Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Spoiled girl - moving her off the counter makes her gargle scream

A

adamcrssmn

This little girl is definitely vocal about not getting her way. It sounds like I would have stepped on her for this gargling like scream she makes from her stomach when I a) move her off the counter to set her down, b) deny her something she wants. Obviously moving her off the counter makes the noise go several octaves louder! This is the normal, hi human, I love you meow gargle but ramped up in intensity.

She doesn't seem slighted for not getting her way and is learning to remain off the counter during food prep steadily to where I only need to move her off twice before she gets the hint. The first few days were like fighting a rubber band stretching back to position where I had to stand up and prepare the food in the air from how insistent and QUICK she was.

This girl is lightning fast, I will give her that. Once she gains weight I will have less concern someone stealing her food and supervising meals.
Sounds like a pretty typical Savannah!!! Tardis, is by far the most vocal of our cats and he's vocal about EVERYTHING, especially when he doesn't get his way... which isn't often... He's spoiled.

A

adamcrssmn

I think you need these. Ladder pants to prevent leg injury and a spiked belt to limit travel to the upper torso. They are sure to make you the envy of all your friends.

8467507315_43ff739b5f_z.jpg
Wow... If I ever want to make sure my wife won't touch me...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
She gets up on top of the metal trash can that has a flat lid to watch. I love the idea of a tree, stool, or perch however the kitchen is just too small (1 person surrounded by full appliances) so there's no room for anything extra. Yesterday went smoothly, just setting her down the once. She's also learned to jump up into the cabinet shelves where my Sam Adams Octoberfest and their food is stored at the end of the kitchen and off the counters to watch, so that's a plus I guess. Thankfully she hasn't learned how to open a can, then we're in the stuff.
You might be surprised if you step back and look at your kitchen with a fresh eye... there may be a space. Maybe not for a full cat tree, but giving your cat an easily reached shelf perch would work just as well. Just a defined place where the cat is allowed that is high enough that she can supervise the activity :)
As you mentioned the cabinet shelves, maybe there is a way to rearrange to make part of them a defined area. Put a kitty mat down on it so it is clear where she IS allowed...

Sunny

Loyal Servant
I like the shelf idea more and more, the pantry area is a 4 shelf affair with a single long door that the boys know how to pull open like a cabinet door and get into/out of. The shelves are deep and wide enough they could support 4 full size SVs laying on their sides comfortably so converting one into cat space to peek out of is easy. The smaller cabinets are just too full to convert a section and in fact, I already picked up earthquake latches and a new drill to secure the ones that store people food anticipating any day now my little explorer will stumble onto chocolate chips and my baking ingredients, something sodium rich, or otherwise extremely very bad for them.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
John Popp, you have too much time on your hands! Why oh why would you even go looking for something like that? Isn't Chongo tearing up the house yet?