Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What should I feed my f1?

Kan

Savannah Adult
Thank you for all the suggestion, he is still picky on food but eating more raw now. This community is awesome!

Also share with you guys some new picture. I’m so glad he’s eating more raw food.

07e84118ebbe9f0960d415109ff7e4c7.jpg

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Manu+Horde

Savannah Super Cat
As WitchyWoman
suggested before - full prey may be an opportunity or as add on considerable - here in germany we can get 1kg frozen 1 day old baby chicken or frozen mize (reptile food) in our zoo shop's - maybe you'll give it a try - my F1 prefers the baby chicken - the raw food i tried with no success ... none of my cats (DSH & Savannah) where interested and i tried a lot ...

But full prey - wonderfully accepted :)

Happy Cat wishes ...

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
He is absolutely beautiful! I am really wanting an F1. Does he live in your house or an outside enclosure? I want mine to be a house cat; but I keep reading F1’s will destroy a house. My F2 eats a raw food from Darwins 2 times or more a day and has Orijen Dry food available all the time. I have learned if he won’t eat his raw, I have to take up the dry for a day and let him get a little hungry before he will eat the raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kan

Savannah Adult
As WitchyWoman
suggested before - full prey may be an opportunity or as add on considerable - here in germany we can get 1kg frozen 1 day old baby chicken or frozen mize (reptile food) in our zoo shop's - maybe you'll give it a try - my F1 prefers the baby chicken - the raw food i tried with no success ... none of my cats (DSH & Savannah) where interested and i tried a lot ...

But full prey - wonderfully accepted :)

Happy Cat wishes ...

I may start to try some whole prey later, now I added some toppings, like dried chick and dried salmon, they work wonderfully for now.

Thank you for your advice!

Kan

Savannah Adult
He is absolutely beautiful! I am really wanting an F1. Does he live in your house or an outside enclosure? I want mine to be a house cat; but I keep reading F1’s will destroy a house. My F2 eats a raw food from Darwins 2 times or more a day and has Orijen Dry food available all the time. I have learned if he won’t eat his raw, I have to take up the dry for a day and let him get a little hungry before he will eat the raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I may try your tip next time.

I always keep him inside, last weekend I took him for his first outside walking — on leash of course. And I just start to take him outside.

I only have him less than two months, so I’m not so sure how destroyable he is. What I notice is that he likes to bite/chew on all kinds of stuffs, because he need teething? I guess. Anyway, I prepared a certain type of chewy toys and also some cardboard boxes, this problem is getting better now.

He wouldn’t start to destroy, unless he was trying to get my attention. That might be a problem, I only have him, I don’t have any other pet, so he doesn’t have a playmate to disturb. When I don’t pay attention to him but he wants to play( he has so much energy, he always wants to play), he may start to destroy, like biting electric cords, knocking down small items on table, jumping around crazily...etc.

However, if I’m not around, he will go to sleep. He never destroyed anything yet when I was out.

I’m thinking to get him a playmate, but I’m not so sure I could handle two cats.

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
He is a very pretty boy! Let us know how the diet goes, I am curious to see how the switch to raw goes.

Manu+Horde

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you! I may try your tip next time.

I always keep him inside, last weekend I took him for his first outside walking — on leash of course. And I just start to take him outside.

I only have him less than two months, so I’m not so sure how destroyable he is. What I notice is that he likes to bite/chew on all kinds of stuffs, because he need teething? I guess. Anyway, I prepared a certain type of chewy toys and also some cardboard boxes, this problem is getting better now.

He wouldn’t start to destroy, unless he was trying to get my attention. That might be a problem, I only have him, I don’t have any other pet, so he doesn’t have a playmate to disturb. When I don’t pay attention to him but he wants to play( he has so much energy, he always wants to play), he may start to destroy, like biting electric cords, knocking down small items on table, jumping around crazily...etc.

However, if I’m not around, he will go to sleep. He never destroyed anything yet when I was out.

I’m thinking to get him a playmate, but I’m not so sure I could handle two cats.

Hi Kan,

when you are having one cat - especially a Savannah so - a second playmate - will more easier things for you than you have to handle. Ok you need to prepare a bit more food - you need to play with both of them - but a cat alone can become social problems when there are no other cats around - you can do your best to play and interact with your cat but you are not a cat ... so something is missing. For sure when sombody let the cat roam outside - the cat will meet other cat's outside for the social communication - but with a Savannah F1 to let roam outside is not a good idea - but completely shut the contact to another cat down is also not ideal. In my opinion it would be best to reconsider for yourself - if you get him a playmate - he's young now he would really be easy to get along with a playmate at nearly same age or bit younger - it is not neccessary to get a second Savannah - it could be another DSH or whatever you like for an other cat - sure ... it should be a cat that have also a bit power / energy to hold up with the Savannah - like a DSH/Bengal mix eventually ... but there are a lot of possibilities.

My Savannah girl Nabila also F1 get very well along with my 2 european/british short hair mix girls - when I'm not at home - none of my cats are feeling alone - nearly nothing gets destroyed (only accidential by playing flying cats) and if you have one cat to manage the second one is nothing to worry about ... you really don't have to worry about to handle one more - but the effort you have is the social contact between cats - they play together and give you a bit more break's - that's for sure - when they paly they are powering themselves out and rest more ... when a cat is alone the cat want to be entertained just by you - just your attention and most likely it could be that wehn your F1 gets larger and stronger and is seeing you as playmate - it could be possible that the play gets harder and could turn into scratching / biting cause you cant speak cattish (some posts here in the forum displayed this behavior by only one cat as problem) - so - in my opinion - also from the heart speaking for the cat - reconsider - check out for a playmate and cat friend ... it would help more then you have to worry about if you can handle 2 cats it is not much more work.

Others here can give you for sure also good informations which cat race is working well with Savannah's - i can just say - my DSH handle well with Nabila ...

Hope my informations is helping you a bit ...

Happy cat wishes ...

John Popp

Site Supporter
when you are having one cat - especially a Savannah so - a second playmate - will more easier things for you than you have to handle.

I always love this and the community that supports this idea. What I have drawn from my experience is living with one F1 is like having a home on the southern Atlantic shore that has been ravaged by a hurricane. The conventional wisdom is having two F1s or two savannahs, they will somehow scrub some energy from one another, while in my experience they are just two concurrent hurricanes striking your home, oft rising to the level of a tsunami.

Meanwhile, these demented people are off giggling somewhere, mumbling to a herd of cats while they cruise Amazon to make sure they have adequate offerings to keep the silly beasts occupied.