Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

2 F6 kittens peeing - HELP!

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Then this morning, apparently I forgot to spray citrus in the tub last night, I do this 2X daily, to deter them, and I woke up to someone PEEEED in the bathtub.

I’ve heard of several SVs who like to use sinks and bathtubs for their liquid business. If that’s the worst of it, and there isn’t any more furniture peeing, then I’d just either keep spraying your tub or rinse it after they go.

Incidentally, if you have neutered males, and they are prone to urine crystals it could cause them to pee outside the box due to associating it with painful urination. We have one like this and modified diet has been the only thing to help. What are you feeding them?

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
I’ve heard of several SVs who like to use sinks and bathtubs for their liquid business. If that’s the worst of it, and there isn’t any more furniture peeing, then I’d just either keep spraying your tub or rinse it after they go.

Incidentally, if you have neutered males, and they are prone to urine crystals it could cause them to pee outside the box due to associating it with painful urination. We have one like this and modified diet has been the only thing to help. What are you feeding them?

Hi, Thanks for your reply!!
I guess I could live with pee in the tub if I had to and that was the only place. They are still in quarantine, I feed them a variety of wet canned food:
Basic Instinct, Merricks Kitten dinner pate and Whole Hearted. In addition, they have Canande Salmon Kibble out all the time. Every few days, they get canned tuna, Bumblebee in water.

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Hi, Thanks for your reply!!
I guess I could live with pee in the tub if I had to and that was the only place. They are still in quarantine, I feed them a variety of wet canned food:
Basic Instinct, Merricks Kitten dinner pate and Whole Hearted. In addition, they have Canande Salmon Kibble out all the time. Every few days, they get canned tuna, Bumblebee in water. Sometimes they also get boiled organic chicken cut up.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Agreed to cutting out the tuna. In addition to the reasons in the article in the previous post, it also contains way more sodium (even the low sodium kind) than is good for cats.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
I would definitely cut out the Tuna. And I personally wouldn’t feed fish dry food (or canned for that matter).
https://littlebigcat.com/nutrition/why-fish-is-dangerous-for-cats/

I recently read an article (grr can’t find it now) that says tapeworm is being found in most kinds of Pacific salmon now. Something only found previously in fish from Asia. Scientists think it’s from the thousands of farm fish that are getting loose every year. Humans shouldn’t be eating it anymore, either.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Back to the peeing issue - first off, peeing in sinks and bathtubs is NOT a Savannah specific issue, but can be seen in all cat breeds. Since the kittens are young and this just started I would immediately purchase some Cat Attract litter or additive and start using it in their litter boxes. I have found this to resolve most peeing 'accidents' immediately, and whatever didn't resolve right away corrected itself after a few days.

In case this is an issue of peeing and/or pooping in the same box with another kitten (some kittens don't like to pee and poop in the same litter box, and some don't like to share their litter box with other kittens) I would add at least one more litter box, although the rule of thumb is always one litter box per kitten, plus one more.

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
I recently read an article (grr can’t find it now) that says tapeworm is being found in most kinds of Pacific salmon now. Something only found previously in fish from Asia. Scientists think it’s from the thousands of farm fish that are getting loose every year. Humans shouldn’t be eating it anymore, either.
Thank you for the interesting article, the kittens seem to prefer chicken overall!

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Back to the peeing issue - first off, peeing in sinks and bathtubs is NOT a Savannah specific issue, but can be seen in all cat breeds. Since the kittens are young and this just started I would immediately purchase some Cat Attract litter or additive and start using it in their litter boxes. I have found this to resolve most peeing 'accidents' immediately, and whatever didn't resolve right away corrected itself after a few days.

In case this is an issue of peeing and/or pooping in the same box with another kitten (some kittens don't like to pee and poop in the same litter box, and some don't like to share their litter box with other kittens) I would add at least one more litter box, although the rule of thumb is always one litter box per kitten, plus one more.

Yes, back to the peeing, thank you. (Although I don't mind other advice:)
I got the kitty to attract litter, which I am using, plus 2 GIANT plastic tubs. I also use the orange citrus spray in the bathtub to discourage them. I guess my question is given that they had technically one accident now in the tub, over the duration of being isolated for 13 days, how much longer should I keep isolated like this?

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Yes, back to the peeing, thank you. (Although I don't mind other advice
Sorry my relevant point in not feeding fish is that it can cause urinary issues in male cats. (Among the other issues in the article)

And I agree with Patti that you should get additional boxes, not just 2 bigger boxes. Many cats like their own box, not sharing with another cat. Rule of thumb is one box per cat, plus at least one extra. So for 2 cats- 3 boxes. But in the case of having peeing issues the more boxes the better. I’d add another box or two and keep them in quarantine to see how it goes.