Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uri??

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Just a lot of green snot whenever he sneezes. I am taking him to get his lost set of shots Tuesday. The first time I took him to get a check up after I got him the vet took his temp and it was dangerously high but has since then gone down to normal and he occasionally still does the gagging thing. I was thinking maybe he's doing it a lot because of the air conditioner and the cold? It's usually around 67-70 in my place. Whenever I shower I always take him in the bathroom with me so the humidity will help him breath better
If his secretions are green it is most likely a bacterial infection. Clavamox is usually one of the first antibiotics given, but many of the common URIs are treated with doxycycline. As Brigitte has suggested, the most direct way to get an answer is to run a URD PCR panel on him, otherwise you may end up going through several different antibiotics trying to find the right one to treat his illness. URDs may seem like a minor problem but left untreated (or under treated) they can eventually lead to erosion of the nasal cavities and a chronic respiratory condition.

ammcelhaney

Savannah Super Cat
ok thank you I will suggest that to the vet on Tuesday... my vet is an older man, but is very reputable in the area. Whenever I brought Oakley in for the first time none of the workers there have heard of a savannah cat:cautious: so needless to say I feel a little sketchy taking the little guy there now lol. But I am definitely going to suggest the urd pcr panel so hopefully I can get the correct medicine instead of wasting money on stuff that doesn't seem to help

Hello all! I wanted to get some thoughts and opinions from you all on what my poor Oakley might have :( He is almost 15 weeks old, and I've had him for almost a month now. The place where I got him, to say the least, wasn't up to my expectations.. but the kittens and adult cats were all fed very well and seemed to be very healthy so I didn't think much else of it. Well Oakley's been sneezing NONSTOP with a ton of nasal discharge. At first he wasn't sneezing.. but doing this coughing/gagging type thing like he had a hairball. It sounded terrible like he was going to throw up but it would only last a minute, if that, and then he would go back to playing. Well I took him to he vet whenever I got him and he said it's likely that he has a upper respiratory infection and gave him some shots and antibiotics. The coughing/gagging stopped and now he's just non stop sneezing. It just recently started and I've been doing some research online and all of the answers point to feline herpes :( He does go back to the vet on Tuesday, but I figured till then I would ask for your opinions on what you think it is.. or if any of your babies have had this? Thanks!

Also! Oakley is eating, drinking, and using the bathroom all on a regular basis so that isn't of any concern. He's playful as can be and his sickness doesn't seem to bother him.

It's sad to hear about your little man. I have the same problem with my kitty, Leonitis. He's nine months now, but his case started out just like yours. He came to me seemingly very healthy, but he's had every little sniffle you could imagine. At the present, he does the coughing/gagging thing and he has the worst chronically stuffy nose and he sneezes constantly.

We've taken him to the vet countless times and spend at least $1600 having him evaluated, but to no avail. I give him lysine every day; I've tried different litters (just in case he was reacting to that); I've tried different diets; a number of different antibiotics; x-rays and lab tests, you name it. The only thing that did give him temporary relief was a short course of prednisone. I follow him around the house most of the day wiping his nose, even though he does it himself, but I'm not sure what to think or do.

ammcelhaney

Savannah Super Cat
:( That's sad to hear. My Oakley recently went to the vet a few days ago and was given some shots and some more amoxicillin. It seems to be helping.. as it did before when he was given the same shots and medicine. It's really odd though because he is using the bathroom, eating, drinking, playing normally and his weight and everything is right where it should be. He just gets these episodes of this gagging type thing and sneezes. I always take him in the bathroom with me when I shower and steam it up and even take him outside for a few whenever it's humid and that doesn't seem to relieve his congestion either. I also noticed that whenever I pick him up sometimes he starts doing that gagging thing so it must have to do with his lungs. If he doesn't seem better in a few weeks I'm taking him to another vet to get a second opinion.

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
Just a lot of green snot whenever he sneezes. I am taking him to get his lost set of shots Tuesday. The first time I took him to get a check up after I got him the vet took his temp and it was dangerously high but has since then gone down to normal and he occasionally still does the gagging thing. I was thinking maybe he's doing it a lot because of the air conditioner and the cold? It's usually around 67-70 in my place. Whenever I shower I always take him in the bathroom with me so the humidity will help him breath better

If what is coming out is green, he still has a URI and may need a longer term treatment of antibiotics or a different kind to kick this out of his system. Unfortunately, URIs often manifest after trips to the vet or shipping. It's like a kid getting a cold when they go back to school. It happens, as much as we wish there was a sure fire way to prevent it.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
If it is a mycoplasma, nomal antibiotics won't do much. My vet always hits it with Clavamox which is safe. If there is no response, then you may want to do a respiratory PCR that will help to see how to treat it best.

ammcelhaney

Savannah Super Cat
He tried Clavamox before and it didn't seem to do anything either :( I'm hoping it's just a uri and that the pcr will work and that it's not something serious

ammcelhaney

Savannah Super Cat
Well the sneezing and gagging/coughing as slowed down a ton since he got on the meds last Tuesday. The vet gave me two bottles of Amoxicillon so I'm hoping the longer he is on it the more it will help kill the virus!