Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Trying to figure out right cat for me

Jessica

Savannah Kitten
I just lost my male bengal cat. Now I have 2 senior girls - one tuxedo and one bengal. My bengals were adopted from humane society at 11mnths. My male bengal was cuddly and loving, but super outgoing. He loved everyone, not shy at all. Even with kids. He went places on a leash and would walk right up to everyone. He also barely shed. A few brushes with ferminator and he was done. My females even the bengal shed a good amount.

I am not ready now. But, one day I will want another cat. I know I cannot replace him. However, I would want a cat with some of his traits. Loveable, outgoing, able to go places on leash, and low shedding. I love the energy too until he got sick.

Just wondering from people here if another bengal would fit or possibly a savannah. His outgoing behavior is really what I miss. Second, his coat that barely shed. It seems from reading online the savannahs may tend to be more outgoing due to serval. Also, is it true savannahs are lower shedding?

Also, is the outgoing behavior something you can know how the cat will be when they are kitten? Is how much a cat wjll shed also something you can know from kitten or parents?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Welcome Jessica and I am so sorry for your loss...most of us here know how you feel.

My savannahs barely shed, but I think it depends on the outcrosses used...my kittens are extremely social, love to be held and cuddled and are very outgoing. Some here have met them in person and my kittens buyers have attested to how social they are.

However, I remember my two adult savannahs as kittens were cuddly and loved to be held and now neither does...but I did not raise them, so it will be interesting to see how my kittens behave as adults.

Not sure I have been very helpful, but I'm sure others will chime in here. many savannah cats just do not like to be held...mine all fetch and walk on leashes as well.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Jessica, and I am very sorry to hear about your Bengal boy...he sounds like he was very loved.

Paige has given you good advice concerning the shedding capabilities of SV's. Mine don't shed much at all, compared to my Oci boy.

I also agree that a kitten may be super cuddly as a youngster, but as adults are friendly but not too fond of being held. Most of mine do love to snuggle and be held like babies....even my stud boys :)

Jessica

Savannah Kitten
This is very helpful. My male did not like being held. He dealt with it is a good way to put it. I could pick him up and carry him to another room, etc. He did sit by me or next to me while I would watch tv, so does female. I guess my issue with my girl bengal is that she is not family pet. She only loves me. Ok for me, not for my 12 yr old stepdaughter. I kind of thought if savannahs are more outgoing, that would be less of issue.

Is it types of food or just quality? Can you provide good wet/dry food for less shedding? Or does it need to be raw diet?

B

Bravo 6

This is very helpful. My male did not like being held. He dealt with it is a good way to put it. I could pick him up and carry him to another room, etc. He did sit by me or next to me while I would watch tv, so does female. I guess my issue with my girl bengal is that she is not family pet. She only loves me. Ok for me, not for my 12 yr old stepdaughter. I kind of thought if savannahs are more outgoing, that would be less of issue.

Is it types of food or just quality? Can you provide good wet/dry food for less shedding? Or does it need to be raw diet?

Hi Jessica.
I had a F3 Bengal along time ago. He acted like a F1, very aloof and a real problem when we had to go to the vet! Now to answer your question, SV's are very diferrent dependent upon which generation you are considering. Do you want a SBT?? A F5? or a F2? Also, most SV's don't like to be held. They will come to you when they want but on the flipside they can love you more than any domestic cat! Personally I like the F2's, they are close enough to the Servil with the intelligence and positive traits without some of the issues that you may have with an F1. That being said, I love F1's but you need to prepare a bit more and spend more time and get real educated and aware with what you are getting into with a F1! As far as outgoing, usually yes.. Again very dependant upon the generation, I've never has a F1 jump into my lap or head butt me at the 1st encounter, and they tend to bond more to a person or sometimes a family and be wary of strangers, ofcourse this can also be true of F2's, it really gets down to your cats personality and socialization that you give it.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Of course a balanced raw diet is optimum, but high-quality no grain wet and dry food might help as well.

Jessica

Savannah Kitten
I'm starting to think like bravo said that a lot may have to do with socialization.

Unfortunately, my bengal female Bindi is not doing too good. After a hour and half of playing each day, she still seems to have a lot of energy and she is starting to cause troubles with my other cat who isn't a very willing playmate. I guess I didn't realize before how much she played with my male who passed away, but it probably added up to a few hours a day. As a result, I'm think my search for a kitten may be coming sooner then later.

When looking at savannahs, F1 and F2 are very beautiful, but a handful based on what I have read. Plus, their size if I got a male would be daunting over my 10lb bengal female. So, I would probably be looking more towards F3 to SBT.

Amanda

Savannah Super Cat
Jessica, I have two F2 kittens who are just shy of six months old. I was lucky in that my breeder spent a lot of time socializing them, and they are very loyal to my husband and me. They are also quite social with guests, and they graciously accept any offer to play with a feather toy, regardless of the source. They each weigh approximately 10 pounds now. They are also VERY active -- I would estimate they play very hard for about four hours each day in between nap times. This might ease up as they get older, but they need a lot of stimulation and exercise. F2s are a wonderful experience (although I've never had an F1 or an F3+, so this is my own specific bias). Just know that they take a lot of time to keep them social and happy. They are also very willful -- not much distracts them from something they want, and I think I've heard them laugh at me when I've put them in time out before for creating beautiful (in their minds) toilet paper sculptures.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm not sure they would understand that time out really... and yes, in their minds they've had a lot of fun and then they have a dull timeout for whatever reason. Unless you are getting them right when they are shredding chances are they don't connect the two things. And I highly doubt it will stop them doing that again, its too much fun! Better to find ways to shut the toilet paper up so that they cannot access it. Here I have found using this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/14380185/ has stopped the problem...when they can't unroll the toilet paper they lose interest. At first there were a few holes torn out of the roll on the underside but not nearly as amusing as before...so they found other amusements. Others shut in a drawer or cupboard near the toilet to keep it out of range. As a guest of such homes, one sits on the toilet and plays "where might the toilet paper be hidden!"

Jessica, I honestly don't think size is so much of a concern... my most dominant cat in my household of 8 is the smallest of the Savannahs. They most definitely can hold their own if they wish. It is more a matter of their personality, if your Bindi is an assertive kitty she will do fine even if the Savannah you get is a big one. Size can come at any generation in any case, the F5 boy I placed this year was 18lbs at a year old yet my F2 male here is 13-14 lbs (depending on the time of year).