Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Suggestions on LONG trip for my first Savannah

I'm getting a F2 boy from SavannahSeattle and they will be flying to Chicago (over 4 hours total) and then a 3 hour drive back to my house in Illinois.
Will he be ok being only 11 weeks old?? Should I let him out in my car at all? Should I bring anything?? Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Patti

Admin
Staff member
He should be fine. If he has been trained to wear a walking jacket you can take him out before you begin the drive home, otherwise I would just leave him crated - less stressful on him. You can bring water and maybe a little food but he probably won't eat anything.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
think I should let him out in the car if i'm bringing a friend with??
No. What you should do is get home as soon as you can and leave him in the crate for the entire trip. He'll be stressed enough leaving the only home and people he has known. Having a stranger putting him in too many new situations is not in his best interests. Get him home and in his quarantine room where you and he can begin the bonding process and where he'll have time to adapt to you and his new home on his own terms.

I understand he will be stressed so keep him in his cage... But in a cage or out, in a accident it would all be bad. Thanks for the advise!

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
I did give my cats Gabapentin for the 4 hr drive so took them in. It has a wide safety margin. Very hard to overdose. I had a long backseat carrier that fit the length of the backseat so they were all in this one crate. They slept for the whole trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro