Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Vaccine Education and Information

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
We've had a few discussions about when to vaccinate, which vaccines to give, and whether killed or modified live vaccines are most effective. In addition, we've also had discussions about the debate regarding regular vaccination schedules vs no vaccines after 1 yr of age. In an effort to keep all of the good information we share in one place, let's use this sticky to post information and discussion about this topic. The purpose is to provide information so everyone can make informed decisions about what is appropriate for their cat.

I'd like to kick it off by providing this link http://www.catinfo.org/?link=vaccines to what I think is an informative and thought provoking piece by, IMHO, one of the leading minds in cat nutrition and health.

piplove2829

Savannah Adult
So exactly what vaccines would u recommend for a savannah and not recommend for one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Below is the link to the 2013 American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) vaccination guidelines for felines. In Table 2 on page 790 you will see the recommendations for pets (shelters and breeders have different recommendations). I do not normally give FeLV for indoor only cats, nor do I give rabies because it is not a state requirement where I live. There has been an ongoing debate over killed vs. modified live virus vaccines, I think at this point we have identified pros and cons of each and it is personal choice (I personally use killed but has given modified live to my later generation [e.g., f4 or later] cats).
http://jfm.sagepub.com/content/15/9/785.full.pdf+html

grizzlybear50

Site Supporter
Hi All-

Not to get on my soap box, but after going through a devastating loss of my little bro a few months back I just wanted to share some advice:

Find a good vet in your area and TEST FOR FeLV/FIV REGULARLY! The pain, illness, and suffering it can cause your little friends is a small reminder of being prophylactic. It will save your cat and save you from pain and suffering that doesn't seem to every really go away.

Don't buy a kitten without seeing those test results and proof of some form of vaccination, but also for the kittens sake push the breeders to take those steps immediately. The lucrative nature of breeding Savannah's has invited several breeders who may have forgotten their love for animals, or never had it to begin with.

Wishing you and your awesome friends the best and a happy holiday season!

grizzlybear50

Site Supporter
Why exactly would a pet owner test their indoor pets repeatedly for felv/fiv?

Does being an indoor pet preclude a cat from interaction with other cats or kittens?

Repeatedly is not the same as regularly.

Savannah owners also sometimes leash train their cats and/or allow them to roam an outdoor enclosure.

These are three reasons why assuming your cat isn't positive for FeLV because your breeder said so might not suffice and periodic testing might be benefiicial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trish Allearz

Yes, being an indoor pet would preclude a cat being exposed to outdoor cats.

And going outside on leash, a responsible owner would not permit blood contact with a stray or an outdoor cat. Common sense.

I've been a vet tech, worked rescue for about 20 years now and no vet has ever ever suggested multiple felv/fiv testing of healthy animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

admin

Paige
Staff member
Herman, I understand that you lost your kitten/cat and are very upset and I am so sorry for your loss...

I really don't understand your post though...I don't know what you are talking about as far as the lucrative nature of breeding savannah cats...I have seen no such lucrative monetary return as a breeder...only lucrative love return...

I am assuming you have an issue with your baby's breeder, but you cannot paint all breeders with such a broad brush...

grizzlybear50

Site Supporter
Yes, being an indoor pet would preclude a cat being exposed to outdoor cats.

And going outside on leash, a responsible owner would not permit blood contact with a stray or an outdoor cat. Common sense.

I've been a vet tech, worked rescue for about 20 years now and no vet has ever ever suggested multiple felv/fiv testing of healthy animals.

So in your extensive experience you've never encountered an indoor cat that was infected?

And they didn't recommend the testing of a healthy cat because the cat was deemed healthy.
Herman, I understand that you lost your kitten/cat and are very upset and I am so sorry for your loss...

I really don't understand your post though...I don't know what you are talking about as far as the lucrative nature of breeding savannah cats...I have seen no such lucrative monetary return as a breeder...only lucrative love return...

I am assuming you have an issue with your baby's breeder, but you cannot paint all breeders with such a broad brush...

Several is not the same as all. I didn't paint all bfeeders with any sort of brush.

Someone with malicious intent that sees they can fetch thousands if not tens for a high percentage kitten might very well put their financial gains ahead of the kittens.

My post was intended to bond and share with a community that cares about their pets, not an attack on "all breeders" or a vet tech's experience.

My cat died from lymphoma, of which FeLV is often an underlying factor. I'm not certain if FeLV was even involved.

And I have no issues with my breeder because I'm a trusting person like many others, but after seeing hundreds of "breeders" online, I have a strong feeling they aren't all worthy of that trust.

As for the ability for a cat to contract the infection, I think it's obvious you're not inviting alley cats over for play dates, but there are circumstance under which an indoor cat can contract the illness, even for those with no common sense it doesn't mean they can't be proactive about their cat's health.

And I'm fully aware of the carcinogenic impacts of repeated vaccinations in the same region.

I didn't make this post to argue on Savannah Cat Chat. Feel free to remove my post if it provides advice that you feel is contradictory to actual cat health.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Herman I'm very sorry for your loss. I have also lost a cat to lymphoma (in her case it had nothing to do with FeLV) so I understand the heartache you are going through.