Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Walking Jacket

nickandkristi

Savannah Super Cat
We were so excited last week when Lyra's new walking jacket came in the mail, however, Lyra doesn't think it is as great as we do :( We put the jacket on her, she walked a few steps then just plopped down on the floor and kept fighting to get the jacket off. Low and behold, she used her back legs to get the whole jacket off! We have been trying to put it on her here and there, but she doesn't seem to be getting used to it.

At 9 months old, did we wait too long to get Lyra used to a walking jacket? We would welcome any advise or tips that fellow Savannah owners have on easier ways to get the jacket on or how to really get our baby used to it.

Thanks!!! :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Nope, mostly all do that at first ;) If you can leave it on her for a short while, she will get used to it...then leave it on longer and longer...then put a leash on and lead her around...she should be ready by spring, if it ever comes ;)

nickandkristi

Savannah Super Cat
LOL- yeah, right! I made my own snow day today :p UpState New York is yucky today :(

Glad to know that we are doing what is normal for Lyra to get used to the jacket. Do you think it is normal, though, for her to be able to get the jacket off when we had it on pretty snug? Nick and I could just barely slip our pinky fingers between the fabric and her belly and she layed her front arms out and used her back legs to kick the jacket off over her head!

admin

Paige
Staff member
She should not be able to get out of it that easily...where did you get the jacket?

I have actually started using the puppy harnesses for the very reason you are describing...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
We were so excited last week when Lyra's new walking jacket came in the mail, however, Lyra doesn't think it is as great as we do :( We put the jacket on her, she walked a few steps then just plopped down on the floor and kept fighting to get the jacket off. Low and behold, she used her back legs to get the whole jacket off! We have been trying to put it on her here and there, but she doesn't seem to be getting used to it.

At 9 months old, did we wait too long to get Lyra used to a walking jacket? We would welcome any advise or tips that fellow Savannah owners have on easier ways to get the jacket on or how to really get our baby used to it.

Thanks!!! :)
It's very normal for them to flop over and throw themselves about like that... getting the jacket off with her back legs may mean it wasn't fastened snugly enough... and most definitely a determined one!

I like to start my kittens at ~8 weeks old ... I feel the younger they are, the more likely to just accept new things, and seeing their littermates in the same predicament may help them too.

nickandkristi

Savannah Super Cat
Paige-

We actally ordered off the joykatz website- wondering if we maybe got the wrong size? We ordered 14", after measuring around Lyra's chest.... Where do you get the puppy harness? Think we could find one at Pet Smart?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
14" is the Large size? That to me sounds too much for a 9 month old female even if she is a good sized one. I don't even think Nina (my very tall F1 girl) wore a large at that age, she still fitted into a Medium then. She wears a Large now, but is a very lean lanky 20lbs. You can see one of my cats, Karamu, on the joykatz page for the walking jackets... I think she was about that age in that pic but wearing a Small I think still then. As adult she wore a medium.

I've not had good success with the puppy harness types, mine squiggle out of those too quickly no matter how tight I try to make the webbing, but we do all find our favorites. Try one out and see...

admin

Paige
Staff member
Paige-

We actally ordered off the joykatz website- wondering if we maybe got the wrong size? We ordered 14", after measuring around Lyra's chest.... Where do you get the puppy harness? Think we could find one at Pet Smart?

As brigitte says, it sounds too large for her...you may have to order a smaller one...I actually use both...but for me the puppy harnesses better contain them...just depends on which harness...the puppy one harnesses can be adjusted at both the neck and girth, while the puppia can only be adjusted at the neck...those seem to be the harnesses that cats slip out of.

I have several joykatz though and they are fabulous...I also have a couple from Arden, but they are just too warm for summer...

nickandkristi

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you both so much for the advice, definitely going to pick up a puppy harness and see how that works :). Nick and I have been taking Lyra out in our attached garage, that really is not a garage, but Nick's glorified gym!! She also now cries to go down in the basement- luckily our basement is finished.... She loves exploring!! This kitten has both of us wrapped right around her paw!!! She is so spoiled!! When we finally get some nice weather and open the windows, pretty sure she will be crying to explore outside.... And, how can we say no to this beautiful face???!! :) image.jpg