Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Tritrichamonas (TF)

Glamouresque

Savannah Super Cat
I heard about grapefruit extracts.
I also saw the grapes as "non safe" for cats in a list of dangerous fruits and vegetables.
I had one cat who loves grapes (have to hide them) and was always throwing out after. I found out after about grapes and wasn't very surprised.

Better ask your vet first.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
UPDATE

So, I was finally able to submit a stool sample to Juliet's vet for a PCR wide spectrum test. The results are negative for Tritricomonas, which I find unfortunate, because if it were positive the medicine would have potentially cleared it up. The results did test positive for Clostridium and Corona virus. The vet said corona virus is common in cats, and Clostredium is normally found in dogs, the medicine for it however is daunting - 3 week course of horrible tasting medicine. He suggested we wait and see if she can outgrow it and/or try switching her chicken-based diet to rabbit or duck. He also said her high strung personality may be a cause for her inability to fight off these diseases, and to try to work with her to try and lower her stress level. So that's where we're at right now, I will continue perusing a treatment in any possible way for her, research etc. If anyone has any experience with the mentioned viruses, please let me know. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
I have also been told that Clostridium Perfringins can be found in cats and usually doesn't require treatment unless they are symptomatic.

AlphaZ

Savannah Adult
I heard about grapefruit extracts.
I also saw the grapes as "non safe" for cats in a list of dangerous fruits and vegetables.
I had one cat who loves grapes (have to hide them) and was always throwing out after. I found out after about grapes and wasn't very surprised.

Better ask your vet first.

Sorry my mistake, I meant to say Grapefruit Seed Extract

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
UPDATE

So, I was finally able to submit a stool sample to Juliet's vet for a PCR wide spectrum test. The results are negative for Tritrichomonas, which I find unfortunate, because if it were positive the medicine would have potentially cleared it up. The results did test positive for Clostridium and Corona virus. The vet said corona virus is common in cats, and Clostridium is normally found in dogs, the medicine for it however is daunting - 3 week course of horrible tasting medicine. He suggested we wait and see if she can outgrow it and/or try switching her chicken-based diet to rabbit or duck. He also said her high strung personality may be a cause for her inability to fight off these diseases, and to try to work with her to try and lower her stress level. So that's where we're at right now, I will continue perusing a treatment in any possible way for her, research etc. If anyone has any experience with the mentioned viruses, please let me know. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Just wondering, did your cat have loose stools (diarrhea) at the time or did you do what Dr Gookin has recommended about giving lactulose to stimulate loose stools to get the sample for the PCR test? Thought I'd check as it seems that cats can have false negatives if you don't do this. And I'd hate to rule this out if it was it. I understand your feelings as at least that is a clearly treatable issue.

Clostridium can be a tricky pathogen in cats, it can be there normally and simply overgrows if a cat is not healthy...so causes a problem but may not be the root cause of the problem. I agree with your vet's idea of trying a diet-based approach to see if that can help. And do you already add probiotics to her diet? Since dealing with my kitten's opposite issue (extreme constipation as a baby) I've also read a bit about "prebiotics" which are things like pumpkin and fiber that help the good bacteria in the gut to proliferate. Maybe also something like Prozyme that contains enzymes that aid digestion?

I think reducing her stress levels is probably a harder task, although I think getting her digestive tract happier will likely result in a happier more relaxed kitty too. Good luck!

AlphaZ

Savannah Adult
Hi Brigitte,
Sorry it took me so long to answer, but I've been trying some things, to see if we can work things out with Juliet. The way I brought on the diarrhea was the sure tried method of switching her food, one meal and she was Ms. Super Pooper. Although I realize there's a chance she may have TF, having a negative test and a constipated sister cat (Isis), I now think that chance is pretty slim. To bring her back to normal, for the past 3 weeks I have them back on their regular diet: raw ground chicken with probiotic enzyme, and Authority (PetSmart brand) Hairball formula dry food. The Authority dry really constipates Isis though, so it's a juggling act. Juliet has gone back to normal, although she still drips from time to time. I have been also giving her GSE (grapefruit seed extract) which is said to have high antimicrobial properties, not sure if it's helping, as I have only given it to her 3 times or so, but her coat seems to be healthier.
We will be leaving on a vacation for 3 weeks, and my sister in law will be watching the cats, which will give them a lot of quiet time. I'm really getting to the point of starting to consider placing her with someone else though, as much as it pains me, but if she needs super quiet atmosphere to thrive, than I have to do whats best for her.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm sorry to hear you want to place her, obviously placing a cat that has ongoing issues like this is a hard task not to mention how hard it will be for her to be separated from her sister cat and human :-(

Have you already tried the treatment for the Clostridium though? If the diet is not managing it, I think I would try that.

I've not read anything on GSE and cats to know how useful that is with this issue.

AlphaZ

Savannah Adult
Well, I have some good news. Juliet has been progressively getting better. After leaving on our 3 week vacation, and them living quietly at their own pace for a while, her digestion improved significantly.

My sister-in-law came by every other day to feed and clean their room and litter box, other than that they were on their own. Apparently it's loud noises and "big people" activity that she's really sensitive to, which I knew, but didn't realize that it had such a serious effect on her.

Now that we know, we've been taking all the necessary precautions and it's working. They are turning 1 year old next week. I feel so guilty for not finding out sooner, it's something so simple. On the other hand I'm so relieved that everything has been sorted out.

Hope this discovery can help someone in a similar situation. Cats, like people, have unique personalities and quirks, they're not all the same, and it's important to understand their characteristics, and accept them for who they are, instead of trying to mold them into the "ideal cat".

admin

Paige
Staff member
That is awesome! Thanks for letting us know...glad you were able to get to the bottom of things...and Patti is right...i wish our cats could talk.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sean

Site Supporter
I just happened to read this.
Both of my boys had Tritrichamonas as kittens. Very sick little boys Breeder had an idea
what the problem was and was able to get then tested for it. When they were old enought
they were medicated and retested a few weeks later and both had cleared. The breeder
traced it back to a new cat that they had in there program. So lots of testing.
Both are now just over two years and full of happy cat and they now also have a new
sister that they love. She will be three this Feb. and she is a F1 the boys are F7.
The only time I had a problem was when they first got here and the food I had picked
up was the wrong stuff. Big mess. Switched to what they were used to and cleared right up.

So 3 happy cats and human servant
Sean