Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Sneezing Savannah!

nickandkristi

Savannah Super Cat
Hey Everyone,

I've noticed that my Savannah has started sneezing this week. I didn't really think too much of it until she sneezed 3 times in a row today and has a little bit of crusties starting in her eye. She's been high energy, eating well and otherwise healthy. Is there something I should do before taking her to the vet? The stress toll on taking her to the vet is really high on her, she's such a drama queen when it comes to car rides.

From what I've read it could be respiratory or allergies or a cold. Anyone with any experience with this issues? She's an only pet.

Thanks!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Do you have any other cats in the household? How long have you had her? Just wondering if she could have picked up something for another cat - many viruses become dormant but cats become lifelong carriers and can infect other cats.

Does the discharge look clear or does it have any color (even white) to it? (clear = virus, color = bacteria). What is your relationship with your vet? Most times they will just start a cat on amoxicillin or Clavamox, is there any chance he would prescribe it for you without you having to take her in?

nickandkristi

Savannah Super Cat
She's an only cat and I've had her for 3 months. The only time she's been close to any other animals was when she was spayed 4 weeks ago.

The liquid is clear. The relationship with the vet is kind of up and down since it's the first Savannah they have ever treated. I'm not sure if they are being extra cautious sometimes or just trying to run up my vet bill :/

I have been running the fan more lately in my bedroom and she sleeps under the bed in her cat bed, could that be a contributing factor?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It could be allergies if you are running the fan more hence likely kicking up more dust. Maybe try an air purifier for her?

I'm sorry your vet makes a distinction between your Savannah and any other cat breed... there is as much fear of the unknown in the veterinary population as the rest of the community I suppose!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It's possible the fan is simply kicking up extra dust that is irritating your girl. I don't know that it is something you need to rush off to the vet for, unless it gets worse.

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your Savannah? I have a F4. She is about 2 years old and never has had any health issues. But Thursday she started the sneezing. It has not progressed to the constant yucky eyes and drooling. All the liquid is clear. Today she started mouth breathing. I am just wanting to hear if anyone thinks it is just allergies or some kind of a virus. Thanks.

Kristine

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your Savannah? I have a F4. She is about 2 years old and never has had any health issues. But Thursday she started the sneezing. It has not progressed to the constant yucky eyes and drooling. All the liquid is clear. Today she started mouth breathing. I am just wanting to hear if anyone thinks it is just allergies or some kind of a virus. Thanks.
Mouth breathing is something that is a significant symptom and needs veterinary assistance. Until you can get her to a vet...put her in the bathroom and run the shower on hot to get some humidity/sauna conditions going. If you have a humidifier, but it in there with her as well overnight. She most likely just has a nasty cold that has now developed into a bacterial infection and with some antibiotics she'll be right as rain in a few days.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
So your F4 has been with you for two years and just now started sneezing and mouth breathing? There's not been any introductions of other pets or changes to the household?

As to allergies and asthma, it is possible...has she ever had coughing episodes or sneezing before?

As Kristine says, mouth breathing is concerning and I would be careful monitoring her until you can get her to the vet...

John Popp

Site Supporter
I have been running the fan more lately in my bedroom and she sleeps under the bed in her cat bed, could that be a contributing factor?

Sleeping under a bed could definitely be a contributing factor!

First, let me say that this is not in the least a matter of personal hygiene.

We have hundreds of types of bacteria and fungus living on our skin. It serves a purpose such as taking care of our continually shedding skin, but don't think a hot shower is going to get rid of it, in fact it multiplies the bacteria. The bacteria types on our skin is always in flux and 80+% of the bacteria types there today will be different than what's there 3 months from now.

Yours, mine or anyone else's most bacteria laden places in our homes is our beds. It doesn't matter how often you change sheets or other bedding, it's just a rich environment for bacteria because of the amount of time spent there. Furthermore our bodies become the transport mechanism to introduce new types of bacteria to our mattresses each day. Again, this has nothing to do with personal hygiene and much of the bacteria we encounter is what helps us build a healthy immune system.

As for your cat, sleeping under a bed places them in a virtual snow storm of bacteria. That in addition to a fan being on places them in a bacterial blizzard. While an air purifier may help, they are still sleeping under the source (you and your mattress) which is a conveyer belt of new bacterial introductions.