Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Trip report...alittle late.

C

Coolcat

Things are getting back to normal so ive got some time to tell my tale.Day one stayed in Vegas-hated it.Day two driver picked up myself and another person who wanted to see hoover dam,so i saw that.Got to Arden Morleys ranch a beautiful place mountains all around.I met triton(cat i was picking up)the i met all the other cats in the house.I even befriended a cat that hated men and never makes contact with us guys but it loved me.I quicklie saw the time-effort-and dedication Arden and Chris Morley put in to the breeding of savannahs,bengals and the 200 rescue cats they lovingly care for.It was getting late so i hit the hay.Day three got up early to go with Mr Morley to get meat for the cats,got back to the ranch and took a walk in the desert...i loved it.The Morleys were very gracious hosts. We had steak and shrimp lunch then it was off to meet the servals and rescue cats.Arden took me on the tour... it was amazing,servals,geoffrey cats,bengals and a whole lotta rescue cats (i tried to pet everyone).Even got to meet Lady Delta Force the star savannah gracing the cover of 2012 Cats Usa magazine (what a honnor to have a cover).Then played with my cat and helped feed the cats.Had a lot of time talking to Arden and Chris,i told them it feels like i know both of you (de'ja vue)Spent the rest of the evening talking cats and cat care.I highly recomend this breeder to anyone looking for a well adjusted socialized kitten.And best of all, proceeds from savannah sales goes to support the no kill 200 cat rescue shelter.I felt very comfortable buying from the Morleys....who else would go out of thier way inviting a buyer into thier home ,let alone have the buyer stay a few days and feed them.My cat came with all shots needed till he's 1 year,a micro chip,a walking jacket,a very nice colman carrier that converts in to a bed when unziped,a book Arden had written,and other goodies.The trip home thru airport was a piece of cake no problems what so ever,cat was so well behaved i was asked if it was sedated i told them no just hand rasied by a very careing breeder.Now the fun starts this weds,triton get to check the house out and meet the other cats.

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
I never, ever, thought I'd see the day when you would have as good of a time anywhere but Jamaica! Wish I could have gone too!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
LOL! Definitely something if it rivals Jamaica ;-)

Just wanted to say that there ARE other breeders that go out of their way similarly, well at least I know I do. I don't have that many cats here (I do my rescue work coordinating the national (international) Savannah Rescue instead which probably takes up a similar amount of time just not the physical labor of that many cats, eek! Now I remember 9 years ago taking over feeding and cleaning the Morley's place for a day when Arden was too sick, and it was HARD, I can only imagine the work when you add all those rescued cats.

BUT, I do have kitten buyers stay at our house at times...I prefer not to ship (and have actually only shipped once, to Germany) so either I am taking a kitten to the new home or my buyers get a weekend in San Francisco, stay at our house and take home a cool souvenir of their trip like you did with Triton. And yes, going home fully vaccinated, microchipped and with personalized goodies is part of it.

True, most airline passengers can be shocked to find out at the end of the flight there was a kitten on board... and most seem to assume that they must have to be sedated. Although I remember Katie (my cat from Arden) was a little more of a spoiled brat on my return... she was so unhappy at being in the carrier she threw herself about and rolled the carrier across the floor at the gate while waiting for the flight! Was funny to see the other passengers' faces when the carrier came to life that way. they hadn't realized it was a cat carrier!

It's really nice to read an account of such a positive breeder experience, often people just don't take the time to share the positive stories but are very keen to publicize a negative experience. So very happy you took the time to share how it SHOULD go :)

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
I totally agree Brigitte! Way too much negativity in this world. So glad you had such a great experience, CC.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Sounds like an awesome experience...

I had a couple here from Europe who bought a kitten of mine and we spent four days together...it was a wonderful experience and they got to bond with my kitten and play with all the others as well as my cats...we went out to dinner and they stayed at my house during the day...and now I have friends for life and get to visit them in their country ;)

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Sounds like an awesome experience...

I had a couple here from Europe who bought a kitten of mine and we spent four days together...it was a wonderful experience and they got to bond with my kitten and play with all the others as well as my cats...we went out to dinner and they stayed at my house during the day...and now I have friends for life and get to visit them in their country ;)
It's amazing, the distance people will travel to find the perfect pet! I'm not sure what the quarantine laws are here, but if I wanted to move to Jamaica, I believe the quarantine period is several months. I wouldn't trust anyone to take good care of my babies; especially for that length of time. It really says a lot about a breeder, IMO, for someone to choose to deal with immigration in order to have a pet! :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thank you, Mrs. CC. There was a lot of paperwork that had to be done ahead of time, since there are many rules and regulations to follow. And because the kitten was a savannah, the US fish and Wildlife had to meet them at the airport, examine the 5 generation pedigree and make sure he was an F5 and later and not a serval or EG Savannah.

In addition, I had to drive all the way down to the NJ State veterinarian's office, after getting my vet to fill out the International Health Certificate, so the NJ State Vet could sign off on the paperwork. And then...in rushing around and all that comes with it (lots of stress), I got into a car accident, which kept my truck out of commission for 2 months...

But all in all, it was a wonderful experience...my kitten is doing well overseas and will hopefully have his own babies in the near future...oh and there was no quarantine by the EU country, just quarantining by the new owners ;)

Mrs. CC, I'm afraid you will never be able to take your cats to jamaica unless they were born/bred in the UK...see here: http://jhcottawa.ca/index.asp?sid=85802758&code=Import Permit for Dogs and Cats&m=1

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Well, I guess we won't be moving to Jamaica anytime soon! :roflmao:

I knew there would be a lot of work to breeding and selling, but I don't think I'd have the patience to deal with immigration. Thank God, you made it through that accident!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well, I guess we won't be moving to Jamaica anytime soon! :roflmao:

I knew there would be a lot of work to breeding and selling, but I don't think I'd have the patience to deal with immigration. Thank God, you made it through that accident!

it takes much patience and much work and I do not know that I would do it again...