Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Spay/Neuter rant

Trish Allearz

Okay, so I'm going to rant here and ya'll can throw in your opinions. Well, not John Popp- we never agree ;) (Just kidding, just kidding! Popp on over and let me know what you think!).

I love placing my kittens into great homes and typically, when I have nonpermissible colors- I offer them at great prices because I think it's a way for homes who normally cannot purchase F2s to get a fantastic cat, just a different color! I personally do not subscribe to the theory that you must be rich to own an F1-F2 otherwise, you are a crappy owner. Hogwash. You don't have to sell a kidney to have an F6-F7 and you can be a FANTASTIC owner. So I don't think you need to be rolling in the dough Scrooge McDuck style to have a wonderful F2!

Anyways- so it yanks my chain when I get accused of being a scoundrel because I CHOOSE to spay/neuter my pets before placement. No- I'm sorry-you as the pet owner do not have the right to CHOOSE whether or not to breed MY lines. I make that choice and it's mine to make! No, I'm not trying to keep the market from flooding with Savannahs (although wouldn't that be a GOOD and ETHICAL thing?) to keep prices high. Hell, my prices tend to NOT be high!

So... Opinions- do you dislike breeders who spay/neuter before placement? Why or why not? I'm not changing my ways- I can't tell you how nice it was to get the babies altered this year. Still have CC and BoPeep to go, but we have time :D

admin

Paige
Staff member
I will let others answer, but I will S/N my next litter, so I don't have to worry about it. I did not do that this time and had no issues, but I don't feel like having to run after people to get it done...and take the chance, they will not adhere to my contract and then I would have to take them to court, which I would do.

Treywi

April
Personally I would like to see all breeders do this. Frankly there is no reason for a possible owner to get upset if it is already done prior to them bringing home the kitten. If they don't like it, well makes you wonder if they would get the cat done themselves.

Trish Allearz

You know what's funny Trish? As soon as I saw the word"rant", I knew this thread was from you...:-D
I know. I rant a lot. Lol! But it feels good getting it off my chest and sometimes, someone has a valid view I've yet to discover!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Trish Allearz

Personally I would like to see all breeders do this. Frankly there is no reason for a possible owner to get upset if it is already done prior to them bringing home the kitten. If they don't like it, well makes you wonder if they would get the cat done themselves.
This lady wants a cheap breeder... She wants a breeder at pet price and I think that is what chapped her hide. Lol.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

John Popp

Site Supporter
Trish, no offense taken and I think it's just a shame that a contract saying that you can't breed a kitten isn't good enough. Ideal timing for spay/neuter also pushes your window out when you can place kittens and this of course comes at even a greater cost to you than having the procedure done. Personally I would have been happy to had a kitten that was pre-snipped as it's a struggle making sure you're doing the right procedure with anesthesia while also being on edge hoping all goes well.

Anyway, shame on the customer you mentioned, and sometimes the best sale you ever make is the one you don't.

M

MK Anderson

I loved having my cats fixed before I got them, one less thing I had to worry about... I had to fix Chloe on my own because she was dumped

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
"So... Opinions- do you dislike breeders who spay/neuter before placement? Why or why not? "

If the two breeders of my cats had pre-neuterered them, I still would have purchased both Amaury and Shango. In my case they did not, so I ended up doing this later myself of course. But I would have had no issues if the breeder did this as well. dj