Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

2 F6 kittens peeing - HELP!

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Sorry my relevant point in not feeding fish is that it can cause urinary issues in male cats. (Among the other issues in the article)

And I agree with Patti that you should get additional boxes, not just 2 bigger boxes. Many cats like their own box, not sharing with another cat. Rule of thumb is one box per cat, plus at least one extra. So for 2 cats- 3 boxes. But in the case of having peeing issues the more boxes the better. I’d add another box or two and keep them in quarantine to see how it goes.
Hi, OK, understand, I'll add a 3rd into the space they are in.
How much longer should I keep them quarantined?

Just to clarify, I never said sink/bathtub peeing was breed specific to SVs, just that I’ve heard many reports (not just here) that they like to use them. Mine never have, but my bestie has an f7 who prefers the laundry sink to his boxes - never goes anywhere else in the house. Uses the boxes for number 2.

Also, just a thought - maybe try putting an extra box IN the bathtub and see if they use it rather than the tub? Then it take out and leave it nearby when they leave quarantine, if they keep using it you can slowly move it farther away until it’s where you want it.

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Good Morning!
Thank you for the Tub idea I wanted to report an update here! The cats got let out from my bedroom quarantine to the upstairs level and main level on Christmas Day. About three days later we had an accident upstairs in my bedroom bathroom in the bathtub. I for gave them but still didn’t release them to the lower level.I for gave them but still didn’t release them to the lower level. on New Year’s Day I let them go into the lower level with another two giant litter boxes down there so altogether I have four giant litter boxes.

We had an accident two days ago in the upstairs other bathroom tub, my son forgot to close the door I’m still keeping all the upstairs doors closed.

I am like a Nazi about cleaning the litter boxes!!! I clean it in the morning before I go to work and I clean it at night before I go to bed.

Overall I I think we’re doing OK and I’m optimistic does anybody have any thoughts please?
BTW, The kitties are so happy to be out in the see everybody all the time!

Moggiesnewmom

Savannah Super Cat
Wow... I can only imagine how difficult this must be and have no personal experience with cats peeing where I don’t want them to. But when he was younger my F7 SBT seemed to have a preference to pee in water and when out on a leash, he seemed to chose low lying wet places to do this. People with his siblings have found some of them trained themselves to use the human toilet. So maybe they are attracted to the moisture in the bathtubs? This may be a bad idea, but as an experiment that would not be too confusing to them, maybe you could try a cleaned litter box near the tub, with a bit of water in it, and a small board over one end for them to perch on, just to see if it is the moisture that is attracting them?

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Wow... I can only imagine how difficult this must be and have no personal experience with cats peeing where I don’t want them to. But when he was younger my F7 SBT seemed to have a preference to pee in water and when out on a leash, he seemed to chose low lying wet places to do this. People with his siblings have found some of them trained themselves to use the human toilet. So maybe they are attracted to the moisture in the bathtubs? This may be a bad idea, but as an experiment that would not be too confusing to them, maybe you could try a cleaned litter box near the tub, with a bit of water in it, and a small board over one end for them to perch on, just to see if it is the moisture that is attracting them?
oh very interesting thought! I know one of the boys loves to play with dripping water so perhaps that is the case!!! Which means maybe I should make sure the bathtub is dry I always use my citrus orange spray in my bathtub in my bedroom and now since using that have not had a problem. But my son doesn’t use that I just tell him to keep the door closed I bet you’re right! thank you for that interesting insight!!!!

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to report back on my two furbabies with GREAT news! My guys are ONLY using the litter boxes!!!

I really wanted to say a HUGE thank you to all the experts who advised me on what to do. It was NOT EASY, took a tremendous amount of work, but I am absolutely thrilled to say, I believe that we have made it to the other side! During the ordeal, which lasted almost 3 months, my 23-year-old son said, "Mom, these cats are a lot of work, is this supposed to be like this? I know people who have cats, and they say they never have to go through what were are having to do!"

It was so worth it. I was almost going to give up, but I really wanted to keep both of them. And now we can thanks to all of YOU!! And thank you for this fantastic forum which allowed me to ask the questions in the first place!!

Thank you again Everyone!

Attachments