Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Teeth Brushing

M

MK Anderson

No! two of my cats eat the raw with bone and have nice teeth. I am slowly getting Pergie to finally stop spitting the bone out, but I use a spray on his teeth.

admin

Paige
Staff member
well...Zuri had awesome teeth when she was eating raw and still does but seems like the whole prey model isn't helping her teeth like raw...my vet sees a little plaque and wants me to brush her teeth...I just don't see that happening :eek:

M

MK Anderson

Yeah, dont think mine would like that either. I do spray Keeba and Chloes too, but not as much or as often as Pergie. It work pretty good, but you have to keep it up. I get in from Revival Health, it's petzLife spray. I've heard the water stuff works well too. I also know there is another brand that some other Savannah peeps use too for the water, I cant remember the name of it tho.

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
Am I wrong to assume dry cleans their teeth? Ive heard mixed reviews and never remembered to ask till now? Mine are on a dry/wet with some raw diet. More so the dry is to snack on in my eyes

admin

Paige
Staff member
Am I wrong to assume dry cleans their teeth? Ive heard mixed reviews and never remembered to ask till now? Mine are on a dry/wet with some raw diet. More so the dry is to snack on in my eyes

I don't think that is true...raw really does it when it is ground with the bone...Zuri is on whole prey, but it is small, so she is not getting much ground bone...I may go back to some raw for her...

admin

Paige
Staff member
I do not, but I do not think there is a real need unless you have a cat prone to gum disease.

Thanks Kristine...just a few short months ago, Zuri's teeth were fine...and now I am supposed to get her teeth cleaned? I don't think so...

Trish Allearz

Dry does help clean their teeth- but it kinda goes in this order...

Bone in raw because the cat has to work to get the meat off the bones and therefore, this helps clean the teeth

Kibble

Wet

However- then you have to think... What is the best for your cat's kidneys over the years? Odd thing to think about- but cats on dry food generally intake a lot less water which is bad for their kidneys. In this situation, it probably goes raw/wet and then kibble as your distant third choice.

So you have the debate- what is more important to take care of? Teeth, which can be cleaned, or kidneys, which it seems we are seeing younger and younger cats develop kidney disease compared to days past?

Just food for thought.