Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Are 2 Savannah’s better than 1

S

Super_Nova1

Thanks everyone for the comments thus far.

I love Nova. I love him to death. There are times when my wife has to leave the room because Nova starts to play too rough.
He latches on to her leg and starts rabbit kicking, or if she’s sitting on the bed playing with him, he will go across the room, eye her up, then come at her full speed, leap and attack one of her arms.
Oh! Buttons or draw strings on clothes... tuck them in or they are going with Nova.

But then there are times when he is such a sweet kitten. I get into bed, Nova will stand on my chest head butting and kissing me.
Then will start trying to dig into the blankets- which is his way of saying lift the blankets and let me in.
Then there are times where he don’t want to be pet. It’s a fight just o hold him for 30 seconds.
He’s just in Go, Go, Go mode.
With his personality, he is truly one of a kind. So vocal and curious and Loves every single toy we buy him.

I would love to get another SV.
I guess we would just have to make some more adjustments to things.
For a month or so, we were talking about getting a Serval.

Building a big enclosure in the backyard, turning one of the larger spare rooms in the house, into the design cat room.
The only thing that stops us is that we heard with a Serval, someone needs to be home pretty much constantly with them.
Not sure how true it is. But we have heard that more than just a few times.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
When the number of inmates is greater than the number of wait staff
You seem to be awful confused considering the number of spotted wonders you've dealt with. They're not inmates, they're demanding residents, often served by inept servants. And the degree of ineptness is defined by number of SV's. You should know this with authority by now.......
I not only question your sanity but are you sure you have enough liver left for 8 SVs?
SMH...What liver? We both know her liver is long gone. Reading the (Br)Atticus Diaries tells the tale.
I have 4 of these things around here as you well know. They know me by first name at the local ethanol dealer. My home repair budget grows every year, although I have a long way to go to catch up with Witchy.

That being said, I absolutely enjoy the antics all day long. Nothing really gets done around here in an efficient manner as the 4 supervisors are constantly in my or my wife's face. The Xmas tree is under non stop attack and quite soon I will have to do something about my wife's mechanical alopecia. Maybe that will be her Xmas gift.

Yes, get a second cat. You will not have lived until you've experienced two SV's. I do caution adding a third..... only the hard core can handle that.:)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
For a month or so, we were talking about getting a Serval.

Building a big enclosure in the backyard, turning one of the larger spare rooms in the house, into the design cat room.
The only thing that stops us is that we heard with a Serval, someone needs to be home pretty much constantly with them.
Not sure how true it is. But we have heard that more than just a few times.
It is absolutely true that having a serval pins you to your home for life. Servals bond to one or two people and if you don't have a cat sitter with whom the serval will bond right at the get-go, then you won't ever take another vacation. There are serval groups on Facebook you can join to get first-hand knowledge from serval owners and I strongly recommend you do a lot of research.

FYI, when I got my F1, I introduced him to my cat sitter the week after he arrived and she visited him every day for a month to play with and feed him and then a few days a week for another few months before we took our first vacation. When he was a baby, he tolerated our absences during vacations. But, as he got older, he became less tolerant of our leaving and got grumpy with the sitter, challenging her physically. He knocked her down once. There are times when she's had to keep a broom with her to use as a shield. He's a very large cat and when he's unhappy, he can be a nightmare. So if that occurs with an F1, consider what that means when you own a serval.

S

Super_Nova1

Okay so it is true then about Servals then.

Well, the wife and I, are in our mid thirties, and we do appreciate that we can take the family on a vacation when we want.

Perhaps we will have to wait a few years before a Serval.

Our 2 DSH’s are 10 years old - they were actually born on my birthday.
I really don’t think they would appreciate a Serval in their old age.

but by the sounds of it perhaps another SV would benefit Nova.

John Popp

Site Supporter
So if that occurs with an F1, consider what that means when you own a serval.
Interestingly, I was speaking to someone a few weeks back who owns a few servals, has had 5 in all, and has had 3-f1 Savannahs. She noted that her favorite pet of all time has been an f1 Savannah, but she also noted the f1s were pouty, pig-headed and spoiled, whereas her Servals were big and clumsy, but they would LISTEN!

She also shared some of the other same experiences we have had with our F1 boys, from vindictive pooping and peeing, to pouting for hours because you suggested not swinging from the chandelier. Servals she said, just don't do these sorts of things. So I'm not really sure what to think, and a small sample size could make her experience an outlier. On the other side of the coin, domestic cats aren't exactly the poster children for being complacent and of sound mind, so perhaps there is something to this genetic crap shoot making f1s unique and off the hook juggernauts.

Hippy

Site Supporter
Well I'm Late to the party.. So anything I would of answered was allready answered and explained..

But the title, are 2 better than one..

In my opinion yes
So the next question
What's better than 2..

Simple 3 ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hippy

Site Supporter
I
Love The math

Mine are like

Si and am from Disney lady and the tramp

"We are Siamese if you please
We are Siamese if you don't please
We are former residents of Siam
There are no finer cat than I am"

They walk around like the whole world revolves around them

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am firmly in the know your limits and stay within it camp...Much as I love both of mine, and have no regrets getting a companion for my first, there is no way I would feel it was being responsible or in the interest of my cats to get more than 2 ! Besides the financial commitment, it seems both of them see my attention as a valued resource, and I would never want that to get spread so thin anyone felt left out. Even with just 2 this can be challenging, and I don't feel the younger cat has had as much chance to develop his full potential as my first. I just can't give both 100% on an individual basis. And there is some practical problems like taking the one out on a leash without the other, which leads to one very unhappy cat, but it is also difficult trying to take them both out on a leash at the same time... But I am the only human cat servant in the house, so it would be different in a situation where there was more human care givers available. And as has been mentioned here already, with every additional cat, it is a bit of a roll of the dice whether the dynamics will be harmonious. Probably the bottom line should be what is most likely to be best for the resident cats.