Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Tummy problems.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
So for the last 3 days Kovu has been having some tummy troubles.

I noticed he didn't eat breakfast Sunday morning & thought maybe he just wasn't in the mood, or that he was getting tired of venison and needed a mix up in diet. So I got him some rabbit, which he usually LOVES and he's hardly touched that either.

Then we noticed that what little he is eating, he is throwing up. He is on a raw diet & the food is not past the expiration date, nor is it left out too long. He's not throwing up hair balls, it is very obvious that it is his raw food.

The vet cant see him until tomorrow afternoon, but I thought I'd ask here & see if anyone could have an idea as to what it could be. I'm hoping its just an upset tummy. :/ It just worries me that he isn't eating. He is obviously a big boy and used to eating his food. I've heard that the "oh he'll eat when he is hungry" thing can be dangerous for over weight cats. So I hope he is okay. :/

Btw-judging by his litter box, he is peeing and pooping just fine.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Ashley have you tried cooking him some chicken?
No, because I don't have any. lol But I'm going to the grocery store anyway so I'll pick some up. When we first got him his breeder said that baby food chicken was good for upset tummies. I had some organic chicken baby food (no veggies or other meat, just chicken) & put it out for him last night & he wouldn't touch it. I'll try cooking him some chicken tonight tho.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
In the interim, you can also give him 1/2 a Pepcid tablet to see if that settles his stomach a bit.
Thanks, I'll try that. Elijah & I have just gotten over a stomach bug that we had for a week and a half & then Kovu gets sick. I'm sure tired of cleaning this mess up!! We've been cleaning the house & washing hands & disinfecting stuff like crazy.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Are you sure it was a stomach bug and not salmonella or some other food borne icky thing? Maybe you all have the same bug?

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Are you sure it was a stomach bug and not salmonella or some other food borne icky thing? Maybe you all have the same bug?
Possibly? Maybe TMI but Elijah & I just had the runs, Kovu's poop is okay, its the throwing up & hardly eating anything. I'll mention it to the vet tomorrow tho that Elijah & I were sick as well & see if they'll run some tests on Kovu, just to make sure. Glenn is the only one that hasn't been sick. Lucky dude.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
It is likely unrelated to the kids illnesses but there is always that possibility. Always rule out the obvious- things he could have eaten, feathers, strings, those horrible little jiggly rubber snakes, rubberbands, even house plants that are toxic can cause vomiting or a lack of appetite. Stinky cat food works for a lot of cats like that really cheap stuff called Figaro made of fish. I have heard that vets used to keep it on hand for cats that won't eat. If he won't eat the tempting stuff than assume he is quite sick! :(

DChap

Site Supporter
It is likely unrelated to the kids illnesses but there is always that possibility. Always rule out the obvious- things he could have eaten, feathers, strings, those horrible little jiggly rubber snakes, rubberbands, even house plants that are toxic can cause vomiting or a lack of appetite. Stinky cat food works for a lot of cats like that really cheap stuff called Figaro made of fish. I have heard that vets used to keep it on hand for cats that won't eat. If he won't eat the tempting stuff than assume he is quite sick! :(

When Tojo had swallowed part of a toy his eating slowed down but toilet habits were normal. He started vomiting a little but it was so vague. Try to be sure Kovu hasn't swallowed something.