Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Things you wish you knew before buying a Savannah?

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
We've had Jengo just over a month now and it's totally a different experience than I had expected. I'm much more in love with him than I had ever imagined I would be and I can't believe some of the misconceptions I had about the breed.

I wish I had known how needy Savannah's can be - Jengo doesn't really like to play by himself.

I wish I had known how mischievous they can be - Jengo is far smarter than he lets on, lol!

I wish I had known how easily bored they get.

I wish I had known how mouthy they can be! Jengo sure is a talker and at first I couldn't tell if he loved me or hated me.

I wish I had known how alert they are - Jengo can't be a lap cat unless he's exhausted.

I wish I had known just how much playtime they need.

I wish I knew that size wasn't going to matter that much.

What do you wish you had known?

*Now, that we've all settled in I can't believe how much personality he has! He's hilarious and a total clown. I imagined a giant sized lap cat covered in spots and what I got was a hyper active kitty who makes me laugh and talks to me and yells at me. He doesn't really like strangers - which is just fine with me and when my friends leave he tells me ALL about it :) He's stubborn and will not be bought with food nor be easily distracted when he decides he's on a mission, he will not be trained or told what to do - even though he understands the word no. He's a total manipulator - full of purrs and kitten mews when he wants something or will sound as though he's just broken an ankle if that doesn't work. He likes to be near me but not always on me and he shows love by following me of giving me kitty nose bump kisses. I can't remember what life was like before him - he's made us so happy.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I wish I had known that my female savannah would be much more of a princess than my male...

I wish I had known about Savannahs a long time ago - I would probably have a house full by now...

I wish I has known how to really play with all my cats - owning a savannah has taught me that all cats need play time...my DSH Cisco now plays and plays because of my Savannahs...

I wish I had another Savannah - I will have a kitten soon....

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
I wish I had known that my female savannah would be much more of a princess than my male...

I wish I had known about Savannahs a long time ago - I would probably have a house full by now...

I wish I has known how to really play with all my cats - owning a savannah has taught me that all cats need play time...my DSH Cisco now plays and plays because of my Savannahs...

I wish I had another Savannah - I will have a kitten soon....

I never knew cats needed play time like dogs. I thought they were low maintenance - Savannah's are NOT low maintenance cats that's for sure.

When Jengo got here I only had like 2-3 toys for him and thought that would be enough - now he has more toys than most children, lol!

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
We've had Jengo just over a month now and it's totally a different experience than I had expected. I'm much more in love with him than I had ever imagined I would be and I can't believe some of the misconceptions I had about the breed.

I wish I had known how needy Savannah's can be - Jengo doesn't really like to play by himself.

I wish I had known how mischievous they can be - Jengo is far smarter than he lets on, lol!

I wish I had known how easily bored they get.

I wish I had known how mouthy they can be! Jengo sure is a talker and at first I couldn't tell if he loved me or hated me.

I wish I had known how alert they are - Jengo can't be a lap cat unless he's exhausted.

I wish I had known just how much playtime they need.

I wish I knew that size wasn't going to matter that much.

What do you wish you had known?

*Now, that we've all settled in I can't believe how much personality he has! He's hilarious and a total clown. I imagined a giant sized lap cat covered in spots and what I got was a hyper active kitty who makes me laugh and talks to me and yells at me. He doesn't really like strangers - which is just fine with me and when my friends leave he tells me ALL about it :) He's stubborn and will not be bought with food nor be easily distracted when he decides he's on a mission, he will not be trained or told what to do - even though he understands the word no. He's a total manipulator - full of purrs and kitten mews when he wants something or will sound as though he's just broken an ankle if that doesn't work. He likes to be near me but not always on me and he shows love by following me of giving me kitty nose bump kisses. I can't remember what life was like before him - he's made us so happy.

This thread makes me smile and chuckle. As a breeder, it is SO HARD to describe "what a Savannah is like" to a potential customer if they have never experienced one in person. People "do not get" HIGH ENERGY until they have been owned by a Savannah, nor to they comprehend how a cat yelling at you from the top of the refrigerator can evoke immediate action to fulfill their every desire as quickly as possible. The average person does not understand child safety locks, hidden toilet paper, locked up bread, cat towers, cat walks, raw food and walking harnesses... all for a CAT. They will never "get it" unless they have been so blessed to bond with and be owned by a Savannah.

It is, a very spiritual thing. Even after nearly 8 years, I am still in awe, and still very much in love with this breed. The only people who truly relate to what I'm saying are those who have been fortunate enough to share their life with one of these magnificent cats.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I wish I knew how much they would change my life. They amaze me; everyday it's something new one of them has done, whether something funny or not....:)

I wish I had known that I would have to kid-proof my house, many years after my own children were grown and gone.

I wish more people could have the opportunity to have their own Savannahs.

I wish I had found out about Savannahs earlier than I did, but maybe the timing was not right then. It sure is now!

admin

Paige
Staff member
And I'm laughing to myself now as Taj sits in front of my computer monitor and will not move...he wants to be near me and as many times as I put him down, he jumps back up...so now he stays and lays down in front of the monitor instead of blocking it, so i can work...and I let him :cool: