah cats from breeders, I knew I would be expected to keep them contained, but I did not anticipate how difficult this would be living a rural lifestyle. A lot of my life is outside and HB wanted to be with me. The first year I spent a lot of time with HB out in the yard on a leash, and taking him for walks everyday on the mountain behind my house. By the time he was 8 months old he was completely obsessed with wanting out, and even though he had enclosed porches on 3 sides of the house, and at least a couple hours a day out on a leash with me, an hour after he came back in, he was desperate to go out again. So I spent a year gradually adding some covered walkways that linked a couple free standing enclosures, so he could walk in circles around the perimeter of our house, and have choices which route he takes.

And he still wanted out.... so then we got WC, and I think HB enjoys the feline company, when he isn’t feeling pushed aside (something WC does a lot) ... but once the weather warmed, he still wanted out. And then there was a problem because I couldn’t safely manage 2 cats on leashes and get anything done. I have a lot of outdoor chores to do, am in and out of the house 50 times a day, and HB cries if he is left behind. And WC who was usually happy, would howl if he saw me out with HB and he is left behind. It was really really distressing and impractical. So in desperation I decided to put a cat proof fence around my main yard, where HB wanted to be, which is about 1/3 of an acre with an orchard and pond and some wild areas. Which was a lot of work.... but the fence seems to be working, no escapes or even attempts, as it is such a large area, and I now have 2 very happy cats.

My neighbours cat that is territorial can’t get in to cause trouble. So that is a bonus.
And HB can’t chase the deer. ( video in link below was taken when HB was about a year old. I was expecting a sweet gentle Moggie style relationship... nope... )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QVmBM8Yx9o6fZdMcG0vxlGQ-upgO0RuU/view?usp=sharing

The raccoons can’t get in to steal my nuts and fruit. So that is another bonus.

And all my hair has gone grey. 47742540-A501-4842-944C-F4280507F4C9.jpeg B36A6EF6-71B8-460A-B412-3958DD3E3CA0.jpeg BC19A3F8-144A-4A09-A156-E4EE8F76A991.jpeg 7DBD2374-C864-42CE-B2DB-EDA62B8E59EB.jpeg
Love my kitties!

Attachments

• 1E20EFB2-1B2F-4D92-8ACA-B8E7B5D38395.jpeg
    1E20EFB2-1B2F-4D92-8ACA-B8E7B5D38395.jpeg
    461.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 6C348086-88D7-403F-8C5B-586FE74724F4.jpeg
    6C348086-88D7-403F-8C5B-586FE74724F4.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 9

Vito

Site Supporter
What a fantastic enclosure HB & WC have, it's a wonderful way for them to express themselves and be able to exhibit natural behaviours. Well done you!!
Was interesting to know what the abbreviations of their names were, excellent
Sounds like you have a great bond with your Savs, it's priceless isn't it.
Look forward to hearing some more stories.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
As I have continued to participate here, and someone asked if HB and WC were short for something, I suppose I should do a better introduction and a brief explanation. Much as I appreciate social media and being able to share common interests with people, I have also gotten increasingly uncomfortable with some aspects of this. Anyways...thinking it through, my SVs don’t really need screen names for privacy reasons. And at this point I can’t really think of any good reason for this, except HB and WC are easy to type....

So... I now I live with 2 TICA registered Savannahs... and I have mentioned both WC and HB’s personalities and puzzling interpersonal relationship, at length (like really long at length) in another thread.

https://www.savannahcatchat.com/thr...nance-submissiveness-and-what-is-normal.7253/

HB is short for Honey Bug, one of the many things I call him. He came to me named Hank, not something I would name a cat, but I figured if he was used to this, it would do. And he knows his name. But I call him a lot of nicknames, and his delicate graceful build would fit better with a more elegant name. Sweety seems to be his most well used nickname these days. He is now almost 3 years old, an F7 SBT who seems to have picked up enough Serval genes to have some quirks. He is really beautiful, long, tall, slim, and graceful. He managed to inherit some substantial Serval looks, though he is small, only 11.5 lbs. He is extremely intelligent, considerate, well behaved, restless, seems to easily feel claustrophobic, and is totally paranoid, but in his own way he is also affectionate, let’s me know he trusts me, and loves hanging out with me, as long as he doesn’t feel constrained. He is also great on a leash, but I can’t figure out how to take him for walks anymore and leave WC behind, as I feel awful if either when one of them is left out.

