Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Tracking Collar (NOT GPS)

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I woke up this morning wondering what would happen if I lost Elsa... Savannahs seem to find some GREAT HIDING places.... In my mind I was thinking about a WIFI Collar that would interface to your home network and you could plot your house with all the rooms on your computer within a program, and anywhere the cat within range of your WIFI you would be able to find your cat. I was already thinking for writing a thesis for this to present to a GPS Cat Collar company when I came across something potentially better and I would like to get some opinions... It is not WIFI, but it is wireless and does not use GPS Either. It is a directional finder :)

Check it out at: http://www.loc8tor.com/primary-products/loc8tor-pet.html/

The unit is basically $100.00 bucks ($99.99) and thinking about giving it a try.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Do you know what the range is? I couldn't find it

Notice under the details:

Our directional capabilities - Loc8tor Pet tells you exactly where to walk to find your pet.
Audio & visual cues - Handset and Tag guide you to within 2.5cm / 1 inch.
Tags - Smallest and lightest of their kind. Only 5 grams
Great Range - Up to 122 metres / 400 feet (clear line of sight).
Ultra portable - Handset is the size of a credit card.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I sent a message to the company in regards to being water proof. On the website it states:

" Tag can be attached directly on to your Pets collar using the splashproof Tag cases provided."

The reply that I got back in regards to this was:

" Tag can be attached directly on to your Pets collar using the splashproof Tag cases provided."

I am going to try to research to find a way to make it water proof, as Savannah's have been known to jump into Bath Tubs, Toilets, and other sources of water. For $100, I am thinking of investing in one...

Alex and Katie

Savannah Super Cat
this would be great for around the house....less for the cats and more for my wallet and keys anything else that shines or makes noises and is easily picked up (aka toys). Outside im not so sure, 400 feet but with a clear line of sight. when houses and cars and such come into play it seems like you would have to be on top of the animal to be alerted

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
this would be great for around the house....less for the cats and more for my wallet and keys anything else that shines or makes noises and is easily picked up (aka toys). Outside im not so sure, 400 feet but with a clear line of sight. when houses and cars and such come into play it seems like you would have to be on top of the animal to be alerted

If you are a lucky enough to see him/her escape and disappear, at least the direction finding will sort of help you keep on track... A lot better chance than if you did not have it at all.... You may want to read the reviews... there is one in particular of a lady who had her cat to jump out of her car window, and went back 12 miles to find the cat... Still works out side... but of course, chances are better inside. It is worth $100.00 just for a little piece of mind...

Was just reading the specs and it says the unit weights 5 grams... I know 5 grams is not much, but really, how much is it... I found out THAT it is EXACTLY 2 Cents. Pick up 2 Pennies, and they weigh exactly 5 grams, or in English terms 0.15 ounces.

DSC_0009.JPG

cbain

Site Supporter
This looks like great product for the Savannah owner who has a door darter, this would give a savannah owner more than a football field and 360 degrees around even at night to find the spotted dart, our male has darting down to a fine art, he's in my avatar, see the lines above his eyes, they are racing stripes . you Savannah owners know what I mean. Thanks John, great info

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
This looks like great product for the Savannah owner who has a door darter, this would give a savannah owner more than a football field and 360 degrees around even at night to find the spotted dart, our male has darting down to a fine art, he's in my avatar, see the lines above his eyes, they are racing stripes . you Savannah owners know what I mean. Thanks John, great info

LOL, I am going to get one.. I will certainly review it and let everyone know how it works... As far as your cat... He looks like the type that can stow them ears and hit light speed in a split second..