Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Akila not gaining weight

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
Before you said the vet said Akila had FIP, you mentioned they were thinking Akila had either a thyroid problem or portosystemic liver shunt.

I have been feeling incompetent to ask much about blood work results, but based on my own limited experience a fasting bile acid test and then another bile acid test right after eating are what is normally used to rule out a liver shunt, and one of the early symptoms of this is stunted growth.

Was Akila given these 2 bile acid tests to rule this out?

Moggie’s resting bile acid turned out to be too high to draw any conclusions except something was seriously wrong, and an ultrasound to look at his liver, which was so diminished the vet could not feel it, was the next plan, but he passed away before this happened. So if the liver shunt was not entirely ruled out by the bile acid tests, this would be something else to check out while using an ultrasound. The link below also mentions ultrasound can be one of the things used to diagnose this. If caught early these shunts can sometimes be managed through a low protein diet and lactulous which reduces the ammonia in the blood stream. And a complete cure through surgery is possible in about 50% of cases, though this is very very expensive and would only be affordable for many if their cat had a good health insurance plan

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.co...og-and-cat-proceedings?id=&sk=&date=&pageID=2

Akila

Site Supporter
They did not test for liver shunts that way. They just took a blood test , and because her Corona viruse numbers were so high they just assume it is FIP. Akila is scheduled for an ultrasound on Wednesday, and I spoke to the Doctor yesterday, she told me she will be looking for all if any abnormalities.

admin

Paige
Staff member
What is her a/g ratio? Often that will be more of an indication of FIP than anything else. Corona titers do NOT indicate FIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akila

Site Supporter
The other things that were on the high side were her Phosphorus, Creatine Kinase, Monocyte, and FeCoV Antibody.

admin

Paige
Staff member
The other things that were on the high side were her Phosphorus, Creatine Kinase, Monocyte, and FeCoV Antibody.

That sounds more like kidney disease. An increased phosphorus and creatinine are major signs of kidney disease in cats. The Corona titers don't mean FIP. They need to do an a/g ratio as well, but it doesn't sound like FIP to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akila

Site Supporter
They did an ultrasound on Akila yesterday and the Doctor said she did not see anything on the ultrasound that pointed to FIP. The doctor is looking for the best lab to do the alpha-1 acid glycoprotein test. She did look at all of Akila's organs and said everything looked good.

The A/G ratio was done on the last blood test it was .07 with the range being .05-1.2, so that was on the low side of normal.

Doc is also checking into doing a growth hormone test.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
This is sounding less and less like FIP which is reassuring, but I hope you can get a definitive answer eventually about what is going on with her.

Akila

Site Supporter
Good Morning all,

It is with immense sorrow that I write this. Akila crossed the Rainbow bridge on Tuesday. She was very lazy over the weekend, but still eating (although) not much, using the box … On Monday she was still not moving around a lot, so I brought her her food and I noticed that she really wasn't getting up much. Monday night I was sitting next to her and noticed that her limbs were awkward, so I lifted her up and put her back down and she could not support her weight. I picked her up and she was liked a dish towel in my arms. I rushed her to the nearest 24 hour emergency hospital where they started IV fluids and started testing her. They did bloodwork, x-rays ,ultrasound, keep her on oxygen all night...

I went to the hospital on Tuesday and was told that she still could not stand on her own and that what ever she had become neurological. The said I could have CT scans run, MRI's, spinal taps... which I had thought about until I saw her. I told myself that if her quality of life was ever affected by whatever she had I would do the right thing by her. I love her enough to let her rest.

I want to thank all of you who have answered my questions, and helped me through trying to figure out what was wrong with my Baby.

Joanne and Akila