Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Who think this is OK?

It is UNETHICAL for a breeder. It undervalues the life and the care of said kitten.

It is not unusual in the exotic pet world to have animals auctioned off- in fact, there are a few auctions every year throughout the United States. However, in the world of purebred cats/dogs, it has long been held that these are the actions of an unethical breeder.

Unfortunately, you will see different answers between owners and breeders. Ethics defines a group of values within a class. For the breeders, this is unethical and not a sound practice. For buyers- I don't think you'll find many who will outright say it's unethical. Let's admit it- who wouldn't want a free nice Savannah just for 'liking' a page?

Ah- and just an FYI- there was one very large breeder who did that. They did NOT interview the new home- the new home knew nothing about the breed and actually only liked the Facebook page of that breeder because it was part of their job as a club promoter. That kitten was hand delivered to said winner and then the winner turned around and posted the Savannah for sale on Craigslist. THIS is the reality of auctions.

A

Alice

It sounds like they are kinda desperate to pay for the funeral too. I totally understand that, as I couldn't afford to give my father a funeral so I guess I give them credit for thinking up a way to raise money. It is expensive to die!! Lol

A

Alice

It is UNETHICAL for a breeder. It undervalues the life and the care of said kitten.

It is not unusual in the exotic pet world to have animals auctioned off- in fact, there are a few auctions every year throughout the United States. However, in the world of purebred cats/dogs, it has long been held that these are the actions of an unethical breeder.

Unfortunately, you will see different answers between owners and breeders. Ethics defines a group of values within a class. For the breeders, this is unethical and not a sound practice. For buyers- I don't think you'll find many who will outright say it's unethical. Let's admit it- who wouldn't want a free nice Savannah just for 'liking' a page?

Ah- and just an FYI- there was one very large breeder who did that. They did NOT interview the new home- the new home knew nothing about the breed and actually only liked the Facebook page of that breeder because it was part of their job as a club promoter. That kitten was hand delivered to said winner and then the winner turned around and posted the Savannah for sale on Craigslist. THIS is the reality of auctions.
What!!!! Omg!!! :O I don't remember what breeder I saw, though hopefully it wasn't the same? As they did say they needed a completed app and Vet references... Omg that is just awful.
You are right, I guess that wouldn't actually work, I had thought surely just because a person didn't pay as much for a kitten that they wouldn't value it any less. That the winner would know and love Savannahs and treasure said kitten and be over the moon about their new addition.
So sad, I guess that's the world we live in. We gotta pay lots of money to value something or someone.... :(

admin

Paige
Staff member
I see it as more of a questionable practice than one as unethical. If the bidders are screened beforehand, it's not likely that big of a deal, just wouldn't advise it as that's not the perception a breeder should want hanging over their business. Then of course you have the customers lacking in emotional attachment as it's a kitten they might not walk away with and that van have a negative impact.

Also, is this a kitten yet to be born or one that already exists?

Overall I just think it's weird but it happens all the time with horses and livestock, some of which are destined to have all the emotional attachment we have to our cats.
It is entirely different with horses and livestock John...as it is we are being targeted by AR extremists and HSUS...we do not need another thing to help them ban our pets...

admin

Paige
Staff member
It sounds like they are kinda desperate to pay for the funeral too. I totally understand that, as I couldn't afford to give my father a funeral so I guess I give them credit for thinking up a way to raise money. It is expensive to die!! Lol
I understand Alice...but sell your TV or stereo...not one of your beloved kittens...

John Popp

Site Supporter
The question of how this would be viewed by outside influences is certainly a concern although that is not really a question of morality at the behest of the breeder offering a kitten for auction.

Before this goes on much further, I think it's a bad idea. I think the breeder isn't too bright. I think it's an awful business decision. If prescreening doesn't take place then I don't question that it is unethical. Otherwise, at the source I don't find it immoral just unfortunate.

Before this goes on much further, I think it's a bad idea. I think the breeder isn't too bright. I think it's an awful business decision. If prescreening doesn't take place then I don't question that it is unethical. Otherwise, at the source I don't find it immoral just unfortunate.
I do agree- it would seem that you'd be able to auction an animal and then be able to screen through the applications. It doesn't seem that difficult. BUT- on the flip side, if we are trying (as breeders) to represent to the world at whole that we care for where our babies go- auctions do not send that message at all.

Alice- btw- I've only known of two SV auctions in the past six or seven years. One was not on Facebook and I know where that girl went (and it wasn't through the auction- the breeder pulled it after there was a hue and cry about it)- the other was on FB- and that kitty is safe, sound, and loved, thanks to rescue's efforts.