Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The Demon under the Bed -- acclimating your new SV to your home

admin

Paige
Staff member
Our little guy freaks out when we leave his quarantine room. Yowls and is frantic. How do you get through it? He has all manner of safe toys and is perfectly fine with us in the room. He is well socialized and completely unafraid of us. Very playful but highly distraught when alone. He is not used to it. Afraid I may have to sleep in here....suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

He is missing his mom and littermates...as Deborah said, TV or radio would be good...or they even have stuffed animals with music ;)

Lesley

Site Supporter
Thanks will try a radio tonight. He is chowing down right now.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Our first weekend with D, we got no sleep.
He flew in on a Friday, and kept us up all night friday and all night saturday.
By sunday, he was willing to let us have a couple of hours of sleep.
We were bad SV parents, and he was in bed with us from Friday night on. We could not deal with the yowling, we gave in quickly. His first month, he only slept if he was in bed with us and one of us had 2 hands on him.

Lesley

Site Supporter
Ughh. Dont have the option to be bad. Have 3 other cats and have to keep him in quarantine

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
My two are officially scheduled for next Saturday. Hopefully they will not be problematic.

Good luck with the radio or tv. Let us know how it works out. Try leaving it set to NPR, I hear it is good for inducing sleep in most mammals. ;)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You might also try leaving some items of clothing with your scent on it with him in the room. It won't necessarily stop his howling, but it might help him feel a little less alone.

Lesley

Site Supporter
Thanks Patti

Our breeder gave us a towel that he and his siblings always laid on. Along with some toys that he chose ( watched him pick them out of a toy pile). He currently is asleep in a Cat bed our cats have been in. His choice, he loves if. Thanks for the advice.

Christina_

Savannah Super Cat
Our breeder recommened putting either a hot water bottle wrapped ina cloth or an electric blanket (low setting) on her bed, along with a radio or TV. She said it would help give the warmth they miss when they are separated from their littermates.

Lesley

Site Supporter
Thanks Christina. Thats a good idea. He is so comfortable when we are with him and just miserable in the room alone. I will try a heating pad on low.

Reactions: Sol

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Ughh. Dont have the option to be bad. Have 3 other cats and have to keep him in quarantine

Ouch. D was our first cat, so QT for him was more an issue of keeping him in a restricted space than anything else. I hope your lovely new boy settles in soon!