Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Why do some breeders use Bengals in SV breeding??....

admin

Paige
Staff member
Dagger was a much loved, big sap of a cat. I was really heart broken for his family when misty called me about losing him.I an glad to carry on his bloodlines. Shelby also has a dagger f1 on her Cattery as well.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

trish, I didn't know about Dagger - that is so sad...is Annie related to Dagger?

Trish Allearz

If you asking about Shelby's girl- yeah, I think it's Annie who is Dagger's little girl. Dagger's babies all very closely resemble one another- IMHO- and have the sweetest personalities. Biased? Perhaps ;)

S

shelby

I may be a little confused here , but...are you saying the F1 female was bred to a Bengal to produce your F2s...or that the Serval was bred to a Bengal to produce the grandmother of your babies? Most lines do have Bengal as well as many other breeds. All of these outcrosses have contributed much to the Savannah breed and from a breeders standpoint....... I have to say bless those Bengals, Oriental Shorthairs, Maus and the Dometic Shorthairs that have made this breed what it is today. Bless these beautiful souls that care not who their parents are;>)

S

shelby

My Annie is a total love and I am thankful every day for her. She has a daughter here that is fall all over you sweet also. Paige met my Allie cat;>) LOL

admin

Paige
Staff member
allie is an absolute doll...one of my favorites.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

S

shelby

I should have added...Annie is where she was meant to be. i LOVE THIS GIRL WITH WHITE THAT WILL BLIND YOU;>) i could care less that her mother is a black and white DSH . She could not be more loved and money could not buy her;>)

Kristine

It doesn't seem right to me that some breeders are using Bengals to breed SV's and don't explain that when you go to purchase. I was under the impression that Siamese and Oriental Shorthair were used to breed SV's.
Various breeds have been used in the Savannah breed. Oriental SH, Ocicat, E. Mau, Domestic Shorthair, Maine Coon and others. This is primarily because we do not have fertility in our early generation Savannah males. So...breeders had to choose an outcross breed which they believed would enhance the looks of their Savannah females. Now that we have more males, hardly anyone uses any outcrosses. However, unless you have an SBT cat, you will see the outcrosses in the pedigree. My own lines have Bengal, Ocicat, Oriental Shorthair in them way back. Nothing wrong with that as I started breeding at a time when there were few (I had to import my first Savannah male from Sweden as there were not any available in the US) fertile male Savannahs. Not every breeder had the resources or opportunity to do the same.

Kristine

I got Abu's papers a couple days ago. Ty Trish. I noticed on them that you have an opportunity to request an additional 3 or 5 generations of information about your cat from TICA. I was just wondering because I was interested in both of the boys lineage (I personally suspect that Abu has some Great Dane in him ;)). Do any of you know what happens if they don't have the amount of information available that you paid for. Do you get reimbursed? I know that information is more sought after by breeders, but curiousity cost the cat 6 lives (but didn't kill him). :)
TICA fills in the blanks with "Unknown" but still charges you (-:

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
I know Bengals are one the breeds that Servals would breed with often due to size and temperament and they do make very pretty crosses. Some of the best looking F1s have Bengal parents. However, most are not high generation Bengals like F2s etc they are lower gens so the amount of wild blood is negligible. Often breeders would use "bad Bengals" or ones that don't fit the Bengal profile of shorter legs and small ears and chose ones that are more leggy etc.
I was pretty anti- Bengal but some of my nicest kittens came from an F2 with a lot Bengal both is size and temperament. It is good to come armed with questions if you are concerned about background heritage in your cats. There are some weird crosses. I have one that has a solid colored cornish rex in the pedigree.
The biggest concern comes in the lower generations, F5, F6 etc. If you have too much of one breed, the kittens begin to lean toward that breed if you are careful. Too much Bengal, they will look like Bengals.