Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Unsure of generation to purchase

SBT f1 etc.... I understand the different generations but am unsure of where to start. Price isn't really an issue. Under 10k...I realize they are pricey.

I have kids, dog(s) in the house. I want the kitten to bond with me mainly.

Then...male or female?

Do you pick the cat or does the cat pick you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's a little bit of both...

I had a horrible time picking my first SV- I talked to about 2 dozen breeders, found a girl I really liked, but couldn't work my finances around her at the time (I was looking at taking out a small loan for that one girl- LOL).

Then I saw a pic of this F1 boy and I HAD to have him. And you know- he worked a lot better with my finances than the girl I was trying to force into my budget. I think he picked me and I picked him- personally.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Could you elaborate on how to properly introduce your savannah to your dogs? Just in case I have a dog when I decide to get a savnnah.
Introducing a dog will be an individual thing, depending upon the breed and personality of the dog as well as the personality of the kitten, and whether either of them has been around the other species growing up. There was a thread posted here not too long ago discussing this, maybe you will find something useful in it:
http://www.savannahcatchat.com/threads/bringing-a-puppy-into-the-mix.3688/#post-56400

As a rule, you want to make sure both dog and cat are protected from each other when they first meet (either the dog or cat crated) and see how they interact. If you have a screen door that you can put them on either side of to check each other out, that can work as well. Once you get to the place where they are in the same room unconfined make sure there is plenty of vertical space for the cat to escape to if he/she feels the need. Sometimes dogs just can't overcome their prey instinct - I had an Australian Shepherd that it took literally years of working with before he finally stopped chasing the cats at every opportunity, but in the end they were sleeping together on the bed at night.

DocMac

Site Supporter
It seems like when my kittens come out into the regular household after their vaccinations, they are just naturally curious about our dogs, a Pomeranian and a Papillion. It begins by watching from a high surface. Then, a closer inspection when the dog is napping and unaware begins a familiarity process. It all culminates by play (targets ending in chase) or proximity ease or friendship.

Josie
River Ridge Savannahs
West Virginia