Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

24 hours after getting my F2 home

Todd L

Savannah Super Cat
Well i just want to update everyone. I am still having alot of trust issues with my new F2. When i say trust i mean he doesnt trust any of us. He hides all the time. If we bring him out for example to the couch, he will nudge under the cushins or under a blanket if one is there. I know he cant be happy hiding all the time. What do i do??? I really just want him to be a happy kitty. And i want to be able to bond with him as well.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well i just want to update everyone. I am still having alot of trust issues with my new F2. When i say trust i mean he doesnt trust any of us. He hides all the time. If we bring him out for example to the couch, he will nudge under the cushins or under a blanket if one is there. I know he cant be happy hiding all the time. What do i do??? I really just want him to be a happy kitty. And i want to be able to bond with him as well.
todd, you can't rush it...you said you brought him out to the couch...he needs to come out on his own...he is hiding because he does not feel safe...so you need to let him be until he feels safe and comes out on his own...if you are keeping hi in the bathroom, then sit and talk to him, read to him, while he is in there...eventually he will come out and begin to trust you...but it will have to be on his terms, not yours...

It may take days or weeks...have you spoken to richard?

Medesha

Savannah Super Cat

Yeah, it's going to take a little while before he's comfortable. Even the most outgoing, best socialized kitty is going to need some time to adjust after moving to a new home. You have to slowly introduce him to the rest of the house and the other people/pets in it, but before that you want to make sure he bonds to you first and feels like you (and by extension your voice and smell) are good and safe.

Spend more time with him in the bathroom. You'll know he's ready to explore the rest of the house and meet the rest of the family when he tries to follow you out of the bathroom and cries when you leave.

B

Breheart

I agree, the move to the couch was too soon, and bringing him out against his will may be frightening and making him take a step back. I would wait until however long it takes for him to feel 100% confident in the bathroom, and then let him out to wander when he feels ready to. What the others have said is great, try associating positive things with each of your visits, play time, toys, treats. Once he is walking around like he owns the bathroom and has warmed up to you, then he is ready for the next step :)

T

The Kasbah

Is your F2 boy a baby or an adult? I see that the others on the forum have assumed that he is an adult, but in your message asking for advice, you didn't actually specify this. If you are working on socializing an adult, the process is somewhat different in my experience. Please clarify.

Todd L

Savannah Super Cat
My F2 was born october 30th 2011. So he is almost a year old. However even know he isnt that old he has had alot go on in his life. He was originally sold as a breeder to someone else as everyone thought he was a girl. Then a month in the new owners realized he was a male not female so he was returned to the original breeder. He then stayed with the breeder until i purchased him. So he has been moved around quite abit in his young life.

Anyways i did move him back into the bathroom yesterday and to my surprise he instantly started comming around. I was shocked! He let me play with him, he wanted to be pet non-stop and purred like a well oiled machine. =) And when i would leave he would follow me to the door as if saying hey i want back out too. Which i didnt do yet. When i went in to take a shower this morning he started Meowing like mad running all around the bathroom. He was even trying to open the bathroom door. "My thoughts maybe the sound of the shower scared him". Anyways i cut my shower short and when i came out he was right there between my legs wanting attention. So I spent a few minutes with him before i left for work.

Thanks again to everyone for there advice. You all were obviously correct in that he wasnt ready completely to start roaming the house. My wife and I are going to take a more gradual approach with him.

I will keep you all updated on our progress. I think based off his actions lastnight everything will work out good its just going to take a bit more time to completely warm up to us and feel safe.

M

MK Anderson

Oh, that's wonderful Todd!! glad to hear that. I think he's just not ready for all that open space, till he get comfortable with you all. He is trusting you it sounds like and wants to bond, so just take baby steps...:)