Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What made you decide to get a Savannah ?

A

Alice

Lol my story is not terribly different... I have always loved animals but especially exotics. I worked with wallabies, kangaroos and wallaroos but after losing my wallaby and moving into an apartment with no yard I had to pick something different. I have always liked cats, and got a little homeless Siamese mix kitten wandering the streets. She was sooo pretty and had a great little personality and lots of energy.
Then I was thinking she needs a friend to help keep her company while I work and to help her run her energy off. I started looking at Bengals (I loved their spots soon as I saw them years ago) however I wasn't sure it was exactly what I wanted.
I stumbled upon the savannah breed and it sounded like exactly what I was looking for!! I wanted a sweet, loving cat with a beautiful exotic look to her. I also wanted a cat that would be very affectionate when they weren't busy raising hell :) the savannah's are everything one could hope for, and I love that they will fetch and go for walks! My family rescued Shar Pei's growing up so the personality was perfect to me :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
We went to a cat show to look at the different cat breeds. I had in my mind I wanted an Abyssinian, for their energy and naughtiness... hubby had not ever had a purebred cat. We looked at Abys but then JN was caught by this very cool-looking spotted kitty, it was a Bengal. We were so taken by it so when we returned home (weirdly enough we went to that cat show in Australia while on vacation, but live in San Francisco), JN went online looking for Bengal breeders...and when doing that internet browsing noticed that some of the BG breeders also had these new breeds, the Savannah and Chausie. We could see the appeal of both (after all the Chausie has a lot of the look of the old-style Abyssinians who were a bit more rugged looking than the modern day ones) but the Savannah just transfixed us. And now years later, our house is FULL of them ;-)

Green eyed kitty

Mystique the dog/cat;Seraphimah spunky kitty
We grew up with a male Siamese cat. He was the sweetest cat. As children, we would dress him up in our doll clothes, swim with him in the lake, travel all over Canada with him. He was more like a dog, then a cat. When I left home, I would adopt cats in the neighbourhood and feed them. One cat we found clinging to a fence. He must have been 2-3 weeks old at the most. So I brought him into our house and kept him and gave him a home. I fed him baby formula till he was big enough to eat regular cat food. I still have him and he looks like he could be a Savannah mix gone wrong? So when he was 18 years old I started to look for another cat. Decided to go with a purebred like I grew up with. Was originally looking for a Bengal, and came across the Savannah cat. I read that the first Savannah was bred with a Siamese. Which made me curious and caused me to search further into the breed. After months of searching, I found a wonderful local breeder. Went to their home, met all their Savannah's. Saw how well the cats were raised, and that they played well with children. Brought Mystique home at the same time I delivered my fourth child. It has been a very fun year with my babies. The two of them act more like siblings, then a cat and baby. Fun to watch them interact together. Mystique has adapted well in our home. My older cat loves her too. Savannah's are fun, energetic cats. Love how Mystique has the energy like a dog, yet she is in a small form! She loves to travel with us. Glad I went with a Savannah cat!

Sunny

Loyal Servant
I was born and raised as a cat person. My old man doesn't have the Internet knows about SVs, so I was already somewhat familiar with the breed and it's hybrid nature. I also wanted a purebred for the first time to experience the differences in traits, personality, and pitfalls of the process.

I wanted two Bengals, but the BYB's were simply horrifying in person, so off I went back on the adoption path. Never regret one second of the last 5 years with my two monkeys.

I missed the early kitten stage with all 3 of my cats, though at 6mo old they are still very much babies. My melanistic male when he's eventually born out there will be coming home at 15 weeks or thereabouts, you can be sure of that!

D

Dantes

I was incredibly bonded with my male DSH Simba, and he with me. His death from brain cancer on August 3, 2010 was painful and drawn out, and I don't think I'm over it yet. A few months later I was watching videos of a ragdoll walking on a leash with a maltese (I've wanted a maltese forever too) and never having had a pedigreed pet before went and got my ragdoll Dante (apparently from a backyard breeder, and the result is he is anti-social on a good day :(). Through a ragdoll website I met someone who had both a ragdoll and a Savannah. A short story about the Savannah and her bond with him got me hooked! I knew I had to find one. Duma and I are pretty tightly bonded, considering he's still a kitten, and Duma helps me talk with Dante from time to time lol luckily they are buddies too.

Just for fun:

Dandylions

Savannah Super Cat
Wow these are great stories ... keep them coming guys :) it's really interesting reading everyone's journey to sharing their lives with these amazing companions :)

Harp

Savannah Super Cat
i was never a cat person. growing up i had terrible allergies to cats and would not go near them at all. this kept me horrified of them up until about 2 years ago. i consider myself a general animal lover, but my heart has always been towards dogs because of their loyalty. So as of 2 years ago, i have found out that i am not really all that allergic to cats anymore. i had a friend stay with me for a bit, and brought 2 cats with him. i wasnt fond of the idea at first, but he needed the setup more then anything, so i was willing to give it a chance. plus i had my own area that remained cat free. It wasnt until another person moved in with us, who also had 2 cats that i finally realized that i am no longer terrified of these animals (my allergies were so bad, i would get into sneeze fits that lasted 20-30 mins)

fast forward to about 5 months ago. sold a house that me and a friend co-owned for 4 years (bought when i was 24.) When we sold it i was determined to get a pet of my own. I always wanted a dog growing up, but my dad would not have allowed it (funny because my brother bought a dog 4 years ago, and my dad is in love with her. She is a pug named Shanti.) Although this was cool, i dont live with my parents, and i wouldnt consider the pug mine by any stretch. So it seemed it was time for me to pick a pet of my own, something i could take care of and raise the way i wanted to. Also to have a companion that will grow old with me.

so after looking at countless dogs, i was almost set on getting another pug (i LOVE pugs.) However, i am the type of person who wants something different. i always am doing stuff different then the norm, so i wanted something different for a pet. After extensive research, i stumbled across a breed, which was described everywhere as a cat dog, or a dog in a cats body. This breed of cat was said to be extremely loyal to its owner, and would bond with them. i quickly learn that this breed of cat can also be trained like a dog, to do tricks, play fetch and can also be trained to walk on a leash. this sounds perfect! exactly what i like in a dog, mixed with the awesome things about cats. to top it all off, i find out this breed can jump extremely high for a household cat, and is also said to be one of the biggest breed of domestic cat that you can own!

awesome, so i made my decision and joined a waiting list 5 months ago. cant say anything else other then im excited to pick up my new friend at the end of the week :)

D

Dantes

i was never a cat person. growing up i had terrible allergies to cats and would not go near them at all. this kept me horrified of them up until about 2 years ago.
Due to cells dying out and regenerating, your body sorta recreates itself about every 7 years.

This is why they say your allergies can change every 7 years.

It's also why when people tell me that they're allergic to cats, many times I believe it to be about fear of cats (or fear of allergies of cats), not necessarily allergies themselves.

Harp

Savannah Super Cat
Due to cells dying out and regenerating, your body sorta recreates itself about every 7 years.

This is why they say your allergies can change every 7 years.

It's also why when people tell me that they're allergic to cats, many times I believe it to be about fear of cats (or fear of allergies of cats), not necessarily allergies themselves.
very true, i am grateful now though. heres hoping they dont bother me any more :D

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm allergic to cats, I just choose to deal with the allergies (allergy and asthma meds, no carpet in house, huge HEPA filters etc) rather than live without them.