WC is short for Willie Coyote. Because it totally suits him and he howls like he is dying of a broken heart if he feels left out. He is an F6 with some outcrossing, and he is almost 2 years old. WC is more like a regular domestic cat, he is also small, 11.5 lbs, with a chunky body, short legs, a weirdly out of proportion small head, short tail and lots of smaller spots, but what he lacks in grace he makes up for in personality. He is very sweet, super cuddly, goofy with an obvious sense of humour and mischief and is happy wherever, as long as he isn’t being left out. He can get lost on the back porch, and doesn’t seem to know his name or come when called. Though he is friendly enough I can always lure him in. However, he loves clicker training and learned tricks just as fast as HB. He is kind of off in his own world and a law unto himself. Sometimes when I look in his eyes I see an alien from another planet looking back at me.

Falling in love with Moggie, and now these two has kind of upended my life. Getting Savannah cats from breeders, I knew I would be expected to keep them contained, but I did not anticipate how difficult this would be living a rural lifestyle. A lot of my life is outside and HB wanted to be with me. The first year I spent a lot of time with HB out in the yard on a leash, and taking him for walks everyday on the mountain behind my house. By the time he was 8 months old he was completely obsessed with wanting out, and even though he had enclosed porches on 3 sides of the house, and at least a couple hours a day out on a leash with me, an hour after he came back in, he was desperate to go out again. So I spent a year gradually adding some covered walkways that linked a couple free standing enclosures, so he could walk in circles around the perimeter of our house, and have choices which route he takes.

And he still wanted out.... so then we got WC, and I think HB enjoys the feline company, when he isn’t feeling pushed aside (something WC does a lot) ... but once the weather warmed, he still wanted out. And then there was a problem because I couldn’t safely manage 2 cats on leashes and get anything done. I have a lot of outdoor chores to do, am in and out of the house 50 times a day, and HB cries if he is left behind. And WC who was usually happy, would howl if he saw me out with HB and he is left behind. It was really really distressing and impractical. So in desperation I decided to put a cat proof fence around my main yard, where HB wanted to be, which is about 1/3 of an acre with an orchard and pond and some wild areas. Which was a lot of work.... but the fence seems to be working, no escapes or even attempts, as it is such a large area, and I now have 2 very happy cats.

My neighbours cat that is territorial can’t get in to cause trouble. So that is a bonus.
And HB can’t chase the deer. ( video in link below was taken when HB was about a year old. I was expecting a sweet gentle Moggie style relationship... nope... )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QVmBM8Yx9o6fZdMcG0vxlGQ-upgO0RuU/view?usp=sharing

The raccoons can’t get in to steal my nuts and fruit. So that is another bonus.

And all my hair has gone grey. View attachment 27962 View attachment 27963 View attachment 27964 View attachment 27965
Love my kitties!
I love the pic with the deer casually looking into the enclosure with the cat in it.

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the kind words about my sprawling cat containment projects. :) I am very happy the fence has worked so well, and that both seem to accept this as a reasonable limit to their territory. Occasional encounters with unfriendly neighbours cats having meltdowns on the other side of the fence probably helps convince them. My two just sit a few feet back in bemused wonder at the aggressive yowling, and frustrated interaction with the metal fence. They don’t seem bothered by this and keep their ears forward and no puffed fur, then they get bored and walk away. But WC does seem to pick that spot later, to deposit a poop he doesn’t cover.

Linda, the deer in the picture, hanging out with HB in his enclosure is the same fawn that Moggie took a shine to. I named him Brilliant, because he seemed to understand HB and made an effort to spend time with him, both in his enclosures and when he was out on a leash. Maybe because it met a friendly kitten when it was young. And oddly HB seemed to pick up Brilliant wasn’t scared of him, so he gave up trying to chase him when he discovered Brilliant would not run away. ( the google drive link in the post above, is to a video of HB chasing deer like he thinks he is a wolf) HB still enjoys chasing the deer he sees outside the fence. He will come charging across the yard towards them, slowing down before the fence, so he knows he won’t be able to pursue, and doesn’t look at all disappointed when they run away. I think it is a satisfying power rush for him, being able to make such a big animal run for it’s life... ( as far as I know, not even Serval’s try to catch adult deer...) (and this is also odd as HB is usually very shy) This year there is a large beautiful buck that has been hanging around my back yard and I bring him some of the early apples, as the deer can no longer come into the yard. (Another bonus, no deer poop everywhere!) I am not sure if this is Brilliant or not, but he does seem to know to hope for apples.... pictures below are a couple more of HB hanging out with his buddy Brilliant in 2018. (HB is surrounded by yellow dots in the tunnel off the porch)

Attachments

• 5FEF078D-85BA-4A47-8F9C-ABFA384069CE.jpeg
    5FEF078D-85BA-4A47-8F9C-ABFA384069CE.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 4