Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Tritrichamonas (TF)

django

Savannah Super Cat
Does anyone have a vet in Orange County area who has successfully diagnosed and treated TriTrich? I read the entire PDF from Dr. Gookin and sent it to my vet but he's still trying to have me take my own fecal sample for the PCR which she states is not very accurate. In addition he's trying to charge $300 for the test. Any help would be appreciated.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Unfortunately the one I saw during a quick look that has expertise with Tritrich is in Florida.

I wonder if you could call them to see if they know someone in your area you could go to who either knows the stuff or could team with them to handle things?

DChap

Site Supporter
Our vet in Fountain Valley, CA diagnosed Tritrich by a PCR test (which I requested) and treated Tojo successfully. I did collect and take in a fresh fecal sample from his litter box for it though.

T

The Kasbah

So here's our story (I'll try to keep it short and to the point):
Juliet and Isis (F3) 9 month old litter mates, came home with me at 10 weeks of age. From the get go they were tested positive for coccidia, which after the normal course of albon was cleared by the Vet. However Juliet's problems persisted. Her personality didn't help either, she's very shy and sensitive, jumping at the slightest noise and spooked by her own shadow, her sister Isis is the complete opposite - limelight queen, outgoing and in-your-face type. So, that, coupled with what I now realize to possibly be constant discomfort and stomach cramps of Tritrichamonas, and unintended anal leakage, has been really hard on her.

After the initial course of albon cleared her up she was regular for maybe a month, and then we left on a 3 day vacation. Although they were cared for by my dad while we were away, the stress of us being gone made Juliet's problems come back with a vengeance. After a week of poo that turned to baby food consistency slimy diarrhea with blood in it I took her to another vet, because the first one was ridiculously expensive and completely apathetic to her problems, dismissing it as something she'll grow out of, "because it's just a sphincter incontinence due to earlier bouts with diarrhea."

The next vet wasn't any better, after yet another painfully stressful exam for poor Juliet, the vet said she'll just give her a 10 day course of Flagyl, which seemed to firm her up a bit, only to get so much worse once she was off of it. I took a sample 2 weeks later, and was told she was all clear. However, the problem was still there!

I'm big on natural methods for... well everything, for my self and my family, so I aggressively began to "treat" her myself, because I was tired of spending hundreds of dollars and not arriving at a definitive answer. I put them on a strict raw chicken and high fiber dry food diet, with a weekly dose of pro-biotic and enzymes. As a result her stools firmed up significantly, in fact it's almost the same as Isis', although the smell has me running and cleaning her litter box as soon as she goes. She still drips when she plays, and from time to time seems to be in pain, she'll crouch in a semi-curled up pose, that looks as if she's about to pounce or run away.The worst thing is, she's so smart that when she realizes she "dripped" she feels guilty and gets really worked up about it.

I feel horrible, because it's my responsibility to care for her and give her what she cannot get from nature (because obviously she's not allowed outside). I also think her anxiety will lessen if she can get rid of whatever is ailing her, because she's so beautiful and incredibly smart, and my intention was to breed her. But at this point I'm just looking for answers.
Wow, this is super unfortunate. I am sorry for you and for the kitten to have to endure what appears to be months of stress and discomfort.

My recommendation is a fecal PCR test, which should be collect by your Veterinarian via use of a fecal "loop"...NOT collected by you and delivered to the Vet Clinic hours later for processing! You want to assure that you are providing the lab with a fresh sample and thereby allowing them the best chance possible of determining cause.

I am not sure why you suspect Tri Trich...but there are other culprits that must be considered as well.

Albon and Flagyl do help with Coccidia and Giardia, but are NOT effective in the treatment of Champlobachter for example, which is also a likely culprit, based on your description of symptoms. culprits. Camphlobachter can be effectively treated with Doxycycline...which is a tablet (or liquid that you can obtain from a compounding pharmacy, like Wedgewood, who will ship to you). Dosage is by weight and should be give 2x daily for a two week period. I strongly recommend DAILY probiotic administration DURING the course of treatment as well, as the Doxy is going to destroy the good flora contained in the intestinal tract, which will only confuse the situation as without the good flora, the cat may still appear symptomatic, when in fact, the issue HAS been resolved, but due to the good flora, the cat will still be exhibiting loose stools. Therefore, increase the probiotic and get down to treating with the Doxy.

