Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Tritrichamonas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Paige
Staff member
new update.. After waiting during the weekend while the vet and pharmacy were closed, I wasted 2 hours this morning driving in and out of Seattle now that the meds were ready for pickup. Only to find out the compounding pharmacy made liquid instead of tablets and now they have to redo it.. I SPECIFICALLY asked for tablets, because last time we did liquid meds with chicken flavor even, Keljin learned to drool and spit it all out. Since I have to be super careful and accurate with the Ronidazole dosage, I don't want to risk giving Keljin too much or too little if he is spitting out and needing more.

So, now I have to wait another day or two to go back again for it once they re make it... yay
Sorry you are having so much trouble, Breanna! Did you get the meds finally?

K

Kronos

Lori, this is NOT the same case...Breanna is the one with the kitten from another litter...Alisha's kitten did not have symptoms of TriTrich. Breanna's did.
Let me clarify everything. Kronos played with Keljin before we realized he could have tritrich. Kronos started having his diarrhea symptoms after that... foul smelling cow pies with blood in it. Seems to be getting better now after finishing his 3rd round of metronidazole. Still a little runny at the end of the poop, but no more blood and no more cow pies.

From my understanding Keljin still leaks from time to time and definitely should be treated. I still wonder if I should or not because Kronos and Keljin did come into contact with each other for a couple hours when they were much younger. Our kittens are not from the same litter. Keljin has a litter mate that tested positive from tritrich.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Let me clarify everything. Kronos played with Keljin before we realized he could have tritrich. Kronos started having his diarrhea symptoms after that... foul smelling cow pies with blood in it. Seems to be getting better now after finishing his 3rd round of metronidazole. Still a little runny at the end of the poop, but no more blood and no more cow pies.

From my understanding Keljin still leaks from time to time and definitely should be treated. I still wonder if I should or not because Kronos and Keljin did come into contact with each other for a couple hours when they were much younger. Our kittens are not from the same litter. Keljin has a litter mate that tested positive from tritrich.
Thanks for clarifying, Alisha! If his test was negative and he did not share a litterbox with Kelgin, I would not, but it is up to you. Your vet did a very thorough testing with the fecal loop...Ultimately it is your decision. have you spoken to your vet about it?

B

Breheart

Sorry you are having so much trouble, Breanna! Did you get the meds finally?
Yes! Meds finally came in the mail yesterday. About 3 hours after his first pill he got instant diarrhea and drips! Hopefully its a sign that it is working and that its all coming out now. Behavior wise he is walking and acting normal, will continue watching him carefully :) Just about to go give him his dose for today. He LOVES the roasted duck and pea pill pockets! He gobbles them up with no care of the pill inside hehehe..

admin

Paige
Staff member
Glad to hear you got the meds, Breanna! Taj loves those pill pockets as well! let us know how Kelgin is doing and hopefully the meds will do the trick with minimal or no side effects.

Per Lausund

Staff member
I'm getting confused here!
I would have thought that a cat testing negative on pcr should not have treatment against something it in all probability doesn't have, while a cat diagnosed as positive should together with the cats it lshares house with. And a pcr on a symptomatic cat would show if anything was to be found, they are quite sensitive (at least the ones I run are, though they're for bacterial pathogens). A week after treatment, when you have recurring symptoms, should be ok.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
I had a rescue Aby that came from a breeder raid. She had giardia, coccidia and tritrich. We thought we had it nailed treating the first two, and then she infected my other two cats. I had to do a repeat treatment of ronidazole for all three and keep them isolated from one another for almost three weeks. It was horrid.

I would absolutely treat with ronidazole again. I can't imagine the distress and pain that kind of diarrhea would cause, nevermind the health issues. Tritrich also stinks to high heaven, and everytime Elsa pooped, I thought about burning down the house and moving out of state.

It's your cat, but I think it's better to have a treated cat who may remain a carrier than a cat suffering like that.

My two cents....

Melissa
I think Paige answered that way because the test for TF came back negative- don't treat what is not there.

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
I'm getting confused here!
I would have thought that a cat testing negative on pcr should not have treatment against something it in all probability doesn't have, while a cat diagnosed as positive should together with the cats it lshares house with. And a pcr on a symptomatic cat would show if anything was to be found, they are quite sensitive (at least the ones I run are, though they're for bacterial pathogens). A week after treatment, when you have recurring symptoms, should be ok.
You may have Tinkerbell confused with another cat. Tink had the foul odor from the day we got her & the cow pie stools. When I first heard about T.F. I thought she might have it. I researched it & when she had a cow pie stool , I got an appointment that afternoon with a vet familiar with it. I showed the vet the picture. A stool sample was put on a slide with saline and examined under a microscope and about 12 parasites could be seen swimming around. She was treated with the compound drug for 17 days, twice a day. We waited one month. We went back to the vet and this time the sample was negative when it was examined under the microscope. We have not seen any cow pie stools in 7 months. Sue

admin

Paige
Staff member
What is happening here is that there are 13 pages of threads and 3 different cats. Breanna's kitten has TriTrich and will be treated. Alish'a (Kronos) kitten played with breanna's kitten so she thought Kronos may have TriTrich, but the PCR came back negative and now there is Sue's cat.

So maybe we should end this TriTrich thread and start another so everyone does not continue to be confused and give the wrong advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.