Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Spay/Neuter rant

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Me buying a F1, I would want that kitten ASAP so it can get used to a harness and be socialized more with me and it's surroundings! Getting it neutered no later than 3 months is good!;)

John Popp

Site Supporter
Keep the bathroom door shut!!:lol:

Closed doors only leads to out of key falsetto singing the songs of their people.

singing-cat.png

Trish Allearz

Me buying a F1, I would want that kitten ASAP so it can get used to a harness and be socialized more with me and it's surroundings! Getting it neutered no later than 3 months is good!;)
Um, my first F1 came to me between 16-20 weeks and we had absolutely no issues with his socialization. A good breeder is going to socialize their kittens continuously.

In fact, I would say CottonCandy and BoPeep at 16 weeks are better family kittens then I would have said at 12 weeks. They are much more social, outgoing, and loveable rascals. Before 12 weeks- kittens are not out in the household due to their lack of immunity. So anytime after that 12 weeks, they start being more exposed to the big bad world.

True, true on the TP shredding though. One of these little ones love it and it's driving me bonkers!

John Popp

Site Supporter
True, true on the TP shredding though. One of these little ones love it and it's driving me bonkers!

That's why I always step on the roll. I end up with a couple shredded feet as opposed to the whole thing. As long as it spins freely, they don't stop until they have unwound the whole thing.

It's also something I am very proud of as I got a point on the scoreboard of who outsmarted who.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Um, my first F1 came to me between 16-20 weeks and we had absolutely no issues with his socialization. A good breeder is going to socialize their kittens continuously.

In fact, I would say CottonCandy and BoPeep at 16 weeks are better family kittens then I would have said at 12 weeks. They are much more social, outgoing, and loveable rascals. Before 12 weeks- kittens are not out in the household due to their lack of immunity. So anytime after that 12 weeks, they start being more exposed to the big bad world.

Yes, I do have to make sure a breeder is socializing the kitten for sure by seeing videos and photos if I can't be there to visit the kitten. I had a bad experience before getting a F1 5 years ago...it was not socialized at all and the breeder actually told me she wasn't going to bottle feed them either..she let the mom take over!:( It had a feral like personality and was 5 months old when I got him!

wetcats

Savannah Super Cat
Yikes, Diane, , that sounds awful. How did you manage, since I don't know all the history of your cats?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, I do have to make sure a breeder is socializing the kitten for sure by seeing videos and photos if I can't be there to visit the kitten. I had a bad experience before getting a F1 5 years ago...it was not socialized at all and the breeder actually told me she wasn't going to bottle feed them either..she let the mom take over!:( It had a feral like personality and was 5 months old when I got him!

That sounds more like the breeder was not spending the necessary time with them. I don't believe F1s NEED to be bottlefed, unless maybe if the mom was Serval not the dad. After all, if momma cat is a domestic cat, why would they not do as well being with her until weaning like other domestic kittens? They should learn from their mama that humans are good things! As long as the breeder spends good amounts of time with a litter when being nursed and when weaned, they should be fine. Only one of the F1s I have had was bottlefed and the others raised on mama, and the bottled F1 is not more cuddly than the others.

I would question the sociability of the mother of that F1 AND the amount of human socialization that kitten got before he came to you. I think the main use of bottle-feeding in that scenario is that it at least means the breeder is in contact with the kittens at least twice a day for bottle feeding I guess...