It does seem wise to invest in the PCR test and determine WHAT is causing this problem so that you can administer the PROPER medication and get your baby "over the hump" once and for all.

Wishing you all best in your treatment efforts.

django

Savannah Super Cat
Wow, this is super unfortunate. I am sorry for you and for the kitten to have to endure what appears to be months of stress and discomfort.

My recommendation is a fecal PCR test, which should be collect by your Veterinarian via use of a fecal "loop"...NOT collected by you and delivered to the Vet Clinic hours later for processing! You want to assure that you are providing the lab with a fresh sample and thereby allowing them the best chance possible of determining cause.

I am not sure why you suspect Tri Trich...but there are other culprits that must be considered as well.

Albon and Flagyl do help with Coccidia and Giardia, but are NOT effective in the treatment of Champlobachter for example, which is also a likely culprit, based on your description of symptoms. culprits. Camphlobachter can be effectively treated with Doxycycline...which is a tablet (or liquid that you can obtain from a compounding pharmacy, like Wedgewood, who will ship to you). Dosage is by weight and should be give 2x daily for a two week period. I strongly recommend DAILY probiotic administration DURING the course of treatment as well, as the Doxy is going to destroy the good flora contained in the intestinal tract, which will only confuse the situation as without the good flora, the cat may still appear symptomatic, when in fact, the issue HAS been resolved, but due to the good flora, the cat will still be exhibiting loose stools. Therefore, increase the probiotic and get down to treating with the Doxy.

It does seem wise to invest in the PCR test and determine WHAT is causing this problem so that you can administer the PROPER medication and get your baby "over the hump" once and for all.

Wishing you all best in your treatment efforts.

Cynthia,

I've gone to two different vets near me and based on my cats symptoms I thought it might be tritrich. I told both vets I had done some research and asked them to do a PCR and take the sample with a fecal loop and both said no and that I needed to bring in a sample. I'm so confused at this point and left one without doing the PCR, and finally brought in a sample to the other. He said he has treated tritrich recently and was successful. We are running the full PCR panel and he currently has him on Flagyl and eating baby food and probiotics (which he hasn't really touched so far, this is day 1)

T

The Kasbah

Cynthia,

I've gone to two different vets near me and based on my cats symptoms I thought it might be tritrich. I told both vets I had done some research and asked them to do a PCR and take the sample with a fecal loop and both said no and that I needed to bring in a sample. I'm so confused at this point and left one without doing the PCR, and finally brought in a sample to the other. He said he has treated tritrich recently and was successful. We are running the full PCR panel and he currently has him on Flagyl and eating baby food and probiotics (which he hasn't really touched so far, this is day 1)
Geeeeeeeeeeeee. Can't understand why they would not want a fresh sample! Maddening for you!!! The good news is that you got the ball rolling...and hopefully will be getting some answers soon! Please keep us informed and once you have the PCR results, we can discuss your treatment protocol in greater detail.

I've never had TriTrich, but have some experience with Coccidia, Giarrdia and Champlobachter of all things...so if my experience is relevant, I'm happy to share.

Wishing you the best of luck with the testing, treatment and some relief!!!

All best,

django

Savannah Super Cat
Geeeeeeeeeeeee. Can't understand why they would not want a fresh sample! Maddening for you!!! The good news is that you got the ball rolling...and hopefully will be getting some answers soon! Please keep us informed and once you have the PCR results, we can discuss your treatment protocol in greater detail.

I've never had TriTrich, but have some experience with Coccidia, Giarrdia and Champlobachter of all things...so if my experience is relevant, I'm happy to share.

Wishing you the best of luck with the testing, treatment and some relief!!!

All best,

Thanks Cynthia. Will do. Do you have any suggestion for a good food while we are waiting on test results? The vet suggested gerber plain chicken baby food but he scoffs his nose at it and wont touch it. I even tried mixing in some of a cat food can but he still won't eat it. I ended up giving him a little bit of royal canin kitten which I had left over from the when we got him from the breeder. He normally eats Fromm cans and Fromm dry but it's too rich while he's leaking and has diarrhea until we find out what it is. Thanks.