Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The African Serval

admin

Paige
Staff member
Due to increased interest in the issues of servals as pets spurred by the discussion of legislation banning exotics in several states, the purpose of this thread is to focus on how servals are integral to the breeding of savannah cats.

Photos of Servals are welcome in this forum, questions about the Serval are welcome and those owners/breeders with Servals are encouraged to talk to us about them.

L

llamamama

I am a new member in search of wisdom. We have had a Bengal for quite some time. We just got an "exotic" kitten and now I am finding it difficult to find a vet willing to declaw front and back. This cat is going to be BIG and I have a small indoor dog that could potentially be hurt badly or killed in simple play as the cat gets older. Do you declaw front and back? If so, how did you convince your vet to do the procedure? With the state and county ordinances being written so vaguely, I'm not even sure it is legal for me to have my new kitten, so I am hesitant to wave red flags around. Thanks for any advice or experience you may be willing to share.

Michelle Anderson

Savannah Super Cat
I honestly wouldn't declaw the cat (my personal opinion, I find it disturbing).....And as far as the front and back claws....I don't know of many people that have their cats back claws removed anyway. I think if you teach this new "kitten" to play nice with the dog while they are young..then you shouldn't have a problem, as they get older...BUT if this cat is dangerous; it still has a mouth with TEETH, and you can't have the teeth removed..lol So if you let them play while they are young, and monitor them....they will be used to each other and know how to "play" when they are older. What type of kitten is this? Because if it's illegal in your state, you won't be able to take it a vet anyway(without the vet calling authorities, anyway) I'm sure others on this forum will give you some advice as well, there are very informative individuals on here that I'm sure will be able to shed some light on your situation.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It probably would help if you told us what kind of "exotic" you got, how big is "BIG"? If you mean an early generation Savannah as "exotic" (which it is not) then I would say that you do NOT need to declaw and certainly not both front and back. In fact, here in California it is illegal to declaw an F1-F3 Savannah in any case. Even if your other cat is declawed I do not believe it is necessary. Cats tend to work things out and rarely do mine use their claws when slapping each other. Which is a good thing as my F1 Nina does love to slap. If she used her claws my beagle would have a bloodied nose most days and there is not a mark on him.

Personally, I feel worried for you given that you don't know if your new cat is legal where you live... getting veterinary attention can thus become difficult :-(

Medesha

Savannah Super Cat
I would seriously reconsider declawing your cat. Most methods are simply just painful for the cat and do long-lasting damage to them, and WHEN (not if) they escape outside, they'll be completely defenseless.

Also, there are other options to avoid declawing your cat. Again, like Michelle said, you can really try and get the two animals used to each other so fights don't escalate too far. You can also get something like this for your cat: http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Claws-Ca...W45S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337014380&sr=8-2 .

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice when it comes to convincing your vet- It really depends on what kind of legal concerns you have.

L

llamamama

OK...I understand the feelings of the people on this site. I withdraw my request for information as it appears it will not be forthcoming. Thank you

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
OK...I understand the feelings of the people on this site. I withdraw my request for information as it appears it will not be forthcoming. Thank you
I think that many simply don't agree with declawing, as it's essentially cutting off half of the cat's toe and not just the nail. However, it is still your cat and thus your choice..
I also think that seeing as how you have not told us what type of cat you have nor what state, these things should be clarified so we can offer some assistance.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Agreed. If it is a true exotic cat there may be a case for it...I don't know as I don't live with exotics, only Savannahs!

Per Lausund

Staff member
I need to say this, and to no-one in particular: declawing is partial amputation of toes and fingers. You DO NOT do that. Nor do you shorten legs by removing parts of long bones (less painful than declawing and less disability) in order to make a short-legged animal, nor do you shape ears with knives and scissors, nor do you dock tails. Or remove vocal cords.
YOU DO NOT DO ANY OF THESE THINGS TO ANIMALS!
tri sick: