Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The Demon under the Bed -- acclimating your new SV to your home

Lesley

Site Supporter
He is doing a little better today. He just really wants to be with us and meet the other cats. Misses his siblings.

Lesley

Site Supporter
Ok. I need help. Anyone here use Taptotalk 2? If so, how do you start a topic? My question is, once Spartacus is out of quarantine, im going to have to leave him alone in the house out of confinement at SOME POINT. Scared to death of this. We will have him out and about only with supervision for awhile, but the day is gonna come. We have open rafters from the loft and wood flooring. I am just concerned he might injure himself. Should his age be a consideration? He hates this quarantine period. We are kitty proofing everything and he seems pretty well behaved, other then being a total spaz. Oh, and he has deemed the ADT stickers on the doors pure evil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
During the first few days when he is out of quarantine, you'll be able to observe what catches his interest in the house. He'll probably let you know pretty quickly if those rafters are too enticing to ignore. Don't know what you can do about that if they can't be blocked off or if it's not feasible to put something soft underneath them to help break a fall. Age is a factor when it comes honing balance and coordination.

Do your other cats get on the rafters? Monkey see monkey do but even if he doesn't see the other cats up there doesn't mean his inquisitiveness won't take him where he shouldn't go. You can try the usual deterrents if you see him going up there -- squirt bottle, loud noise, saying "no" loudly, scat mats. One of our other mods, Brigitte, set up a system of air canisters that went off when the cats approached her Christmas tree. Maybe that would work in your case. You'll have to be diligent so you can scare him away before he gets on the rafters. Disciplining him once he's up there could scare him and cause him to panic.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Re: Tapatalk -- I have a galaxy S4 -- when I select a forum, I tap the bottom left of the phone (a little icon lights up. Sorry I can't remember what the key is called. When it's tapped, a menu appears on the screen and one of the options is "new topic."

Lesley

Site Supporter
I actually don't think its feasible to keep him off the rafters. They are about 6 inches wide and our DSH's sleep on them. We even have a cat bed attached to a window on the far side of the rafters. Never had one fall, lives here with cats for 16 yrs now. But, still. Yes, We will definitely watch what he does once out and about. Figured his behavior would be different when home alone and less occupied.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
One of our other mods, Brigitte, set up a system of air canisters that went off when the cats approached her Christmas tree. Maybe that would work in your case. .
I have this vision of air horns going off in the middle of the night scaring the poop out of everyone! Or worse, the cats figuring out how run back and forth making the air horns blast out Jingle Bells over and over again!

No really, I am perfectly sane.

coraljunk

Savannah Teenager
I actually don't think its feasible to keep him off the rafters. They are about 6 inches wide and our DSH's sleep on them. We even have a cat bed attached to a window on the far side of the rafters. Never had one fall, lives here with cats for 16 yrs now. But, still. Yes, We will definitely watch what he does once out and about. Figured his behavior would be different when home alone and less occupied.

Do you have a picture of these rafters? Because this sounds awesome!

Lesley

Site Supporter
u6u8e9e2.jpg

You can get an idea from this shot. You can also see 2 of our DSHs

Lesley

Site Supporter
ery5uhyb.jpg

Since I'm adding some pix, here is our other DSH, Scrapper